Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Boxster 987 roof and spoiler inoperative

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 04:58 PM
SpawnyWhippet
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2005 Boxster 987 roof and spoiler inoperative

Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.

I bought a project 2005 987 Boxster S Tiptronic that had been parked up for 6 months and a reasonable amount of rain water got into the passenger compartment. The rear control module under the drivers seat was corroded and toast, so I replaced it. I also installed a new battery as the previous battery did not hold a good charge.

I now have functional rear lights, but the spoiler is stuck in a slightly raised position and the roof does not operate at all. If the battery is connected and the car is shut off with no key in it, there is a double clunking noise from the trunk area every 30 seconds or so. The parking brake light comes on when I apply the brake. The soft top roof switch does not do anything. The manual spoiler switch does not do anything. When I try to operate the same units from the Durametric 'activations' page, I get nothing.

(Also, the fuel gauge shows totally empty and Durametric reports an issue with Fuel Level Sender, so I have ordered a used one off ebay.)
I scanned for codes using Durametric and got the following 8004 error, which I have googled extensively with no good solution found:

Rear Body Module
Current Fault Codes
8004: Terminal 30 voltage supply motors

Right Door Module
Current Fault Codes
C121: Communication rear control unit (comfort)
8701: Door lock module
8705: Door lock signal implausible

Instrument cluster - 9x7
Current Fault Codes
9112: Fuel level sender

Porsche Stability Management - PSM
Current Fault Codes
4444: Steering-angle sensor not initialized
Old 05-14-2019, 05:38 PM
SpawnyWhippet
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Condition update: I discovered that fuse A3 was blown and the convertible roof relays above the drivers footwell fuse box were clicking, but not actually working. The relays did not switch any current when I applied voltage to them. I replaced both and now have an operational roof motor, spoiler and lifting decklid cover. I guess it has not moved in many years as the first thing that happened when the roof started moving was the 2 plastic ball joints broke immediately- I have ordered $30 OEM replacements from ebay. I also found 2 loose triangular plastic trim covers trapped in the roof mechanism, one on each side. I am quite sure I will find further issues when the ball joints are replaced, and I need to find where the loose trim covers need to be re-installed to.

The regular double clunk noise has stopped, so I can now leave the battery connected all the time.

I also discovered that the windows did not go up and down and neither frunk nor trunk opened with the switches on the drivers door sill, but Durametric activations could operate all of these remotely. Replacement used switches from ebay resolved both issues.

The fuel gauge was not operational. A replacement sender unit was fitted, as the old sender unit has fallen apart inside of the tank.
The following 2 users liked this post by SpawnyWhippet:
scottmcdaniel (09-10-2021), vroom23 (05-22-2023)

Quick Reply: 2005 Boxster 987 roof and spoiler inoperative