Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S Cold Start Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 01:59 PM
NJR1986
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Cayman S Cold Start Question

Let me preface by saying I know this may come to many as not a preferred practice and I understand everyone is entitled to their opinions, however, Im asking for some help. What are your thoughts on this engine start up and run?

I will reserve my initial thoughts to avoid persuading anyone one way or the other.

This is a cold start, and probably the first time the vehicle had been started in quite some time. I paid for a vehicle inspection thru Copart and interested what more trained ears than my own have to say about what they hear

Please click the links below

Last edited by NJR1986; 05-07-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:43 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

I don't hear/see anything obviously wrong (aside from missing 25% of the car), but it's hard to say much with computer speakers. There is audible ticking, but a ton of that is common in these cars due to the hydraulic lifters; direct injection too, in later cars, but not this one. I'm not a trained ear, but look around on here and you'll see dozens of threads with people worried about ticking/clicking noises in engines that by all accounts are fine.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:56 PM
shus2006croc
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I would say that is beyond what my car sounds like as far as ticking sounds. That is persistent and louder than what I would consider normal.

I have a 987.1 CS
Old 05-07-2019, 06:38 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds like a bad exhaust leak to me. Was the exhaust system damaged in the accident?
Old 05-07-2019, 06:41 PM
NJR1986
Instructor

Originally Posted by Code
Sounds like a bad exhaust leak to me. Was the exhaust system damaged in the accident?

Not sure but thats what I was thinking too... it took a mild hit in the rear, very well could've knocked the exhaust.

I didn't want to say what I thought it was but thats exactly what I was thinking.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:45 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by NJR1986
Let me preface by saying I know this may come to many as not a preferred practice and I understand everyone is entitled to their opinions, however, Im asking for some help. What are your thoughts on this engine start up and run?

I will reserve my initial thoughts to avoid persuading anyone one way or the other.

This is a cold start, and probably the first time the vehicle had been started in quite some time. I paid for a vehicle inspection thru Copart and interested what more trained ears than my own have to say about what they hear

Please click the links below

Cayman S Start
Cayman S Running pt.2
I would want to let that car get up to operating temperature to see what goes away and what doesn't. Then, I would want to shut it down and come back tomorrow and try again so I can see what might be attributable to a long period of not running and what might not.

Also, what is the outside temp at the time of that video? Is that steam/smoke normal exhaust condensation or other?
Old 05-07-2019, 06:54 PM
NJR1986
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
I would want to let that car get up to operating temperature to see what goes away and what doesn't. Then, I would want to shut it down and come back tomorrow and try again so I can see what might be attributable to a long period of not running and what might not.

Also, what is the outside temp at the time of that video? Is that steam/smoke normal exhaust condensation or other?
I wish I had that luxury, otherwise I would, I realize that this is quite possibly a huge risk, in which some people simply arent willing to take. I have accepted that, and this is kind of the game I have chosen to play. I still, however, try to mitigate the risk somewhat by doing some research, purchasing the vehicle condition reports, etc. however they aren't an exact science.

In reference to the temperature, the video was taken this morning sometime with the ambient temperate likely around 50-60 degrees, so seems as tho just condensation.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:25 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I don't think I hear that much-ticking clicking sound from my wife's 2012 Cayman R with fabspeed exhaust, given her car is modded I'd probably have heard more ticks if that was common or natural.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:52 PM
danschy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Definitely more noise than I hear from my 07 Base Cayman, but hard to tell due to microphone/speakers vs listening in person. My car has lifter chatter if I haven't driven it in a while, but that goes away fairly quickly. I'm no expert, but the most significant reliability issue with these engines is bore scoring, and one of the symptoms is increased engine noise. There is a series of videos on bore scoring on the LN Engineering website with symptoms of bore scoring - you may want to check them out. Another symptom of bore scoring is a lot of carbon deposits on the tail pipe. But the noise could also be from something as innocuous as a loose spark plug, or exhaust as others have mentioned.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:48 AM
flat6ftw
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does not sound normal but I'm going to guess the exhaust was damaged in some way. It sounds more like an exhaust leak than a clanky engine. That said my engine ticks like crazy
Old 05-08-2019, 10:12 AM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 333 Likes on 213 Posts

I would have to agree with half of the posters here, that sounds more like an exhaust leak than noisy lifters, scored cylinder or anything else more sinister. Might be worth a mobile inspector to take a look, maybe pull some spark plugs if they would do that or they would allow you to do that.

RGS
- Radiator Grille Store

OEM Look, Economical Protection
www.radiatorgrillestore.com

Old 05-09-2019, 01:56 AM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 195 Posts

Problem solved haha Gdluck my dudeee
Old 05-09-2019, 12:32 PM
NJR1986
Instructor