Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   987 - 981 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-forum-125/)
-   -   Thinking of selling my NSX for 981 ??? (https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-forum/1140983-thinking-of-selling-my-nsx-for-981-a.html)

SoCal-NSX 04-30-2019 09:44 PM

Thinking of selling my NSX for 981 ???

Hello all, my first post here on rennlist.

Love love love my NSX, but I've been drolling over the 981 Cayman lately and depending how much I could get for my 1992 NSX I could probably get into a nice 2014-16 Cayman S with all the bells and whistles of the latest technology and still have that mid engine balance and pure sports car that the original NSX offered.

Just hate the fact that the NSX is appreciating while the Cayman will deprecate

Although it won't drop much as I will be buying used 981 and the initial depreciation has already hit. Some say the 981 will someday become collectible status as it's the last of the NA flat six as Porsche moves towards the smaller 4 banger turbo versions.....haha, I'm trying to talk myself into ithttps://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/im...lies/smile.gif

Obviously I'd love to have a GT4 but it's just not in my budget right now so the Cayman S will have to do....I've also considered the base model as they have rave reviews and you can get newer CPO for same price as older higher mileage S version.

I've also starting looking into the R8's as they have become affordable although they are still about $65K for a 2008-10 v8 as opposed to the $45-50k formthe 2014-16 Cayman 981..

Somebody talk me out of it....although it's probably too late, once I start obsessing over a certain car I end up getting one sooner or laterhttps://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/im...ilies/iono.gif

I test drove this lil beauty last week in Irvine ....2016 base model with 6 speed /sports susp/ Carrera wheels 11k miles CPO

let me just say, wow!!! What an amazing little car....after my salesman told me to drive it like a stole it I started to really like the car an drew was impressed, but then after finding out dude was a former SCCA instructor he asked me if I wanted to see what this car could really do...hell yes !!!
He took me on a down sweeping on ramp to the 5 Frwy at speeds I couldn't believe and the car didn't even flinch...I was laughing while looking for the "oh sh** " handle at the same time :eek:

... I was sold after that!!!

https://images.autotrader.com/hn/c/5...f26a5c9606.jpg
https://images.autotrader.com/hn/c/2...0e207fce35.jpg
https://images.autotrader.com/hn/c/6...50aff4f193.jpg

Most people think I'm nuts to sale the NSX for a Cayman....but I've got the bug.

trying to figure out a way to keep the NSX , but with two other car payments and two teenager$ it will be tough.

here is my 1992 timeless gem

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...671827f2ec.jpg

Https://0449f821-e222-4e73-9571-95bedd68862a/imagejpeg

GT4John 04-30-2019 10:40 PM

Just a humble opinion...but for dear God...do not sell your NSX. I bleed Porsche (specifically Cayman and Boxster) blood so I am biased on the performance and no argument there. But the original NSX's are AMAZING cars. Very sadly, one of my best buddies just destroyed his NSX on-track and it's been a bad year for him. I don't know...I love my GT4...but if I were in your place, I'd stay-put on the NSX. You have a gem.

Schmed 04-30-2019 10:40 PM

As much as I love Caymans and Porsches.... yes.... you are nuts to consider giving up that NSX. Given that it's appreciating, you need to figure out how to keep it.

Slim987 04-30-2019 10:59 PM

I sort of concur with the comments above BUT... We must understand that all of us had the choice of NSX vs Cayman and chose the Cayman or boxster. In other words, most of us could have spent our $45-80k+ on an appreciating car like the NSX or a 993 or (enter an appreciating model here) but we didn't. I went through this debate myself every time I bought another lightly depreciating Porsche. At the end of the day, the NSX is an amazing piece of engineering and will appreciate, but it becomes more of a garage queen in my mind. I hope to have one as a fourth or fifth car one day but not at the expense of giving up the Cayman.
You've enjoyed the NSX already and unless a few $K of appreciation/depreciation difference in the next few years is really important to you, I say try something new. In an ideal world - have both but that doesn't seem like the timing is right for.
Full disclosure. I'm a huge fan of the NSX and do plan to get one some day, but I am also on my third Cayman...

bkrantz 04-30-2019 11:05 PM

Sell at least one of the teenagers?

SoCal-NSX 04-30-2019 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by GT4John (Post 15810068)
Just a humble opinion...but for dear God...do not sell your NSX. I bleed Porsche (specifically Cayman and Boxster) blood so I am biased on the performance and no argument there. But the original NSX's are AMAZING cars. Very sadly, one of my best buddies just destroyed his NSX on-track and it's been a bad year for him. I don't know...I love my GT4...but if I were in your place, I'd stay-put on the NSX. You have a gem.

Originally Posted by Schmed (Post 15810069)
As much as I love Caymans and Porsches.... yes.... you are nuts to consider giving up that NSX. Given that it's appreciating, you need to figure out how to keep it.

haha....yeah I think you guys are right. Funny I was expecting a different response on a Cayman forum;)

I've just been obsessed with the 981 lately..... it's such a great car. It's kinda like what the NSX would have evolved into if it just stayed naturally aspirated. The NSX 2.0 is a great car, it's just on a different level and a whole nuther tax bracket unfortunately

its just that ive had three NSX's since 2003 and I think I'm just getting bored and the 981 is right up my ally....mid engine, NA v6, looks amazing and the unlimited mileage warranty through 2022 is hard to pass up.

And pics like this have me thinking hard about it though
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...bb48541e8b.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ae3d373494.jpg

SoCal-NSX 04-30-2019 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by bkrantz (Post 15810135)
Sell at least one of the teenagers?

haha....that's what someone else said on bimmerpost:roflmao:

dwe8922 04-30-2019 11:10 PM

First gen NSX is a keeper car, and a historical bookmark. I think it's why Porsche and Ferrari make such good cars nowadays. I have a '91 NSX, and there's no way I'd sell it for a cayman s. GT4 maybe. I have a scud and a GT3T, and like them all about the same. Do whatever you can to keep it. I think you'll regret it down the road...

SoCal-NSX 04-30-2019 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Slim987 (Post 15810117)
I sort of concur with the comments above BUT... We must understand that all of us had the choice of NSX vs Cayman and chose the Cayman or boxster. In other words, most of us could have spent our $45-80k+ on an appreciating car like the NSX or a 993 or (enter an appreciating model here) but we didn't. I went through this debate myself every time I bought another lightly depreciating Porsche. At the end of the day, the NSX is an amazing piece of engineering and will appreciate, but it becomes more of a garage queen in my mind. I hope to have one as a fourth or fifth car one day but not at the expense of giving up the Cayman.
You've enjoyed the NSX already and unless a few $K of appreciation/depreciation difference in the next few years is really important to you, I say try something new. In an ideal world - have both but that doesn't seem like the timing is right for.
Full disclosure. I'm a huge fan of the NSX and do plan to get one some day, but I am also on my third Cayman...

Good reply

yeah, that's kinda where my mind is at right now......also on my third NSX:thumbup:

SoCal-NSX 04-30-2019 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by dwe8922 (Post 15810148)
First gen NSX is a keeper car, and a historical bookmark. I think it's why Porsche and Ferrari make such good cars nowadays. I have a '91 NSX, and there's no way I'd sell it for a cayman s. GT4 maybe. I have a scud and a GT3T, and like them all about the same. Do whatever you can to keep it. I think you'll regret it down the road...

wow....you have quite the collection of keepers!!!

I think you're right about the regret and was thinking maybe hold out a few more years for the GT4 to come down a bit while my NSX comes up a bit.

the GT4 is what got me into this delima in the first place

Kuro Neko 04-30-2019 11:44 PM

I used to drive an R8 regularly, and though a glorious machine, they lack the practicality of both the NSX and the Cayman.
Getting to work with your briefcase too hot to touch from the trunk got tiring after a while...

Here's a view on both the NSX and Cayman on Speedhunters.
That's my Cayman, and I spent a bit of time driving the NSX too, and can safely say you're in a very difficult position.

I would do everything possible to keep your NSX, but if you cannot keep it, then the Cayman makes a brilliant up-to-date alternative.
The is S certainly faster, and might even provide more entertainment.
Reliability are possibly about the same.
The Cayman - with two trunks - might be a bit more versatile...

We're are very happy with the Cayman S!

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...39c47d20f5.jpg

Good luck with your decision!

SoCal-NSX 05-01-2019 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Phil McKrevice (Post 15810144)
If you are interested in an older Cayman S, I am considering selling my 2006 with 50k miles on the body and less than 15k on the engine. The 3.4 was removed and it was upgraded to a 3.8. Has around 400hp. Had the IMS done with the LN Engineering retrofit kit. Have all the receipts for the engine work. Total was about 25k. Guards Red, Sport Chrono Package, Tan interior, HID's, Nav, Power Seats with crests embossed on the seats. 2 sets of same factory rims. Just put on Michelin Pilots last year. Fresh oil, air filter and cabin filter. Looking for 30k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBlaIDRRpCg&t=13s

wow...I bet that thing is some serious fun!

thanks for the offer, but I'm in love with the looks of the 981..... preferably white on black like this gem
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...002b05eb08.jpg

MrMoose 05-01-2019 12:22 AM

Man, the 981 is a great car, but you'd be nuts to do this. The NSX is an icon.

If you want a 981 wait five years: you'll have your pick for chump change. I don't even want to think about where NSX prices will be in five years...

Marine Blue 05-01-2019 12:27 AM

I faced a similar dilemma when I owned a cream puff highly optioned 928 GT and saw the 987 Spyder for the first time. One test drive and you can see from my signature how that ended up. No regrets

So what’s the deal on your NSX, mileage, condition etc. :icon107:

Noah Fect 05-01-2019 12:29 AM

If you want a 981 wait five years: you'll have your pick for chump change. I don't even want to think about where NSX prices will be in five years...
Disagree. What market forces are going to lead one of these cars to appreciate further, while the other depreciates to "chump change?"

The reason the NSX is appreciating is that nothing like it will ever be made again. Exactly the same is true of the 981, at least as far as everyday non-GT sports cars are concerned.

SoCal-NSX 05-01-2019 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by MrMoose (Post 15810285)
Man, the 981 is a great car, but you'd be nuts to do this. The NSX is an icon.

So true and this is why I still have it....and will probably be buried in the thing when I die.:p

Maybe it's time to dip into that HELOC :icon107:

maybe i be I can find someone who wants to trade for the month ??? ;)

SoCal-NSX 05-01-2019 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Noah Fect (Post 15810296)
Disagree. What market forces are going to lead one of these cars to appreciate further, while the other depreciates to "chump change?"

The reason the NSX is appreciating is that nothing like it will ever be made again. Exactly the same is true of the 981, at least as far as everyday non-GT sports cars are concerned.

though I agree that the 981 won't depreciate terribly and may some day be sought after in the collector market for low miiage mint examples....what makes the NSX appreciate is the rarity of them(low production numbers) the icon status it has received in the auto world, Aryton Senna name attached to it and the new one that came out at $200k certainly helped its recent jump in value. It was the original super car that you could actually daily drive. There was nothing more reliable than a hand built Honda.... it's the reason Ferrari and Lambo make such more reliable cars these days...it set a new standard.

I still want that 981 though.... it is like a modern day original NSX in many ways

Ale_72 05-01-2019 12:47 AM

If I could have found a NSX-T with manual transmission not tuned or poorly maintained I would have surely bought it, even if this would have meant selling mine 987 spyder. So I am with the ones who say: “do not sell it”.

JAhmed 05-01-2019 12:51 AM

I love my 981, and definitely recommend you buy one...once you figure out how to keep BOTH

MrMoose 05-01-2019 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Noah Fect (Post 15810296)

I mean, they're already doing it. NSX prices are very much on the rise, and 981s are depreciating. Heck, look at how cheaply you can buy a 987 right now: the 981 is next. "Chump change" is relative, but 981s ain't going up in price over the next few years, that's for sure.

Porsche made a ton of 981s and has been continuously making Caymans ever since. Yeah, 4-cylinder vs. 6-cylinder, whatever: most people don't know and don't care, the 718 is faster, and you can buy a brand new one. And let's face it, the Cayman is the entry level Porsche. Meanwhile the original NSX was very limited production and was an iconic halo car. It was Honda proving they could make a supercar with great driving performance and reliability at the same time, and it was so good it scared Ferrari into getting their crap together.

It's comparing bananas and kumquats.

MrMoose 05-01-2019 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by JAhmed (Post 15810340)
I love my 981, and definitely recommend you buy one...once you figure out how to keep BOTH

This guy gets it. Never sell a car!

Stram toni 05-01-2019 02:30 AM

Once you make the switch, you are going to feel real good for a while, a short while. Once the remorse sets in, your guts will hurt. I know, I did it and for an equally good car to the 981. They would have to pry my NA2 out of my cold dead hands.....

bradthe 05-01-2019 02:40 AM

KEEP THE NSX! I HAD ONE AND SOLD IT TO MOVE INTO A 993 BACK IN THE DAY. LOVED THE 993, AND WOULD PROBABLY TAKE IT OVER AN NSX AGAIN. WOULD I TAKE A CAYMAN OVER AN NSX? NO WAY! EX...CLU...SIVITY!!!
WAIT FOR THE CAYMAN TO BOTTOM OUT, WHILE YOURS APPRECIATES AND PAY OFF ONE OF YOUR DAILY CARS! THEN YOU WILL BE FREE TO MOVE ABOUT THE CAYMAN COUNTRY...... YOU WON'T EVER HAVE TO DO WHAT I DO EVERY TIME I SEE A BLACK/BLACK NSX.... THAT FEELING OF REGRET NEVER LEAVES.

SoCal-NSX 05-01-2019 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by JAhmed (Post 15810340)

yeah.....that's the plan

as much as I want one and want it now, I just can't sale the NSX to do it.....but damn it is tempting after driving one

ToasterThief 05-01-2019 06:26 AM

I had a 981 and sold it for a 987 Spyder. Don't sell the NSX. I'm not sure what you mean by "modern technology," but hopefully it's not stuff like infotainment/etc. The 981 was outdated on that front when new: Now it's just hopelessly behind, and it doesn't really matter when driving it. Keep the NSX.

manifold danger 05-01-2019 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by ToasterThief (Post 15810552)
I had a 981 and sold it for a 987 Spyder. Don't sell the NSX. I'm not sure what you mean by "modern technology," but hopefully it's not stuff like infotainment/etc. The 981 was outdated on that front when new: Now it's just hopelessly behind, and it doesn't really matter when driving it. Keep the NSX.

How is the 981 behind? Maybe by today's standards but that's what the 718 is for. I think you're talking about the 987, which has an interior from the late 80s and barely functioning bluetooth. 981 has all the bells and whistles you could ask for except for backup camera, which supposedly was an option but was as rare as a two-headed snake when I was in the market (but comes standard on the 718). Blind spot detectors would have been nice, but that's stretching it. The middle-option Bose stereo is even a notch above decent. I'm definitely not getting the "hopelessly behind", help me out.

Anyway, back to the OP, I think there is some bias here because we're all car guys- the NSX is an icon but I think someone said it best in that it's approaching "garage queen" status where if you want to keep its value up, you won't be driving it. Buying a later model 981 will relieve some of that back-of-mind tension that you're burning through cash every time you turn the ignition on the NSX. The only time I have any reservations at all with driving my car is when I think it's going to rain, and I think that's only because I have a Boxster and prefer driving with the top down (and I have a Macan that is actually really fun to drive). Don't think I'd care about rain if I had a Cayman.

In a perfect world you'll find a way to keep the NSX, because it is an icon and you won't be able to easily replace it down the line. But I totally get the obsession (going through it myself right now, just with a watch I'm trying to convince myself not to buy).

Good luck!

Ale_72 05-01-2019 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by manifold danger (Post 15810628)
981 has all the bells and whistles you could ask for

Even the techie features of the 981 will look like Stone Age in the next 5 years. It happens to all electronic stuff.

Noah Fect 05-01-2019 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ale_72 (Post 15810638)
Even the techie features of the 981 will look like Stone Age in the next 5 years. It happens to all electronic stuff.

Such as?

Worst case, you have to spend a few hundred bucks on an aftermarket CarPlay rig.

Pro tip: nobody buys Porsches because they want to follow the latest miindless trends.

ToasterThief 05-01-2019 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by manifold danger (Post 15810628)
How is the 981 behind? Maybe by today's standards but that's what the 718 is for. I think you're talking about the 987, which has an interior from the late 80s and barely functioning bluetooth. 981 has all the bells and whistles you could ask for except for backup camera, which supposedly was an option but was as rare as a two-headed snake when I was in the market (but comes standard on the 718). Blind spot detectors would have been nice, but that's stretching it. The middle-option Bose stereo is even a notch above decent. I'm definitely not getting the "hopelessly behind", help me out.
Good luck!

The 981 came out back in 2012 with the 2013 Boxster. Bluetooth was great then, but now, in 2019, in order for me to consider a car has a "modern" system, it has to have something like Carplay. The fact that my wife's Macan has it, which we purchased in 2016, and a GT4, which was being delivered in to 2017, couldn't get it, is kind of silly. At the end of the day, when I compare my "new" 987 Spyder to my "old" 981CS, what practical differences in the stereo/electronics are there? At the end of the day, both let me listen to music from my phone. Both have outdated navigation systems that I never use, and both have me using jerry-rigging my phone for directions. I guess the screen on the 981 was nicer, but practically speaking, who cares? What real, practical differences are there?

Stram toni 05-01-2019 10:51 AM

Garage queens? http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...-update/page28

manifold danger 05-01-2019 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by ToasterThief (Post 15810683)
The 981 came out back in 2012 with the 2013 Boxster. Bluetooth was great then, but now, in 2019, in order for me to consider a car has a "modern" system, it has to have something like Carplay. The fact that my wife's Macan has it, which we purchased in 2016, and a GT4, which was being delivered in to 2017, couldn't get it, is kind of silly. At the end of the day, when I compare my "new" 987 Spyder to my "old" 981CS, what practical differences in the stereo/electronics are there? At the end of the day, both let me listen to music from my phone. Both have outdated navigation systems that I never use, and both have me using jerry-rigging my phone for directions. I guess the screen on the 981 was nicer, but practically speaking, who cares? What real, practical differences are there?

The 987 interior just looks old, but that's not the point. You're the one that said the 981 is "hopelessly behind"... and come to find out you mean it's actually just missing carplay. Which wasn't really a thing until 2016 anyway, just before the 718 refresh.

It's literally just carplay. Which is what, pretty much just the ability for your car to read out your texts to you, which Siri can do via bluetooth? Also means nothing unless you have an iphone.

Anyway, does that really classify as "hopelessly behind"?

JAhmed 05-01-2019 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX (Post 15810506)
yeah.....that's the plan

as much as I want one and want it now, I just can't sale the NSX to do it.....but damn it is tempting after driving one

Smart man. The NSX is a damn good car and a classic. Never let it go.

Ale_72 05-01-2019 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Noah Fect (Post 15810661)
Such as?

if I would be able to assess the state of the art technology in car entertainment in 5 years, I'd probably be on a Pagani forum discussing how to spec my 3rd Huayra.
From my experience in the last three decades, after 5/10 years all the electronics in cars was feeling outdated (both froma . design and technology).
But if for somebody the 981 is the state of the art, I will not fight against that.
I think my PCM 3.0 of my 987 is crap (and in fact I use it only via bluetooth from my phone). But I dont give a damn about that since I haven't bought the spyder for that reason
And I think that the Becker Mexico 7948 that I have on my other car is not any better (and it was the hi-end 1DIN navi system in 2006 and now it's like an old grandma FM radio - except the design, still stunning)

SpyderSenseOC 05-01-2019 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by JAhmed (Post 15811221)
Smart man. The NSX is a damn good car and a classic. Never let it go.

Delete

SpyderSenseOC 05-01-2019 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX (Post 15810506)
yeah.....that's the plan

You've obviously grown a little tired of the NSX. Why not let it go and do something new? I mean, it's not the last NSX on the planet and you can always go back someday. Get what you want. You deserve it.

the_rider 05-01-2019 02:38 PM

Disclaimer: I'm a fan of first gen NSX. When I used to work at an Acura dealership, in a previous life, driven a few. Still kicking myself for not picking up the last Targa in Imola Orange sitting on the floor for months because we couldn't sell it! I had a 986 Boxster S at that time. Being a hardcore open top guy, just couldn't do a Targa. But, that Imola Orange......!

Now, here are my personal opinions. I'm pretty sure I would be in the tiny minority. In my view, NSX is hyped up! It IS nice. But, not as good as the hype. In my experience, the S2000 is more visceral and offers better driving feel. The NSX I would care about is the Type R, which we didn't get. As a driver, what matters is how the car makes you feel. Not the iconic status (right or wrong), rarity, exclusivity, etc. SoCal-NSX, you sound excited after driving the 981. You "feel" alive after just one or two spirited drives. Not sure if that car had X73 (Sport Suspension), PTV (Torque Vectoring) and PSE (Sports Exhaust). With those options, the ride really comes alive! I can tell, you really loved the drive. There is your answer. Which car makes you feel alive and excited? Disregard appreciating vs depreciating dilemma. You wanna enjoy the drive today and everyday.

As others have pointed out, ideally, you could have both. Since you can't, my vote goes to selling the NSX and get the 981. Whatever NSX stood for, are just memories. The modern 981 is far superior for a "driver". Deep inside, you know it! There is just no way I would choose to keep the aging NSX over the superior (in terms of driving dynamics) 981, if I can't have both. Even back in the days, the 986 Boxster S offered better driving experience than the brand new NSX. So, the bottom line, in my view: sell the NSX and get the 981. And, enjoy the ride!

kiznarsh 05-01-2019 02:39 PM

Here's my recommendation: every once in a while, rent a 981 from Turo for a weekend just to scratch the itch. Drive it down towards Palomar, Julian, Anza-Borrego where you can enjoy the car in its natural habitat. Then you can return it and go back to enjoying the NSX.

911Königin 05-01-2019 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by kiznarsh (Post 15811445)
Here's my recommendation: every once in a while, rent a 981 from Turo for a weekend just to scratch the itch. Drive it down towards Palomar, Julian, Anza-Borrego where you can enjoy the car in its natural habitat. Then you can return it and go back to enjoying the NSX.

I like this idea! There are fewer and fewer NSX's............

I guess it is a good thing I don't have the money to buy all the cars I like ~ then I would have to buy a farm to hold them all :banghead:

jasonturbo 05-01-2019 03:17 PM

Without question I would replace an NSX w/ a Cayman, I used to have a 1997 NSX and a 981 GT4 at the same time, I completely stopped driving the NSX after taking delivery of the Cayman.

Other than the looks, nostalgia, and "JDM fanboy" appeal the NSX had very little to offer, never mind the cost and availability of replacement parts.

daylorb 05-01-2019 03:22 PM

I'll play the contrarian point of view - if you are into collecting things, then hard to argue - keep the NSX. If you are into using things, and don't get excited about collecting, then get the 981. Performance-wise/drive-wise I don't think the older NSX is a match for the 981.

As much as I think the NSX would be a keeper for someone with 8 garage bays, for someone who just likes to drive it may not be.

SoCal-NSX 05-01-2019 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by the_rider (Post 15811440)
Disclaimer: I'm a fan of first gen NSX. When I used to work at an Acura dealership, in a previous life, driven a few. Still kicking myself for not picking up the last Targa in Imola Orange sitting on the floor for months because we couldn't sell it! I had a 986 Boxster S at that time. Being a hardcore open top guy, just couldn't do a Targa. But, that Imola Orange......!

Now, here are my personal opinions. I'm pretty sure I would be in the tiny minority. In my view, NSX is hyped up! It IS nice. But, not as good as the hype. In my experience, the S2000 is more visceral and offers better driving feel. The NSX I would care about is the Type R, which we didn't get. As a driver, what matters is how the car makes you feel. Not the iconic status (right or wrong), rarity, exclusivity, etc. SoCal-NSX, you sound excited after driving the 981. You "feel" alive after just one or two spirited drives. Not sure if that car had X73 (Sport Suspension), PTV (Torque Vectoring) and PSE (Sports Exhaust). With those options, the ride really comes alive! I can tell, you really loved the drive. There is your answer. Which car makes you feel alive and excited? Disregard appreciating vs depreciating dilemma. You wanna enjoy the drive today and everyday.

As others have pointed out, ideally, you could have both. Since you can't, my vote goes to selling the NSX and get the 981. Whatever NSX stood for, are just memories. The modern 981 is far superior for a "driver". Deep inside, you know it! There is just no way I would choose to keep the aging NSX over the superior (in terms of driving dynamics) 981, if I can't have both. Even back in the days, the 986 Boxster S offered better driving experience than the brand new NSX. So, the bottom line, in my view: sell the NSX and get the 981. And, enjoy the ride!

good stuff and I agree with a lot of that....
have you ever driven the early model NA1 coupe (91-94) ??
Although it has the smaller engine with 20 less HP and only 5 speed manual compared to the NA2 6 speed.... but the early model NSX just has that amazing go kart like feel with the manual steering rack that the NA2 doesn't have, yes it's a pain trying to park, but there's nothing more visceral then driving the twisties with the manual steering. It's why I'm on my third NA1 5 speed coupe. They are a kick to drive, but the CD changer is about the newest technology I have in the cockpit. lol

Like I said earlier , the 981 is kinda like a modern day original NA1 NSX and that's what's so appealing to me about the car.... it's a much better car than my 1992 NSX in every way no doubt, as any sports car 24 years newer should be....

there are are plenty of pros and cons in selling my NSX for say $45k and buying a 2016 CPO 981 for $45K

pros- newness, warranty, amazing performance, great looking, tech, community, etc

cons- depreciation, doesn't have the "wow" factor , people will accuse me of being crazy

In the short term I think I'd be very happy with the new 981, but in the long run.....I'd probably end up losing about $25-30k in equity in 5 years.
( that's assuming the Cayman is worth about $25-30k and the NSX is going for say $50-55K in 5 years)
that's the main reason I've got to just figure out a way to try and keep the NSX, and just set my sights on a cheaper 981 in the next couple of years, my NSX is just too valuable to trade for a depreciating asset.....maybe I will try to hold out for the GTS prices to fall a little bit more.... it's hard to go from having a sports car that makes money every time you sale one to losing thousands when I sale the Cayman down the line.

But you do make some very valid points.

andy7777 05-01-2019 03:34 PM

Find a nice 2012 Cayman R and call it a day. The steering feel alone is worth the trouble to find it over a 981 and its not going to really depreciate on you.

SoCal-NSX 05-01-2019 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by jasonturbo (Post 15811549)
Without question I would replace an NSX w/ a Cayman, I used to have a 1997 NSX and a 981 GT4 at the same time, I completely stopped driving the NSX after taking delivery of the Cayman.

Other than the looks, nostalgia, and "JDM fanboy" appeal the NSX had very little to offer, never mind the cost and availability of replacement parts.

Originally Posted by daylorb (Post 15811565)
I'll play the contrarian point of view - if you are into collecting things, then hard to argue - keep the NSX. If you are into using things, and don't get excited about collecting, then get the 981. Performance-wise/drive-wise I don't think the older NSX is a match for the 981.

As much as I think the NSX would be a keeper for someone with 8 garage bays, for someone who just likes to drive it may not be.

you see...every time I think I'm doing the right thing by keeping the NSX, there is the devil on my shoulder making some sense:jumper:

:confused:

SoCal-NSX 05-01-2019 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by andy7777 (Post 15811603)
Find a nice 2012 Cayman R and call it a day. The steering feel alone is worth the trouble to find it over a 981 and its not going to really depreciate on you.

love the R, but I'm shallow Hal and looks are important to me.... I know looks are subjective but I think the 981 is the best looking Cayman out there right now.... although I think the R is a good investment

think I'd rather get a 981 GTS for the price of what the 987 R's are going for right now.....and if I had the coin the GT4 would be my ultimate keeper Cayman

MidEngineRules 05-01-2019 05:11 PM

^^ Look for a GTS with the GTS interior package and PCCB. I can't stand the 981 with 20" wheels and those tiny steel brake discs, which was just another Porsche attempt to keep it well behind the 991 base.

I have a very well equipped GT4 w/PCCB and LWBs ($117k MSRP) and wish I could turn back time and still have my 6-speed manual Cayman R w/PCCB and LWBs ($90k MSRP). The R was more fun to drive and the throttle response more immediate...just a better balanced package. Most Rs are pretty sparse in options. Mine wasn't. It was loaded. Never once felt old or outdated.

andy7777 05-01-2019 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX (Post 15811642)
love the R, but I'm shallow Hal and looks are important to me.... I know looks are subjective but I think the 981 is the best looking Cayman out there right now.... although I think the R is a good investment

think I'd rather get a 981 GTS for the price of what the 987 R's are going for right now.....and if I had the coin the GT4 would be my ultimate keeper Cayman

I get you, I too loved the 981's looks, got myself a Cayman GTS, it was gorgeous. But after a couple years I grew to really appreciate how the 987 looked too, and I think the 987 Caymans are every bit as good looking.

Oddly, I've never been tempted by the NSX because of its looks. I always thought it was a bit bland. The Ferraris of the day were no doubt more expensive to drive and so on, but a 348, that pushed my buttons.

vbb 05-01-2019 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by daylorb (Post 15811565)

This guy makes a darn good point. I have a list about 10 cars long that I want, mostly for nostalgia's sake. It's a list of cars that I loved...obsessed over, even...at various points in my past. But if I'm being PERFECTLY honest, if I get my hands on one of those cars, I'd probably be less likely to actually drive the thing, and more likely to just look at it in the garage and drive a few miles to the local cars & coffee once a month. I would be collecting the car, not driving it. Is that what I want to do? Is that what you want to do?

The NSX is one of those cars on my list. I want one. I've always wanted one. I couldn't afford one when they were new. Now that I can afford one (a used one), I don't see myself spending $50K on a car that I know I won't really drive. I don't have a warehouse to store my dream cars or an unlimited budget to buy cars and then not drive them, so I have to put my money towards something that I'm going to use. I get the hesitancy to sell a car that is appreciating for one that is depreciating, and honestly, that's a tough call. But if you want a car that you're going to enjoy driving on a regular basis, the guy I quoted is right. The Cayman is the better drivers car. Plus, the 981 has the best body lines of any modern day Porsche, hands down. It's a sexy car.

Jim137a 05-01-2019 09:45 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...8e7780695.jpeg

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-acura-nsx-54/

SoCal-NSX 05-01-2019 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by vbb (Post 15812064)
This guy makes a darn good point. I have a list about 10 cars long that I want, mostly for nostalgia's sake. It's a list of cars that I loved...obsessed over, even...at various points in my past. But if I'm being PERFECTLY honest, if I get my hands on one of those cars, I'd probably be less likely to actually drive the thing, and more likely to just look at it in the garage and drive a few miles to the local cars & coffee once a month. I would be collecting the car, not driving it. Is that what I want to do? Is that what you want to do?

The NSX is one of those cars on my list. I want one. I've always wanted one. I couldn't afford one when they were new. Now that I can afford one (a used one), I don't see myself spending $50K on a car that I know I won't really drive. I don't have a warehouse to store my dream cars or an unlimited budget to buy cars and then not drive them, so I have to put my money towards something that I'm going to use. I get the hesitancy to sell a car that is appreciating for one that is depreciating, and honestly, that's a tough call. But if you want a car that you're going to enjoy driving on a regular basis, the guy I quoted is right. The Cayman is the better drivers car. Plus, the 981 has the best body lines of any modern day Porsche, hands down. It's a sexy car.

thats one thing you won’t have to worry about with the NSX, they’re damn near bulletproof as long as you keep up on the maintenance... there are quite a few out there with over 300,000 miles on them and still going strong. I wouldn’t daily drive it, but once or twice a week to work and some track days no problem
i put about 5-6k miles a year on mine.

and yes I agree the 981 is a damn sexy car!!!

vbb 05-02-2019 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX (Post 15812450)
thats one thing you won’t have to worry about with the NSX, they’re damn near bulletproof as long as you keep up on the maintenance... there are quite a few out there with over 300,000 miles on them and still going strong. I wouldn’t daily drive it, but once or twice a week to work and some track days no problem
i put about 5-6k miles a year on mine.

and yes I agree the 981 is a damn sexy car!!!

If you drive your NSX 5-6k miles per year as it is, I say keep it. As long as it hasn't been reduced to garage queen status, I think it is the better long term keeper car, if for no other reason than it is an appreciating classic.

ekam 05-02-2019 09:58 AM

Driving position is totally different from cars of the 90s to modern cars. You sit more upright and you can actually see the front hood/fenders from the driver's seat. You can also drive with your arm hanging out the door. Notice the proportion of height of the side window to the height of the door.

The engineers of the NSX took inspiration of the high outward visibility of a F-16 Falcon with its bubble canopy.

NSX prices will keep going up and up and up...

Warehouse33.net 05-02-2019 02:15 PM

What are you going to ask for your NSX?

-Jason

KrisA 05-02-2019 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by ekam (Post 15813195)
Driving position is totally different from cars of the 90s to modern cars. You sit more upright and you can actually see the front hood/fenders from the driver's seat. You can also drive with your arm hanging out the door. Notice the proportion of height of the side window to the height of the door.

That quote sums up perfectly why I love my 2012 Cayman! While it may a fairly recent build the proportions and driving position date back to the 90's 986.

I used to have a 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo way back in the day, that car had an even lower hood line and belt line. You could see the road coming up under the front of the car mere feet in front of your hands, it was neat.

981's have a bit of what I call the "bath tub effect". I feel like I'm too deep into the car, visibility is OK, but not great and it dulls the sense of speed.

SoCal-NSX 05-02-2019 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Warehouse33.net (Post 15813844)
What are you going to ask for your NSX?

-Jason

depends on how fast I need to sale it I guess..... prices right now seemed to be all over the place from about $42K on up to crazy money

Being a two owner California car with a few tasteful mods with new clutch, belts and hoses .....clean title and very high autocheck score with all records with no stories, I should be in pretty good shape.

it even still has the original car phone in it, which is extremely hard to find these days I guess.:cheers:

like I said, I'll probably be buried in the thing someday, but.......if the right offer comes around you never know ???

Warehouse33.net 05-02-2019 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX (Post 15813895)
depends on how fast I need to sale it I guess..... prices right now seemed to be all over the place from about $42K on up to crazy money

Being a two owner California car with a few tasteful mods with new clutch, belts and hoses .....clean title and very high autocheck score with all records with no stories, I should be in pretty good shape.

it even still has the original car phone in it, which is extremely hard to find these days I guess.:cheers:

like I said, I'll probably be buried in the thing someday, but.......if the right offer comes around you never know ???

Yeah I'm still kicking myself for not buying one a few years back.

-Jason

SpyderSenseOC 05-02-2019 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by vbb (Post 15812064)
I get the hesitancy to sell a car that is appreciating for one that is depreciating, and honestly, that's a tough call.

If you currently project to hit the grave with a substantial sum of CASH in the bank, what difference does it make? Buy what you want, enjoy it how you want, sell it, and enjoy another one. Hell, buy the same damn car again down the road if you want. They're not women. They're cars. So what if down the road he regrets selling the NSX. He'll get over it!

fast1 05-02-2019 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by the_rider (Post 15811440)

I agree with your perspective. The NSX was a phenomenal car 25 years ago, but today it's little more than a collector's piece. Nice design and a great performer in the early 1990s, but not so today. Today it would be challenged by a 2019 6 cyl Toyota Camry. Lots of nostalgia for the NSX, just like for the 993, but a pain in the butt to maintain if driven on a regular basis. A great car to get out on those nice Spring days, but not certainly a car that I'd want as a DD. If the OP can afford an NSX and 981, then that would be an ideal choice. If fiances are a consideration, then sell the NSX and be thankful that it will bring in a great price. I was certainly happy with the price that I got for my ten year old 993.

Noah Fect 05-02-2019 06:57 PM

Another point I'd raise is that the only way the NSX is going to keep appreciating is if you don't drive it much. Driving an investment-grade car on public roads is a poor investment decision IMO, regardless of the merits of the car itself. We used to see older 911s on the road all the time until they started getting stupidly valuable, now they're just moldering away in the proverbial barns.

If you switch to the Cayman you can (and likely will) drive it everywhere, all the time, without worry.

850tgul 05-02-2019 08:01 PM

Keep the NSX and, if you love the way the 981 drives, get a base 987.2. Have had both and the 987.2 base is about 95% the car the 981 base is at about 50% the price. They can be bad for $25k. Add a $600 head unit and get your apple CarPlay

daylorb 05-02-2019 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC (Post 15814390)
If you currently project to hit the grave with a substantial sum of CASH in the bank, what difference does it make? Buy what you want, enjoy it how you want, sell it, and enjoy another one. Hell, buy the same damn car again down the road if you want. They're not women. They're cars. So what if down the road he regrets selling the NSX. He'll get over it!

I agree. They are machines in the end. Some like to look at machines, I like to see them operate.

the_rider 05-02-2019 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX (Post 15811570)
have you ever driven the early model NA1 coupe (91-94) ??
............ but the early model NSX just has that amazing go kart like feel with the manual steering rack that the NA2 doesn't have, yes it's a pain trying to park, but there's nothing more visceral then driving the twisties with the manual steering. .............................

Like I said earlier , the 981 is kinda like a modern day original NA1 NSX and that's what's so appealing to me about the car.... ...

............ I've got to just figure out a way to try and keep the NSX, and just set my sights on a cheaper 981 in the next couple of years, my NSX is just too valuable to trade for a depreciating asset..................

Sadly, I've only driven NA2s. But, totally understand and appreciate the visceral feel of NA1 which earned it's legendary status (besides from other traits). In my view, 981 would go down as the best iteration of the platform. It would have been the best modern, open-top Porsche sports car if not for the lack of hydraulic steering and taller gearing. Still, not as old school as the NSX (or, S2000 or 987).

Your decision to hold on to it for a few more years makes sense. However, I do feel that you're now trapped into merely watching the value go up as opposed to enjoying a superior driving experience today! :icon107: You already determined that the fun factor is much higher in 981! But, the upshot could be, if you stretch a bit and do some financial engineering, you could swing for a 981 GT4! But then, with the platform moving to hybrid and electric, for next gen, all NA models, especially GT4/Spyder, will continue to hold value and gradually start to rise.

Originally Posted by Noah Fect (Post 15814496)
Another point I'd raise is that the only way the NSX is going to keep appreciating is if you don't drive it much. ..........

Exactly right. This reiterates my point above that he is now a captive of the appreciating curve (plausibly an uncertain curve) as opposed to truly enjoying superior dynamics today and everyday!

SoCal-NSX 05-03-2019 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by the_rider (Post 15814865)
Sadly, I've only driven NA2s. But, totally understand and appreciate the visceral feel of NA1 which earned it's legendary status (besides from other traits). In my view, 981 would go down as the best iteration of the platform. It would have been the best modern, open-top Porsche sports car if not for the lack of hydraulic steering and taller gearing. Still, not as old school as the NSX (or, S2000 or 987).

Your decision to hold on to it for a few more years makes sense. However, I do feel that you're now trapped into merely watching the value go up as opposed to enjoying a superior driving experience today! :icon107: You already determined that the fun factor is much higher in 981! But, the upshot could be, if you stretch a bit and do some financial engineering, you could swing for a 981 GT4! But then, with the platform moving to hybrid and electric, for next gen, all NA models, especially GT4/Spyder, will continue to hold value and gradually start to rise.

Exactly right. This reiterates my point above that he is now a captive of the appreciating curve (plausibly an uncertain curve) as opposed to truly enjoying superior dynamics today and everyday!

any car will depreciate the more miles you put on them but the NSX is a little bit different then the Ferrari type cars ..high miles don’t scare too many people away from a very well taken car of NSX. mine is no garage queen and never will be, it’s a third car that I drive once or twice a week to work and take and on canyon runs, cars and coffee etc..lucky for me I get to take a canyon to work and back. I put about 5k a year on it...but I’m seem to keep leaning towards the Cayman and cashing out the NSX

i think I’m just infatuated by the 981 right now.

SoCal-NSX 05-03-2019 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by 850tgul (Post 15814633)
Keep the NSX and, if you love the way the 981 drives, get a base 987.2. Have had both and the 987.2 base is about 95% the car the 981 base is at about 50% the price. They can be bad for $25k. Add a $600 head unit and get your apple CarPlay

thats certainly not a bad idea, but I’m just hooked on the looks of the 981 and getting a 2016 CPO with a warranty that’s good through 2022 is kinda the icing on the cake to me right now .... would love to find a low miles white one with the same options as the one I test drove. 6 speed with x73 suspension and 20” Carrera S wheels.

something like this
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...de55376fb.jpeg

850tgul 05-03-2019 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX (Post 15815254)
thats certainly not a bad idea, but I’m just hooked on the looks of the 981 and getting a 2016 CPO with a warranty that’s good through 2022 is kinda the icing on the cake to me right now .... would love to find a low miles white one with the same options as the one I test drove. 6 speed with x73 suspension and 20” Carrera S wheels.

something like this
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...de55376fb.jpeg

I wouldn’t be as concerned about a warranty on either a 987.2 or 981, both are very reliable cars. I can’t argue with you on the looks though. As much as I love my 987.2, my 981 with the 20” Carrera S wheels was much better looking imo.

the_rider 05-03-2019 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX (Post 15815141)
.............but I’m seem to keep leaning towards the Cayman and cashing out the NSX

i think I’m just infatuated by the 981 right now.

You're on the right track! Just do it! And, don't look back! As a driver, you'll be rewarded with rich dynamic experience from every single drive!

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX (Post 15815254)
.............. 6 speed with x73 suspension and 20” Carrera S wheels.

Yes, X73 is mandatory; don't compromise. And, don't forget PSE unless you're planning on an after-market option. But, drone-free and CARB-compliant options are very limited. Yet, you can't drive a 981 without PSE (or, something comparable). You really need to hear it sing, at or near the redline!

MidEngineRules 05-03-2019 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by the_rider (Post 15815670)
You're on the right track! Just do it! And, don't look back! As a driver, you'll be rewarded with rich dynamic experience from every single drive!

Yes, X73 is mandatory; don't compromise. And, don't forget PSE unless you're planning on an after-market option. But, drone-free and CARB-compliant options are very limited. Yet, you can't drive a 981 without PSE (or, something comparable). You really need to hear it sing, at or near the redline!

Wholehearted concur. I always search first for cars with PCCB as they usually have everything else I want. PCCB is so underrated. Not only is braking power significantly improved (and steering), but not having brake dust is wonderful for those who like to really keep their cars clean and nice, and the aesthetic is much improved. I also love X73 but if it were between PASM/PCCB and X73/steel brakes I'd probably go with PASM/PCCB. To me PASM is completely overrated, but buying used makes PCCB very affordable and it's well worth the premium.

SoCal-NSX 05-06-2019 02:15 AM

Took this minty white one for a spin today in Carlsbad to see what the PDK version was like....

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e54afba165.jpg

Was not not as good as the Irvine area for a test drive, but it was enough to realize I would be happy either way, although I still lean towards the manual, I could get used to the PDK.

think I'm gonna put the NSX up for sale then search for a good deal on a 15-16 white CPO with the 20" Carrera S wheel with black interior preferably with X73...for some reason that's pretty hard to find these days.

also starting to see slightly used 718's for close to the same prices as the low mileage 981's, I might have to take a test drive in one of those .....although I'm pretty sure I want the 981.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...fbcb74850d.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...d744c0d19c.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...40962e8305.jpg

hf1 05-06-2019 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by 850tgul (Post 15815442)
I wouldn’t be as concerned about a warranty on either a 987.2 or 981, both are very reliable cars. I can’t argue with you on the looks though. As much as I love my 987.2, my 981 with the 20” Carrera S wheels was much better looking imo.

Stick a fork in you -- you're done. :)

If you had $45k and were deciding between buying the NSX and the 981 now, which one would you buy and why? Though depreciation/value may matter, cars are not investments. Much better places to invest your money. What's the point in parking the $ in a car that's a better "investment" when you know there is another that's a worse investment but you would enjoy more? What's the main purpose for the purchase, fun or investment? Stick with the primary intended purpose. Life's short.

ajw45 05-06-2019 06:37 PM

Late to the thread but drove my buddies NA1 NSX recently and it was pretty epic. What a great ride, was super fun to drive, great steering feel, awesome pedal placement for heel toe, and felt fast even at 30mph. After the super low NSX, the 981 feels huge, like driving an SUV. There's nothing like it on sale today and with ever tightening modern safety regulations, never will be again. BUT, I wouldn't sell my GT4 for one. They are both NA, mid-engine, 2 seat, 6 cylinder cars but not really substitutes. The NSX seems like a great 3rd or 4th car/toy you keep just for the driving experience whereas the 981 can do everything and do it better/faster.

In particular, I was surprised at how much better the 981 stops and goes despite being the bigger heavier car. The flat six feels way more responsive, sounds better IMO, and is a way more exciting engine to drive while the Porsche brakes make the NSX really feel it's age. Also, I had no idea there is just a hole in the NSX where the 981's frunk is! Aside from just feeling a little cheap that they didn't even bother to put an aero panel there, the lack of usable storage means no room for a track box, road trip luggage, not even a couple bags of groceries which really limits how many different ways you can enjoy the NSX.

Get the 981. As great and unique as the NSX driving experience is, I think most people would get way more fun and enjoyment over time out of a 981.

SoCal-NSX 05-06-2019 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by ajw45 (Post 15822582)
Late to the thread but drove my buddies NA1 NSX recently and it was pretty epic. What a great ride, was super fun to drive, great steering feel, awesome pedal placement for heel toe, and felt fast even at 30mph. After the super low NSX, the 981 feels huge, like driving an SUV. There's nothing like it on sale today and with ever tightening modern safety regulations, never will be again. BUT, I wouldn't sell my GT4 for one. They are both NA, mid-engine, 2 seat, 6 cylinder cars but not really substitutes. The NSX seems like a great 3rd or 4th car/toy you keep just for the driving experience whereas the 981 can do everything and do it better/faster.

In particular, I was surprised at how much better the 981 stops and goes despite being the bigger heavier car. The flat six feels way more responsive, sounds better IMO, and is a way more exciting engine to drive while the Porsche brakes make the NSX really feel it's age. Also, I had no idea there is just a hole in the NSX where the 981's frunk is! Aside from just feeling a little cheap that they didn't even bother to put an aero panel there, the lack of usable storage means no room for a track box, road trip luggage, not even a couple bags of groceries which really limits how many different ways you can enjoy the NSX.

Get the 981. As great and unique as the NSX driving experience is, I think most people would get way more fun and enjoyment over time out of a 981.

good stuff.... man I wish I was swapping for a GT4, but I still think the base 981 would be a lot of fun and with room for some fun mods....gonna shoot for an S though

the NSX actually has a spacious rear trunk....I can fit golf clubs in there with no problems

the frunk is where they stash the emergency spare tire.....which most people just remove for weight saving.

and yes my lowered NSX roofline is about a foot shorter then the Cayman 981..... most cars look like SUV's parked next to it.

i realize most people think I'm crazy to sale the NSX for a Cayman(including my wife) and it's not the best financial decision, but there is something about the 981 that has me transfixed..... took my 17 year old son with me to check out the car yesterday and he was on the sale the NSX team after seeing it.

I figure if I get a low mileage 2016 CPO I could probably sell it before the warranty runs out in 2022 and not lose a ton of money if I decide to move on to something else....think I'm gonna put some money into the NSX and get the timing belt and water pump done( its about due) and put her up for sale.
if I can't get the money I want for it, I won't be heart broken keeping it. I still enjoy the hell out of my NSX I think I just want something new.

I blame my 2015 f32 that I picked up last year for my new found love of German luxury and performance :surr:

here's my favorite daily beater
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...7551cd4db5.jpg

ajw45 05-06-2019 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX (Post 15822695)
good stuff.... man I wish I was swapping for a GT4, but I still think the base 981 would be a lot of fun and with room for some fun mods....gonna shoot for an S though

Yeah, S, GTS, Spyder, GT4, driven them all and they are all great (haven't tried the base) and it is just a great platform. If it were me, I would make sure to get PTV for the lsd which is $$$ to add aftermarket....

SoCal-NSX 05-06-2019 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by ajw45 (Post 15823233)
Yeah, S, GTS, Spyder, GT4, driven them all and they are all great (haven't tried the base) and it is just a great platform. If it were me, I would make sure to get PTV for the lsd which is $$$ to add aftermarket....

I have stumbled upon a couple with the Sports Design Package that really look great with the GTS body.

I wish I had the go ahead from my boss to just buy one right now and then sale the NSX if I had to.

starting to sniff around the 718 right now too since there are some barley used examples for a few bucks more than the 981's .... I just wish they had the NA V6 still

Whats the the best stage 1 out there right now on these cars and what HP gains can you expect from them?

thanks!

SoCal-NSX 05-07-2019 10:43 PM

If I had the dough in hand I'd be tempted by this one....for sale here in So Cal nicely equipped 2016 base with the SportDesign Pkg with the alcantera sports steering wheel.

only thing I don't like is the side lettering .... I'm hoping those peel right off ???

that GTS front end is fire:rockon:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a121a75111.jpg

Ale_72 05-08-2019 12:43 AM

In US in which price range could you sell the NSX?
And how much would it be a 981 base?

various cheeses 05-08-2019 12:51 AM

How are the operating costs on a 90s NSX compared to a 981 base? The performance stats are similar on paper, at least for the basic stuff.

SoCal-NSX 05-08-2019 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Ale_72 (Post 15825787)
In US in which price range could you sell the NSX?
And how much would it be a 981 base?

right now the NA1 NSX market is about $40k- 100k depending on mileage, transmission and condition .... I would probably ask @$45-47k for my 1992 NSX

981 base go from around $30-55k right now depending on mileage , spec , CPO , non CPO , etc....

I would try to look for a low low mileage 2016 CPO , but if the right one came up at the right price I would have no problems buying from private party like the silver one I just posted

Originally Posted by various cheeses (Post 15825799)
How are the operating costs on a 90s NSX compared to a 981 base? The performance stats are similar on paper, at least for the basic stuff.

the NSX was a hand built Honda so you can imagine how reliable they are..... every seven years it's recommended to do the timing belt and water pump which is about $1600..... other than that, the yearly cost is mostly insurance and oil change for about $100 every 4000 miles.

The clutch is about the only other major thing you have to worry about and they last at least 60k miles

if you're not daily driving the car, a well sorted out NSX with all of its maintenance up to date will cost you nothing more then gas, oil and insurance....

Ale_72 05-08-2019 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX (Post 15825901)
right now the NA1 NSX market is about $40k- 100k depending on mileage, transmission and condition .... I would probably ask @$45-47k for my 1992 NSX

981 base go from around $30-55k right now depending on mileage , spec , CPO , non CPO , etc....

I would try to look for a low low mileage 2016 CPO , but if the right one came up at the right price I would have no problems buying from private party like the silver one I just posted

So NSX prices are 20/30% lower than here in EU.
I do not know how it is in US but here in EU is much more difficult to sell a base Boxster/cayman and very very difficult without CPO. Personally I’d be happy to find an S with some thousand more miles than a low mileage base one, but this is definitely a subjective thing.

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX (Post 15825901)
the NSX was a hand built Honda so you can imagine how reliable they are.....

The key word is Honda more than hand built :rolleyes:

SoCal-NSX 05-08-2019 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Ale_72 (Post 15825917)
So NSX prices are 20/30% lower than here in EU.
I do not know how it is in US but here in EU is much more difficult to sell a base Boxster/cayman and very very difficult without CPO. Personally I’d be happy to find an S with some thousand more miles than a low mileage base one, but this is definitely a subjective thing.

[color=#333333]
The key word is Honda more than hand built :rolleyes:

i think about 75% of the already small number of NSX's were sold in North America so I can imagine how rare they must be in Europe .....

various cheeses 05-08-2019 04:15 AM

I actually have a 2016 base 981 in white. 24k miles though, since I've taken a few road trips and pseudo-daily-drive it. It was the last available build slot at the dealer, and I think one of the last 6cyl shipments on the east coast before the 718s came out.

https://i.imgur.com/7qttfnm.gif

garfunkle 05-08-2019 01:10 PM

I had a 92 NSX. Bought it for 18K and sold it for 24K like 15 years ago. It wasn't a great example but I got it met mechanically sorted and a lot prettier than when I got it. If I still had it, It would have a wide body, BBK and supercharger... I can't leave well enough alone but do miss that car. My Boxster (987.2) is actually more raw than my NSX was but I've also got a lot of things done like bushings, poly mounts and 400/460 springs on the Ohlins sooooo.

Think about what your intent is? The NSX can actually take the miles. Mine was 160K when I sold it. It's one of those cars now though that maybe shouldn't be modded - I still would:) My 991 already has all the things so I needed another car to tinker with. I love the Boxster for this reason. Also - I don't know how tall you are but I'm 6'3" so the NSX didn't fit great.

At the end of the day these are just material things and not what matters in life. Do some soul searching and try to quantify the emotion and make your decision off that. To hell with appreciation.

SoCal-NSX 05-13-2019 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by garfunkle (Post 15826742)
I had a 92 NSX. Bought it for 18K and sold it for 24K like 15 years ago. It wasn't a great example but I got it met mechanically sorted and a lot prettier than when I got it. If I still had it, It would have a wide body, BBK and supercharger... I can't leave well enough alone but do miss that car. My Boxster (987.2) is actually more raw than my NSX was but I've also got a lot of things done like bushings, poly mounts and 400/460 springs on the Ohlins sooooo.

Think about what your intent is? The NSX can actually take the miles. Mine was 160K when I sold it. It's one of those cars now though that maybe shouldn't be modded - I still would:) My 991 already has all the things so I needed another car to tinker with. I love the Boxster for this reason. Also - I don't know how tall you are but I'm 6'3" so the NSX didn't fit great.

At the end of the day these are just material things and not what matters in life. Do some soul searching and try to quantify the emotion and make your decision off that. To hell with appreciation.

yeah, the NSX was always my dream car for me as a big Honda fan as a kid back in the late 80's , so as soon as I could afford one I flew on a one way ticket to Portland and drove it almost exactly 1000 miles back home to So Cal back in 2003..... since then I've had two other ones through out the years and still just love seeing it when I walk out to the garage, but I think I'm just ready to move on to something new and fresh, yet still stay in a light naturally aspirated mid engine coupe that I can enjoy driving....I'm not really into straight line speed, I like curves. The Cayman is the perfect fit for what I'm looking for and I'm 90% sure I'm going to end up selling the NSX soon and shopping for a white or silver low mileage CPO. My must haves so far are the sport steering wheel, x73 and highly prefer the 6 speed, but not opposed to the PDK

I will alway love the original NSX and will hope to someday get another one, but I think it's time for something new.

Here is a cool drone video I made featuring my current NSX when I got my Phantom a couple years ago.....I need to get back into flying, I kinda just stopped playing with it the last year or so.... I'm sure if I get a 981 soon ill be making one with it.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...43a4992342.jpg

Hoodoo 05-13-2019 05:22 PM

As a former NSX (95T) owner, I say go for it. Shortly after selling my NSX, I drove a Speed Yellow 981 Cayman S with the X73 suspension. I loved it, but didn't jump on it because it was the first car I drove after selling the NSX and I didn't want to make a compulsive purchase. Unfortunately, I didn't realize how rare that combination was and someone else jumped on it. If you find a 981 that checks all right boxes, buy it.

DaveGee 05-13-2019 05:59 PM

I was in the exact same boat as you. After owning 3 NSX's (one of them twice) it was simply time for something new. My first Porsche was a 987 Boxster and I too felt that it was what the NSX would have become had it kept evolving. I'm now on my 4th Porsche. 25 years is a long time in the auto industry - treat yourself. You've had a good run with the NSX and can likely get your investment back plus some if you sell now.

Cars are like girlfriends - you can't keep them all (not that I haven't tried).

Good luck.

DaveGee

algiorda 05-14-2019 08:33 AM

The problem with owning a car like the NSX that is appreciating in value is; You can't drive it! It becomes a garage queen because you don't want to put the mileage on it, don't want to chip the paint, and you really only enjoy looking at it and not driving it so as to not affect the resale value. I think it's simple; If you are a collector, then keep it. If you want something to drive everyday and drive it with spirit, then get the Cayman.

SoCal-NSX 05-14-2019 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by algiorda (Post 15839331)
The problem with owning a car like the NSX that is appreciating in value is; You can't drive it! It becomes a garage queen because you don't want to put the mileage on it, don't want to chip the paint, and you really only enjoy looking at it and not driving it so as to not affect the resale value. I think it's simple; If you are a collector, then keep it. If you want something to drive everyday and drive it with spirit, then get the Cayman.

It's a third car that I put about 5K a year on, as will be what ever I replace it with.... the NSX won't tank like other exotic type cars with a little extra mileage although the lower the better , but that goes without saying with any car. To me it's just about getting something new.... if and when I sale the NSX the Cayman 981 will be top of the list.