Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transition from 987.1 to 981

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 05:28 PM
motoken
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Transition from 987.1 to 981

I'm seriously thinking of moving from my loved 987.1 to a 2014 981. While the 987.1 has been a great car, the 981 represents to me an evolution in design and an increase in reliability. Try as I will, I can hardly find any major complaints about the 981s. Only thing that seems to be bothersome to current owners is the dreaded door panel warping, which the car I am looking at seems to be safe from so far. Things like sagging headliners, shift cable failures, bore scoring seemed to be remedied in the 981s.
As I consider transition, I do have a few questions I'd like answered:
1. Is the shift cable failure on manual transmissions a 987 only problem?
2. I have a great extra set of 18" wheels that I use as a summer set on the 987. I just recently replaced TPMS on them. Is it likely they will work with a 2014 Cayman S?
3. I'm using Suncoast supplied spacers on the 987 (7mm/15mm) and they really enhanced the look of the car. I assume these would be transferable to the 981 as well. Are 981 users fond of this spacer set up?
4. Any issues or annoyances with the 981s? Like I said, tough to find much out there in the searches I have done, so I am assuming most folks are real happy with the 981.
The car I am considering is a 2014 six speed with PTV, PSE, PASM, and Sport Chrono. Any other helpful tips appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:34 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 138 Posts

The steering feel on 981s is very different. Drive one and see how you feel about it before committing.

The TPMS is probably not transferable. I know that the 987.1 and .2 are not compatible with each other's sensors even though both are 433hz.

I personally think the shifter cable malfunction stuff is a bit overblown. My 981 certainly shifted more crisply than my 987.1 but I like my earlier car shifter just fine.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:50 PM
motoken
Advanced

Originally Posted by andy7777
The steering feel on 981s is very different. Drive one and see how you feel about it before committing.

The TPMS is probably not transferable. I know that the 987.1 and .2 are not compatible with each other's sensors even though both are 433hz.

I personally think the shifter cable malfunction stuff is a bit overblown. My 981 certainly shifted more crisply than my 987.1 but I like my earlier car shifter just fine.
Thanks for your informative reply. Bummer about the TPMS. I was considering selling them with the 987.1, since there seems to be a big diameter difference between 18 and 19 inch set ups (about 1 inch).

I've read so many stories about shifter cable malfunctions, that it is beginning to sound inevitable. And the idea of where and when one might have to deal with it bothers me. I take the car into some remote parts of the SW, and I'm not sure long term I want to risk it.

Thanks again!
Old 05-06-2019, 11:52 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

There have been a few reports of sagging headliners in 981 Caymans over on Planet-9. It's not as serious a problem as the door panels, though. That can reportedly cost thousands to fix, especially if it happens in a leather-equipped car. You want to inspect this area in any prospective purchase carefully. It's safe to say most 981 owners are very happy with their cars except for the ones this has happened to. Those folks are pissed, and they should be. It's not much of an exaggeration to call those door panels the IMS bearing of the 981/991 generation.

Shifter cable problems are not unheard-of in the 981s. There have also been a few cases of stuck clutch pedals.

Serious engine and transmission problems have been rare on the base cars, but supposedly the GT4s have had a lot of transmission issues. A lot of coil pack failures have happened, especially on cars with aftermarket headers that may lack adequate heat shielding. Something else to ask the seller about that you might not consider at first.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:18 AM
motoken
Advanced

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
There have been a few reports of sagging headliners in 981 Caymans over on Planet-9. It's not as serious a problem as the door panels, though. That can reportedly cost thousands to fix, especially if it happens in a leather-equipped car. You want to inspect this area in any prospective purchase carefully. It's safe to say most 981 owners are very happy with their cars except for the ones this has happened to. Those folks are pissed, and they should be. It's not much of an exaggeration to call those door panels the IMS bearing of the 981/991 generation.

Shifter cable problems are not unheard-of in the 981s. There have also been a few cases of stuck clutch pedals.

Serious engine and transmission problems have been rare on the base cars, but supposedly the GT4s have had a lot of transmission issues. A lot of coil pack failures have happened, especially on cars with aftermarket headers that may lack adequate heat shielding. Something else to ask the seller about that you might not consider at first.
The car I am looking at is an S. The door panel issue is a big concern for me, but this one is a southwest car and the panels are straight as an arrow. Not sure how true it is, but I've heard that door panel issues seem to affect cars in humid climates more so than dry climates.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:23 AM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by andy7777
This.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:27 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by motoken
The car I am looking at is an S. The door panel issue is a big concern for me, but this one is a southwest car and the panels are straight as an arrow. Not sure how true it is, but I've heard that door panel issues seem to affect cars in humid climates more so than dry climates.
Sorry, by 'base' I just meant 'non-GT.' Both the 2.7L and 3.4L engines have been holding up nicely as a general trend, at least so far. And the 3.8L ones in the Spyder and GT4 for that matter. But apparently it's possible to tear 3rd gear right out of a GT4's six-speed.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:48 AM
bvanlieu
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For item 2 no. We went from a '07 to our '15 this fall, and I ordered correct TPMS from TItan to install as I also installed new tires for my cold season wheel set. The 981 has slightly different tire sizes and running the old 18" tires from the 987 would have put the car another .5" lower, which on an already low car, is not a good plan.

- b
Old 05-07-2019, 07:45 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

PASM is fine, but if you can find one with X73 that is the best representation of these cars. You'll also probably be happier with the stance, as the PASM cars exhibit a fair amount of wheel gap compared to the X73.

I think the consensus is that X73 > PTV as far as desired option heirarchy goes.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:18 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

My 987.2 Cayman R is the only car I’ve regretted selling. I actually miss it and think of it often
The GT4 is a great car and superior in almost every way.

The steering feel on the R was far better. And the car was smaller and felt lighter and more nimble.
The shifter FEEL in the GT4 is superb and probably my favorite thing about the car.

The GT4 transmissions have been recalled worldwide for third gear failure. Go to the GT4 subsection and you’ll find the sticky threads.
Mine was replaced last week. The original gearbox had almost 16000 miles and many track days with zero issue. The new box feels identical to the original.

There was a faulty weld in the third gear ring that was breaking.

Otherwise so far the car is problem free and I did the transmission replacement so I wouldn’t have to worry about it.
On the R I had a shifter cable break (happened while hubby was driving it) and the AOS failed and was easily/quickly replaced.
Sold it with 26000 miles after 3 glorious years (was second owner at 6000)

The 981 is a great car but so is the 987. Just depends on what you love. Can’t go wrong either way.

Drive the 981 if possible. As others have said - the steering feels very different.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:26 AM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Captain O says a PPI with DME overrev printout is a must for any manual transmission pcar.

Bought new 987 base and new 987 S before ordering 981 GTS. 987 steering has a more direct feel, 981 more comfortable and faster. Just like comparing 987 to 981 steering, drive a PDK version if possible. If you can get over not rowing your own, PDK is faster, zero overrevs, blah blah blah. Honestly it's superior.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:32 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ferguson
Captain O says a PPI with DME overrev printout is a must for any manual transmission pcar.

Bought new 987 base and new 987 S before ordering 981 GTS. 987 steering has a more direct feel, 981 more comfortable and faster. Just like comparing 987 to 981 steering, drive a PDK version if possible. If you can get over not rowing your own, PDK is faster, zero overrevs, blah blah blah. Honestly it's superior.
My next Porsche will be PDK
+1 for DME (over-rev) report when buying used
Old 05-07-2019, 08:43 PM
motoken
Advanced

Originally Posted by bvanlieu
For item 2 no. We went from a '07 to our '15 this fall, and I ordered correct TPMS from TItan to install as I also installed new tires for my cold season wheel set. The 981 has slightly different tire sizes and running the old 18" tires from the 987 would have put the car another .5" lower, which on an already low car, is not a good plan.

- b
I was really hoping I could keep my 18" setup from the 987 for the 981. They would be a pure track/auto cross set. Other than the lower ride height, which I'm not that worried about, any other concerns? I was thinking speedo will be off a little, but more concerned about issues with the ABS and other computer aided driver nannies.

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:52 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
My 987.2 Cayman R is the only car I’ve regretted selling. I actually miss it and think of it often
The GT4 is a great car and superior in almost every way.

The steering feel on the R was far better. And the car was smaller and felt lighter and more nimble.
The shifter FEEL in the GT4 is superb and probably my favorite thing about the car.

The GT4 transmissions have been recalled worldwide for third gear failure. Go to the GT4 subsection and you’ll find the sticky threads.
Mine was replaced last week. The original gearbox had almost 16000 miles and many track days with zero issue. The new box feels identical to the original.

There was a faulty weld in the third gear ring that was breaking.

Otherwise so far the car is problem free and I did the transmission replacement so I wouldn’t have to worry about it.
On the R I had a shifter cable break (happened while hubby was driving it) and the AOS failed and was easily/quickly replaced.
Sold it with 26000 miles after 3 glorious years (was second owner at 6000)

The 981 is a great car but so is the 987. Just depends on what you love. Can’t go wrong either way.

Drive the 981 if possible. As others have said - the steering feels very different.
I agree with all. Wish I still had my R versus my GT4. Both had PCCB. The R was just so perfectly balanced and made for a much better street car.

The only failure I had with my R after 2 years as a daily driver was a clutch pedal sensor. The sensor ensured the clutch was engaged during ignition. I also just got my GT4 back this week with its new gearbox. Never had any issues with the old one, but now I expect trouble free miles ahead.

Quick Reply: Transition from 987.1 to 981