Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of selling my NSX for 981 ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 10:17 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
have you ever driven the early model NA1 coupe (91-94) ??
............ but the early model NSX just has that amazing go kart like feel with the manual steering rack that the NA2 doesn't have, yes it's a pain trying to park, but there's nothing more visceral then driving the twisties with the manual steering. .............................

Like I said earlier , the 981 is kinda like a modern day original NA1 NSX and that's what's so appealing to me about the car.... ...

............ I've got to just figure out a way to try and keep the NSX, and just set my sights on a cheaper 981 in the next couple of years, my NSX is just too valuable to trade for a depreciating asset..................
Sadly, I've only driven NA2s. But, totally understand and appreciate the visceral feel of NA1 which earned it's legendary status (besides from other traits). In my view, 981 would go down as the best iteration of the platform. It would have been the best modern, open-top Porsche sports car if not for the lack of hydraulic steering and taller gearing. Still, not as old school as the NSX (or, S2000 or 987).

Your decision to hold on to it for a few more years makes sense. However, I do feel that you're now trapped into merely watching the value go up as opposed to enjoying a superior driving experience today! You already determined that the fun factor is much higher in 981! But, the upshot could be, if you stretch a bit and do some financial engineering, you could swing for a 981 GT4! But then, with the platform moving to hybrid and electric, for next gen, all NA models, especially GT4/Spyder, will continue to hold value and gradually start to rise.

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Another point I'd raise is that the only way the NSX is going to keep appreciating is if you don't drive it much. ..........
Exactly right. This reiterates my point above that he is now a captive of the appreciating curve (plausibly an uncertain curve) as opposed to truly enjoying superior dynamics today and everyday!
Old 05-03-2019, 12:57 AM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 878 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Sadly, I've only driven NA2s. But, totally understand and appreciate the visceral feel of NA1 which earned it's legendary status (besides from other traits). In my view, 981 would go down as the best iteration of the platform. It would have been the best modern, open-top Porsche sports car if not for the lack of hydraulic steering and taller gearing. Still, not as old school as the NSX (or, S2000 or 987).

Your decision to hold on to it for a few more years makes sense. However, I do feel that you're now trapped into merely watching the value go up as opposed to enjoying a superior driving experience today! You already determined that the fun factor is much higher in 981! But, the upshot could be, if you stretch a bit and do some financial engineering, you could swing for a 981 GT4! But then, with the platform moving to hybrid and electric, for next gen, all NA models, especially GT4/Spyder, will continue to hold value and gradually start to rise.

Exactly right. This reiterates my point above that he is now a captive of the appreciating curve (plausibly an uncertain curve) as opposed to truly enjoying superior dynamics today and everyday!
any car will depreciate the more miles you put on them but the NSX is a little bit different then the Ferrari type cars ..high miles don’t scare too many people away from a very well taken car of NSX. mine is no garage queen and never will be, it’s a third car that I drive once or twice a week to work and take and on canyon runs, cars and coffee etc..lucky for me I get to take a canyon to work and back. I put about 5k a year on it...but I’m seem to keep leaning towards the Cayman and cashing out the NSX

i think I’m just infatuated by the 981 right now.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:58 AM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 850tgul
Keep the NSX and, if you love the way the 981 drives, get a base 987.2. Have had both and the 987.2 base is about 95% the car the 981 base is at about 50% the price. They can be bad for $25k. Add a $600 head unit and get your apple CarPlay
thats certainly not a bad idea, but I’m just hooked on the looks of the 981 and getting a 2016 CPO with a warranty that’s good through 2022 is kinda the icing on the cake to me right now .... would love to find a low miles white one with the same options as the one I test drove. 6 speed with x73 suspension and 20” Carrera S wheels.

something like this

Old 05-03-2019, 08:42 AM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 298 Posts

thats certainly not a bad idea, but I’m just hooked on the looks of the 981 and getting a 2016 CPO with a warranty that’s good through 2022 is kinda the icing on the cake to me right now .... would love to find a low miles white one with the same options as the one I test drove. 6 speed with x73 suspension and 20” Carrera S wheels.

something like this
I wouldn’t be as concerned about a warranty on either a 987.2 or 981, both are very reliable cars. I can’t argue with you on the looks though. As much as I love my 987.2, my 981 with the 20” Carrera S wheels was much better looking imo.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:46 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

.............but I’m seem to keep leaning towards the Cayman and cashing out the NSX

i think I’m just infatuated by the 981 right now.
You're on the right track! Just do it! And, don't look back! As a driver, you'll be rewarded with rich dynamic experience from every single drive!

.............. 6 speed with x73 suspension and 20” Carrera S wheels.
Yes, X73 is mandatory; don't compromise. And, don't forget PSE unless you're planning on an after-market option. But, drone-free and CARB-compliant options are very limited. Yet, you can't drive a 981 without PSE (or, something comparable). You really need to hear it sing, at or near the redline!
Old 05-03-2019, 11:14 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
You're on the right track! Just do it! And, don't look back! As a driver, you'll be rewarded with rich dynamic experience from every single drive!

Yes, X73 is mandatory; don't compromise. And, don't forget PSE unless you're planning on an after-market option. But, drone-free and CARB-compliant options are very limited. Yet, you can't drive a 981 without PSE (or, something comparable). You really need to hear it sing, at or near the redline!
Wholehearted concur. I always search first for cars with PCCB as they usually have everything else I want. PCCB is so underrated. Not only is braking power significantly improved (and steering), but not having brake dust is wonderful for those who like to really keep their cars clean and nice, and the aesthetic is much improved. I also love X73 but if it were between PASM/PCCB and X73/steel brakes I'd probably go with PASM/PCCB. To me PASM is completely overrated, but buying used makes PCCB very affordable and it's well worth the premium.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:15 AM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Took this minty white one for a spin today in Carlsbad to see what the PDK version was like....

Was not not as good as the Irvine area for a test drive, but it was enough to realize I would be happy either way, although I still lean towards the manual, I could get used to the PDK.

think I'm gonna put the NSX up for sale then search for a good deal on a 15-16 white CPO with the 20" Carrera S wheel with black interior preferably with X73...for some reason that's pretty hard to find these days.

also starting to see slightly used 718's for close to the same prices as the low mileage 981's, I might have to take a test drive in one of those .....although I'm pretty sure I want the 981.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:38 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by 850tgul
I wouldn’t be as concerned about a warranty on either a 987.2 or 981, both are very reliable cars. I can’t argue with you on the looks though. As much as I love my 987.2, my 981 with the 20” Carrera S wheels was much better looking imo.
Stick a fork in you -- you're done.

If you had $45k and were deciding between buying the NSX and the 981 now, which one would you buy and why? Though depreciation/value may matter, cars are not investments. Much better places to invest your money. What's the point in parking the $ in a car that's a better "investment" when you know there is another that's a worse investment but you would enjoy more? What's the main purpose for the purchase, fun or investment? Stick with the primary intended purpose. Life's short.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:37 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Late to the thread but drove my buddies NA1 NSX recently and it was pretty epic. What a great ride, was super fun to drive, great steering feel, awesome pedal placement for heel toe, and felt fast even at 30mph. After the super low NSX, the 981 feels huge, like driving an SUV. There's nothing like it on sale today and with ever tightening modern safety regulations, never will be again. BUT, I wouldn't sell my GT4 for one. They are both NA, mid-engine, 2 seat, 6 cylinder cars but not really substitutes. The NSX seems like a great 3rd or 4th car/toy you keep just for the driving experience whereas the 981 can do everything and do it better/faster.

In particular, I was surprised at how much better the 981 stops and goes despite being the bigger heavier car. The flat six feels way more responsive, sounds better IMO, and is a way more exciting engine to drive while the Porsche brakes make the NSX really feel it's age. Also, I had no idea there is just a hole in the NSX where the 981's frunk is! Aside from just feeling a little cheap that they didn't even bother to put an aero panel there, the lack of usable storage means no room for a track box, road trip luggage, not even a couple bags of groceries which really limits how many different ways you can enjoy the NSX.

Get the 981. As great and unique as the NSX driving experience is, I think most people would get way more fun and enjoyment over time out of a 981.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:22 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ajw45
Late to the thread but drove my buddies NA1 NSX recently and it was pretty epic. What a great ride, was super fun to drive, great steering feel, awesome pedal placement for heel toe, and felt fast even at 30mph. After the super low NSX, the 981 feels huge, like driving an SUV. There's nothing like it on sale today and with ever tightening modern safety regulations, never will be again. BUT, I wouldn't sell my GT4 for one. They are both NA, mid-engine, 2 seat, 6 cylinder cars but not really substitutes. The NSX seems like a great 3rd or 4th car/toy you keep just for the driving experience whereas the 981 can do everything and do it better/faster.

In particular, I was surprised at how much better the 981 stops and goes despite being the bigger heavier car. The flat six feels way more responsive, sounds better IMO, and is a way more exciting engine to drive while the Porsche brakes make the NSX really feel it's age. Also, I had no idea there is just a hole in the NSX where the 981's frunk is! Aside from just feeling a little cheap that they didn't even bother to put an aero panel there, the lack of usable storage means no room for a track box, road trip luggage, not even a couple bags of groceries which really limits how many different ways you can enjoy the NSX.

Get the 981. As great and unique as the NSX driving experience is, I think most people would get way more fun and enjoyment over time out of a 981.
good stuff.... man I wish I was swapping for a GT4, but I still think the base 981 would be a lot of fun and with room for some fun mods....gonna shoot for an S though

the NSX actually has a spacious rear trunk....I can fit golf clubs in there with no problems

the frunk is where they stash the emergency spare tire.....which most people just remove for weight saving.

and yes my lowered NSX roofline is about a foot shorter then the Cayman 981..... most cars look like SUV's parked next to it.

i realize most people think I'm crazy to sale the NSX for a Cayman(including my wife) and it's not the best financial decision, but there is something about the 981 that has me transfixed..... took my 17 year old son with me to check out the car yesterday and he was on the sale the NSX team after seeing it.

I figure if I get a low mileage 2016 CPO I could probably sell it before the warranty runs out in 2022 and not lose a ton of money if I decide to move on to something else....think I'm gonna put some money into the NSX and get the timing belt and water pump done( its about due) and put her up for sale.
if I can't get the money I want for it, I won't be heart broken keeping it. I still enjoy the hell out of my NSX I think I just want something new.

I blame my 2015 f32 that I picked up last year for my new found love of German luxury and performance

here's my favorite daily beater

Last edited by SoCal-NSX; 05-06-2019 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:33 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

good stuff.... man I wish I was swapping for a GT4, but I still think the base 981 would be a lot of fun and with room for some fun mods....gonna shoot for an S though
Yeah, S, GTS, Spyder, GT4, driven them all and they are all great (haven't tried the base) and it is just a great platform. If it were me, I would make sure to get PTV for the lsd which is $$$ to add aftermarket....
Old 05-06-2019, 11:51 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ajw45
Yeah, S, GTS, Spyder, GT4, driven them all and they are all great (haven't tried the base) and it is just a great platform. If it were me, I would make sure to get PTV for the lsd which is $$$ to add aftermarket....

I have stumbled upon a couple with the Sports Design Package that really look great with the GTS body.

I wish I had the go ahead from my boss to just buy one right now and then sale the NSX if I had to.

starting to sniff around the 718 right now too since there are some barley used examples for a few bucks more than the 981's .... I just wish they had the NA V6 still

Whats the the best stage 1 out there right now on these cars and what HP gains can you expect from them?

thanks!

Last edited by SoCal-NSX; 05-07-2019 at 01:22 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:43 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

If I had the dough in hand I'd be tempted by this one....for sale here in So Cal nicely equipped 2016 base with the SportDesign Pkg with the alcantera sports steering wheel.

only thing I don't like is the side lettering .... I'm hoping those peel right off ???

that GTS front end is fire

Old 05-08-2019, 12:43 AM
Ale_72
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 74 Posts

In US in which price range could you sell the NSX?
And how much would it be a 981 base?
Old 05-08-2019, 12:51 AM
various cheeses
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

How are the operating costs on a 90s NSX compared to a 981 base? The performance stats are similar on paper, at least for the basic stuff.

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling my NSX for 981 ???