Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of selling my NSX for 981 ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 05:18 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
love the R, but I'm shallow Hal and looks are important to me.... I know looks are subjective but I think the 981 is the best looking Cayman out there right now.... although I think the R is a good investment

think I'd rather get a 981 GTS for the price of what the 987 R's are going for right now.....and if I had the coin the GT4 would be my ultimate keeper Cayman
I get you, I too loved the 981's looks, got myself a Cayman GTS, it was gorgeous. But after a couple years I grew to really appreciate how the 987 looked too, and I think the 987 Caymans are every bit as good looking.

Oddly, I've never been tempted by the NSX because of its looks. I always thought it was a bit bland. The Ferraris of the day were no doubt more expensive to drive and so on, but a 348, that pushed my buttons.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:39 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by daylorb
I'll play the contrarian point of view - if you are into collecting things, then hard to argue - keep the NSX. If you are into using things, and don't get excited about collecting, then get the 981. Performance-wise/drive-wise I don't think the older NSX is a match for the 981.

As much as I think the NSX would be a keeper for someone with 8 garage bays, for someone who just likes to drive it may not be.
This guy makes a darn good point. I have a list about 10 cars long that I want, mostly for nostalgia's sake. It's a list of cars that I loved...obsessed over, even...at various points in my past. But if I'm being PERFECTLY honest, if I get my hands on one of those cars, I'd probably be less likely to actually drive the thing, and more likely to just look at it in the garage and drive a few miles to the local cars & coffee once a month. I would be collecting the car, not driving it. Is that what I want to do? Is that what you want to do?

The NSX is one of those cars on my list. I want one. I've always wanted one. I couldn't afford one when they were new. Now that I can afford one (a used one), I don't see myself spending $50K on a car that I know I won't really drive. I don't have a warehouse to store my dream cars or an unlimited budget to buy cars and then not drive them, so I have to put my money towards something that I'm going to use. I get the hesitancy to sell a car that is appreciating for one that is depreciating, and honestly, that's a tough call. But if you want a car that you're going to enjoy driving on a regular basis, the guy I quoted is right. The Cayman is the better drivers car. Plus, the 981 has the best body lines of any modern day Porsche, hands down. It's a sexy car.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:45 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-acura-nsx-54/
Old 05-01-2019, 09:46 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 879 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
This guy makes a darn good point. I have a list about 10 cars long that I want, mostly for nostalgia's sake. It's a list of cars that I loved...obsessed over, even...at various points in my past. But if I'm being PERFECTLY honest, if I get my hands on one of those cars, I'd probably be less likely to actually drive the thing, and more likely to just look at it in the garage and drive a few miles to the local cars & coffee once a month. I would be collecting the car, not driving it. Is that what I want to do? Is that what you want to do?

The NSX is one of those cars on my list. I want one. I've always wanted one. I couldn't afford one when they were new. Now that I can afford one (a used one), I don't see myself spending $50K on a car that I know I won't really drive. I don't have a warehouse to store my dream cars or an unlimited budget to buy cars and then not drive them, so I have to put my money towards something that I'm going to use. I get the hesitancy to sell a car that is appreciating for one that is depreciating, and honestly, that's a tough call. But if you want a car that you're going to enjoy driving on a regular basis, the guy I quoted is right. The Cayman is the better drivers car. Plus, the 981 has the best body lines of any modern day Porsche, hands down. It's a sexy car.
thats one thing you won’t have to worry about with the NSX, they’re damn near bulletproof as long as you keep up on the maintenance... there are quite a few out there with over 300,000 miles on them and still going strong. I wouldn’t daily drive it, but once or twice a week to work and some track days no problem
i put about 5-6k miles a year on mine.

and yes I agree the 981 is a damn sexy car!!!
Old 05-02-2019, 07:36 AM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

thats one thing you won’t have to worry about with the NSX, they’re damn near bulletproof as long as you keep up on the maintenance... there are quite a few out there with over 300,000 miles on them and still going strong. I wouldn’t daily drive it, but once or twice a week to work and some track days no problem
i put about 5-6k miles a year on mine.

and yes I agree the 981 is a damn sexy car!!!
If you drive your NSX 5-6k miles per year as it is, I say keep it. As long as it hasn't been reduced to garage queen status, I think it is the better long term keeper car, if for no other reason than it is an appreciating classic.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:58 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Driving position is totally different from cars of the 90s to modern cars. You sit more upright and you can actually see the front hood/fenders from the driver's seat. You can also drive with your arm hanging out the door. Notice the proportion of height of the side window to the height of the door.

The engineers of the NSX took inspiration of the high outward visibility of a F-16 Falcon with its bubble canopy.

NSX prices will keep going up and up and up...
Old 05-02-2019, 02:15 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are you going to ask for your NSX?

-Jason
Old 05-02-2019, 02:33 PM
KrisA
Racer

Received 199 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ekam
Driving position is totally different from cars of the 90s to modern cars. You sit more upright and you can actually see the front hood/fenders from the driver's seat. You can also drive with your arm hanging out the door. Notice the proportion of height of the side window to the height of the door.
That quote sums up perfectly why I love my 2012 Cayman! While it may a fairly recent build the proportions and driving position date back to the 90's 986.

I used to have a 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo way back in the day, that car had an even lower hood line and belt line. You could see the road coming up under the front of the car mere feet in front of your hands, it was neat.

981's have a bit of what I call the "bath tub effect". I feel like I'm too deep into the car, visibility is OK, but not great and it dulls the sense of speed.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:35 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 879 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Warehouse33.net
What are you going to ask for your NSX?

-Jason
depends on how fast I need to sale it I guess..... prices right now seemed to be all over the place from about $42K on up to crazy money

Being a two owner California car with a few tasteful mods with new clutch, belts and hoses .....clean title and very high autocheck score with all records with no stories, I should be in pretty good shape.

it even still has the original car phone in it, which is extremely hard to find these days I guess.

like I said, I'll probably be buried in the thing someday, but.......if the right offer comes around you never know ???
Old 05-02-2019, 05:47 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

depends on how fast I need to sale it I guess..... prices right now seemed to be all over the place from about $42K on up to crazy money

Being a two owner California car with a few tasteful mods with new clutch, belts and hoses .....clean title and very high autocheck score with all records with no stories, I should be in pretty good shape.

it even still has the original car phone in it, which is extremely hard to find these days I guess.

like I said, I'll probably be buried in the thing someday, but.......if the right offer comes around you never know ???
Yeah I'm still kicking myself for not buying one a few years back.

-Jason
Old 05-02-2019, 06:13 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
I get the hesitancy to sell a car that is appreciating for one that is depreciating, and honestly, that's a tough call.
If you currently project to hit the grave with a substantial sum of CASH in the bank, what difference does it make? Buy what you want, enjoy it how you want, sell it, and enjoy another one. Hell, buy the same damn car again down the road if you want. They're not women. They're cars. So what if down the road he regrets selling the NSX. He'll get over it!
Old 05-02-2019, 06:34 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Disclaimer: I'm a fan of first gen NSX. When I used to work at an Acura dealership, in a previous life, driven a few. Still kicking myself for not picking up the last Targa in Imola Orange sitting on the floor for months because we couldn't sell it! I had a 986 Boxster S at that time. Being a hardcore open top guy, just couldn't do a Targa. But, that Imola Orange......!

Now, here are my personal opinions. I'm pretty sure I would be in the tiny minority. In my view, NSX is hyped up! It IS nice. But, not as good as the hype. In my experience, the S2000 is more visceral and offers better driving feel. The NSX I would care about is the Type R, which we didn't get. As a driver, what matters is how the car makes you feel. Not the iconic status (right or wrong), rarity, exclusivity, etc. SoCal-NSX, you sound excited after driving the 981. You "feel" alive after just one or two spirited drives. Not sure if that car had X73 (Sport Suspension), PTV (Torque Vectoring) and PSE (Sports Exhaust). With those options, the ride really comes alive! I can tell, you really loved the drive. There is your answer. Which car makes you feel alive and excited? Disregard appreciating vs depreciating dilemma. You wanna enjoy the drive today and everyday.

As others have pointed out, ideally, you could have both. Since you can't, my vote goes to selling the NSX and get the 981. Whatever NSX stood for, are just memories. The modern 981 is far superior for a "driver". Deep inside, you know it! There is just no way I would choose to keep the aging NSX over the superior (in terms of driving dynamics) 981, if I can't have both. Even back in the days, the 986 Boxster S offered better driving experience than the brand new NSX. So, the bottom line, in my view: sell the NSX and get the 981. And, enjoy the ride!
I agree with your perspective. The NSX was a phenomenal car 25 years ago, but today it's little more than a collector's piece. Nice design and a great performer in the early 1990s, but not so today. Today it would be challenged by a 2019 6 cyl Toyota Camry. Lots of nostalgia for the NSX, just like for the 993, but a pain in the butt to maintain if driven on a regular basis. A great car to get out on those nice Spring days, but not certainly a car that I'd want as a DD. If the OP can afford an NSX and 981, then that would be an ideal choice. If fiances are a consideration, then sell the NSX and be thankful that it will bring in a great price. I was certainly happy with the price that I got for my ten year old 993.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:57 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Another point I'd raise is that the only way the NSX is going to keep appreciating is if you don't drive it much. Driving an investment-grade car on public roads is a poor investment decision IMO, regardless of the merits of the car itself. We used to see older 911s on the road all the time until they started getting stupidly valuable, now they're just moldering away in the proverbial barns.

If you switch to the Cayman you can (and likely will) drive it everywhere, all the time, without worry.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:01 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 298 Posts

Keep the NSX and, if you love the way the 981 drives, get a base 987.2. Have had both and the 987.2 base is about 95% the car the 981 base is at about 50% the price. They can be bad for $25k. Add a $600 head unit and get your apple CarPlay
Old 05-02-2019, 08:50 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
If you currently project to hit the grave with a substantial sum of CASH in the bank, what difference does it make? Buy what you want, enjoy it how you want, sell it, and enjoy another one. Hell, buy the same damn car again down the road if you want. They're not women. They're cars. So what if down the road he regrets selling the NSX. He'll get over it!
I agree. They are machines in the end. Some like to look at machines, I like to see them operate.

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling my NSX for 981 ???