Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of selling my NSX for 981 ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 02:16 AM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 879 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Ale_72
In US in which price range could you sell the NSX?
And how much would it be a 981 base?
right now the NA1 NSX market is about $40k- 100k depending on mileage, transmission and condition .... I would probably ask @$45-47k for my 1992 NSX

981 base go from around $30-55k right now depending on mileage , spec , CPO , non CPO , etc....

I would try to look for a low low mileage 2016 CPO , but if the right one came up at the right price I would have no problems buying from private party like the silver one I just posted

Originally Posted by various cheeses
How are the operating costs on a 90s NSX compared to a 981 base? The performance stats are similar on paper, at least for the basic stuff.
the NSX was a hand built Honda so you can imagine how reliable they are..... every seven years it's recommended to do the timing belt and water pump which is about $1600..... other than that, the yearly cost is mostly insurance and oil change for about $100 every 4000 miles.

The clutch is about the only other major thing you have to worry about and they last at least 60k miles

if you're not daily driving the car, a well sorted out NSX with all of its maintenance up to date will cost you nothing more then gas, oil and insurance....
Old 05-08-2019, 02:35 AM
Ale_72
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
right now the NA1 NSX market is about $40k- 100k depending on mileage, transmission and condition .... I would probably ask @$45-47k for my 1992 NSX

981 base go from around $30-55k right now depending on mileage , spec , CPO , non CPO , etc....

I would try to look for a low low mileage 2016 CPO , but if the right one came up at the right price I would have no problems buying from private party like the silver one I just posted

So NSX prices are 20/30% lower than here in EU.
I do not know how it is in US but here in EU is much more difficult to sell a base Boxster/cayman and very very difficult without CPO. Personally I’d be happy to find an S with some thousand more miles than a low mileage base one, but this is definitely a subjective thing.

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
the NSX was a hand built Honda so you can imagine how reliable they are.....
The key word is Honda more than hand built
Old 05-08-2019, 03:07 AM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ale_72
So NSX prices are 20/30% lower than here in EU.
I do not know how it is in US but here in EU is much more difficult to sell a base Boxster/cayman and very very difficult without CPO. Personally I’d be happy to find an S with some thousand more miles than a low mileage base one, but this is definitely a subjective thing.

[color=#333333]
The key word is Honda more than hand built
i think about 75% of the already small number of NSX's were sold in North America so I can imagine how rare they must be in Europe .....
Old 05-08-2019, 04:15 AM
various cheeses
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

I actually have a 2016 base 981 in white. 24k miles though, since I've taken a few road trips and pseudo-daily-drive it. It was the last available build slot at the dealer, and I think one of the last 6cyl shipments on the east coast before the 718s came out.

Name:  7qttfnm.gif
Views: 63
Size:  359.2 KB
Old 05-08-2019, 01:10 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

I had a 92 NSX. Bought it for 18K and sold it for 24K like 15 years ago. It wasn't a great example but I got it met mechanically sorted and a lot prettier than when I got it. If I still had it, It would have a wide body, BBK and supercharger... I can't leave well enough alone but do miss that car. My Boxster (987.2) is actually more raw than my NSX was but I've also got a lot of things done like bushings, poly mounts and 400/460 springs on the Ohlins sooooo.

Think about what your intent is? The NSX can actually take the miles. Mine was 160K when I sold it. It's one of those cars now though that maybe shouldn't be modded - I still would My 991 already has all the things so I needed another car to tinker with. I love the Boxster for this reason. Also - I don't know how tall you are but I'm 6'3" so the NSX didn't fit great.

At the end of the day these are just material things and not what matters in life. Do some soul searching and try to quantify the emotion and make your decision off that. To hell with appreciation.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:13 AM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by garfunkle
I had a 92 NSX. Bought it for 18K and sold it for 24K like 15 years ago. It wasn't a great example but I got it met mechanically sorted and a lot prettier than when I got it. If I still had it, It would have a wide body, BBK and supercharger... I can't leave well enough alone but do miss that car. My Boxster (987.2) is actually more raw than my NSX was but I've also got a lot of things done like bushings, poly mounts and 400/460 springs on the Ohlins sooooo.

Think about what your intent is? The NSX can actually take the miles. Mine was 160K when I sold it. It's one of those cars now though that maybe shouldn't be modded - I still would My 991 already has all the things so I needed another car to tinker with. I love the Boxster for this reason. Also - I don't know how tall you are but I'm 6'3" so the NSX didn't fit great.

At the end of the day these are just material things and not what matters in life. Do some soul searching and try to quantify the emotion and make your decision off that. To hell with appreciation.
yeah, the NSX was always my dream car for me as a big Honda fan as a kid back in the late 80's , so as soon as I could afford one I flew on a one way ticket to Portland and drove it almost exactly 1000 miles back home to So Cal back in 2003..... since then I've had two other ones through out the years and still just love seeing it when I walk out to the garage, but I think I'm just ready to move on to something new and fresh, yet still stay in a light naturally aspirated mid engine coupe that I can enjoy driving....I'm not really into straight line speed, I like curves. The Cayman is the perfect fit for what I'm looking for and I'm 90% sure I'm going to end up selling the NSX soon and shopping for a white or silver low mileage CPO. My must haves so far are the sport steering wheel, x73 and highly prefer the 6 speed, but not opposed to the PDK

I will alway love the original NSX and will hope to someday get another one, but I think it's time for something new.

Here is a cool drone video I made featuring my current NSX when I got my Phantom a couple years ago.....I need to get back into flying, I kinda just stopped playing with it the last year or so.... I'm sure if I get a 981 soon ill be making one with it.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:22 PM
Hoodoo
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

As a former NSX (95T) owner, I say go for it. Shortly after selling my NSX, I drove a Speed Yellow 981 Cayman S with the X73 suspension. I loved it, but didn't jump on it because it was the first car I drove after selling the NSX and I didn't want to make a compulsive purchase. Unfortunately, I didn't realize how rare that combination was and someone else jumped on it. If you find a 981 that checks all right boxes, buy it.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:59 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 256 Posts

I was in the exact same boat as you. After owning 3 NSX's (one of them twice) it was simply time for something new. My first Porsche was a 987 Boxster and I too felt that it was what the NSX would have become had it kept evolving. I'm now on my 4th Porsche. 25 years is a long time in the auto industry - treat yourself. You've had a good run with the NSX and can likely get your investment back plus some if you sell now.

Cars are like girlfriends - you can't keep them all (not that I haven't tried).

Good luck.

DaveGee
Old 05-14-2019, 08:33 AM
algiorda
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

The problem with owning a car like the NSX that is appreciating in value is; You can't drive it! It becomes a garage queen because you don't want to put the mileage on it, don't want to chip the paint, and you really only enjoy looking at it and not driving it so as to not affect the resale value. I think it's simple; If you are a collector, then keep it. If you want something to drive everyday and drive it with spirit, then get the Cayman.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:59 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by algiorda
The problem with owning a car like the NSX that is appreciating in value is; You can't drive it! It becomes a garage queen because you don't want to put the mileage on it, don't want to chip the paint, and you really only enjoy looking at it and not driving it so as to not affect the resale value. I think it's simple; If you are a collector, then keep it. If you want something to drive everyday and drive it with spirit, then get the Cayman.
It's a third car that I put about 5K a year on, as will be what ever I replace it with.... the NSX won't tank like other exotic type cars with a little extra mileage although the lower the better , but that goes without saying with any car. To me it's just about getting something new.... if and when I sale the NSX the Cayman 981 will be top of the list.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:51 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Update-

Well it's a done deal, sold her last week..... after the announcement of the C8 I figured it was a good time to get out while I can.

I ended up asking $43,500 on Prime and got a solid offer for $42,000 the next day.

I ended up with about $7000 profit after buying here for $25,000 over five years ago and putting $10,000 into her.... I couldn't ask for a better ROI
sad to see her go, but i cried all the way to the bank.

so now I've got $42,000 burning a hole in my pocket and really wanted the C8, but after realizing how long it's going to take and how much it will actually be by the time you add some options I started thinking about the used R8's.... but now my wallet is talking me into going back to the 981 Cayman S

I don't know if it is the C8 effect or what, but there seems to be more on the market right now and some really good prices too.

I figure I could maybe get one and not lose too much money in the next couple years and wait to see where the dust settles on the C8.

Found a clean 2014 CPO white on black with 30k miles with an asking price of $49,899 that has most of the things I like..... that one got me leaning back to the 981 for sure.
The following 2 users liked this post by SoCal-NSX:
abarthguy (08-15-2019), ajw45 (08-14-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 09:07 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 769 Likes on 402 Posts

I wouldn't put my money down for a 1st year vette
Old 08-14-2019, 10:15 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

The C8 paradox thing is getting ridiculous. As far as things sit at the moment, it's just another Corvette. Corvettes have and most likely always will be "cheap" sports cars that outperform much pricier "exotics". I fail to see how much changing where the engine is located is going to alter the equation to the point where it gets brought up in nearly every conversation and apparently has some sort of cosmic causality effect.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:28 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
The C8 paradox thing is getting ridiculous. As far as things sit at the moment, it's just another Corvette. Corvettes have and most likely always will be "cheap" sports cars that outperform much pricier "exotics". I fail to see how much changing where the engine is located is going to alter the equation to the point where it gets brought up in nearly every conversation and apparently has some sort of cosmic causality effect.
The Corvette never intrigued me much. Having worked as a technician at a Chevy dealer through the mid 80's into the early 90's, I got to see what was underneath and it just didn't seem all that special. The C8, though, looks good enough and appears to have enough performance for me to think about dicking around with one for a year or two. Why not? In 2022 there'll probably be ample supply of lightly used 982 Spyders to jump into at below MSRP.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:17 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I was never a Vette fan, ever.... but all that changed on 7/18

i got to see it with my own eyes and sit it one a week later and loved it even more.... there was nothing cheap about that car, it was just as luxurious as any Porsche I've ever sat in...it was covered in Nappa leather, granted, this was the top of the line 3LT package with z51.

only reason I'm leaning back toward the 981 is the price and availability at the moment.....Figure I can play around with a nicely used Cayman the next couple years and not worry about a ton of depreciation while I wait for the dust to settle on the C8, but if I had $70k burning a hole in my pocket I'd be tempted to order one tomorrow when actually option pricing is revealed

The car car is a game changer imo

I don't know if its if it's because the C8 arrival, but it seems there are more choices and better prices right now on the 981 Caymans than I have seen in months.... Found a nice 30k mile white on black CPO Cayman S for a great price I might just have to fly to Texas to check out.

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling my NSX for 981 ???