Notices

"Any "Known" Issues with 981?

Old 05-13-2019, 09:43 AM
white924s
Addict
Rennlist Member

I’ve had almost no issues so far (knock wood)...in 4 years and ~25K miles, the only repairs I can think of are: door cards were replaced under warranty, a leak from a transmission cooler seal (fixed under warranty by the dealer), and a bent rim (NYC area streets...that was fixed by the dealer on my dime)
Old 05-13-2019, 10:45 AM
okie981
Addict
Rennlist Member

Matt at Guard Transmissions posted on some other RL threads about PDK failures. For unknown reasons, the bonafide failures (as opposed to mis-diagnosed electrical issues where a new battery fixed the "fault"), the failure mode is loss of ability to select reverse gear along with a transmission fault message in the dash display. No exploding parts, no broken gears or clutches, no damaged shift mechanisms. Also interesting is that these loss of ability to select reverse gear failures are only seen in PDK gearboxes that do NOT have the factory LSD. If the PDK car has OEM LSD (or PTV which mandates OEM LSD), the loss of selectable reverse gear failure does not occur.

EDIT: Forgot to say these failures are not common. The failure mode is consistent, but the numbers of failures is a small percentage.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:26 PM
denniscasey
User

Thanks to all for informative comments. I may consider having dealer CPO car (seems the most comprehensive extended warranty) for peace of mind but given my use of car it is not going to get many miles on it in the next two years. I will refer to the door panel issue as a "functional" defect rather than "cosmetic" issue just to ensure warranty coverage applies. Conjecture has been that only a specified production series of 981 cars has problem for some reason (adhesive, panel materials, condition of manufacture. etc??). Has there been any verification of that such that we know which VIN cars have this as a lurking issue??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: