Notices

Thinking of selling my NSX for 981 ???

 
Old 05-01-2019, 10:51 AM
  #31  
Stram toni
New User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 2
Default

Stram toni is offline  
Old 05-01-2019, 11:09 AM
  #32  
manifold danger
User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 283
Default

Originally Posted by ToasterThief View Post
The 981 came out back in 2012 with the 2013 Boxster. Bluetooth was great then, but now, in 2019, in order for me to consider a car has a "modern" system, it has to have something like Carplay. The fact that my wife's Macan has it, which we purchased in 2016, and a GT4, which was being delivered in to 2017, couldn't get it, is kind of silly. At the end of the day, when I compare my "new" 987 Spyder to my "old" 981CS, what practical differences in the stereo/electronics are there? At the end of the day, both let me listen to music from my phone. Both have outdated navigation systems that I never use, and both have me using jerry-rigging my phone for directions. I guess the screen on the 981 was nicer, but practically speaking, who cares? What real, practical differences are there?
The 987 interior just looks old, but that's not the point. You're the one that said the 981 is "hopelessly behind"... and come to find out you mean it's actually just missing carplay. Which wasn't really a thing until 2016 anyway, just before the 718 refresh.

It's literally just carplay. Which is what, pretty much just the ability for your car to read out your texts to you, which Siri can do via bluetooth? Also means nothing unless you have an iphone.

Anyway, does that really classify as "hopelessly behind"?
manifold danger is offline  
Old 05-01-2019, 01:17 PM
  #33  
JAhmed
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
JAhmed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CHICAGOLAND!!!
Posts: 1,039
Default

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX View Post
yeah.....that's the plan

as much as I want one and want it now, I just can't sale the NSX to do it.....but damn it is tempting after driving one
Smart man. The NSX is a damn good car and a classic. Never let it go.
JAhmed is offline  
Old 05-01-2019, 01:20 PM
  #34  
Ale_72
User
 
Ale_72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Zurich/Milan
Posts: 342
Default

Originally Posted by Noah Fect View Post
Such as?
if I would be able to assess the state of the art technology in car entertainment in 5 years, I'd probably be on a Pagani forum discussing how to spec my 3rd Huayra.
From my experience in the last three decades, after 5/10 years all the electronics in cars was feeling outdated (both froma . design and technology).
But if for somebody the 981 is the state of the art, I will not fight against that.
I think my PCM 3.0 of my 987 is crap (and in fact I use it only via bluetooth from my phone). But I dont give a damn about that since I haven't bought the spyder for that reason
And I think that the Becker Mexico 7948 that I have on my other car is not any better (and it was the hi-end 1DIN navi system in 2006 and now it's like an old grandma FM radio - except the design, still stunning)
Ale_72 is offline  
Old 05-01-2019, 01:21 PM
  #35  
SpyderSenseOC
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SpyderSenseOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 832
Default

Originally Posted by JAhmed View Post
Smart man. The NSX is a damn good car and a classic. Never let it go.
Delete
SpyderSenseOC is offline  
Old 05-01-2019, 01:22 PM
  #36  
SpyderSenseOC
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SpyderSenseOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 832
Default

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX View Post
yeah.....that's the plan

as much as I want one and want it now, I just can't sale the NSX to do it.....but damn it is tempting after driving one
You've obviously grown a little tired of the NSX. Why not let it go and do something new? I mean, it's not the last NSX on the planet and you can always go back someday. Get what you want. You deserve it.
SpyderSenseOC is offline  
Old 05-01-2019, 02:38 PM
  #37  
the_rider
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
the_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Minnetonka, Minnesota
Posts: 871
Default

Disclaimer: I'm a fan of first gen NSX. When I used to work at an Acura dealership, in a previous life, driven a few. Still kicking myself for not picking up the last Targa in Imola Orange sitting on the floor for months because we couldn't sell it! I had a 986 Boxster S at that time. Being a hardcore open top guy, just couldn't do a Targa. But, that Imola Orange......!

Now, here are my personal opinions. I'm pretty sure I would be in the tiny minority. In my view, NSX is hyped up! It IS nice. But, not as good as the hype. In my experience, the S2000 is more visceral and offers better driving feel. The NSX I would care about is the Type R, which we didn't get. As a driver, what matters is how the car makes you feel. Not the iconic status (right or wrong), rarity, exclusivity, etc. SoCal-NSX, you sound excited after driving the 981. You "feel" alive after just one or two spirited drives. Not sure if that car had X73 (Sport Suspension), PTV (Torque Vectoring) and PSE (Sports Exhaust). With those options, the ride really comes alive! I can tell, you really loved the drive. There is your answer. Which car makes you feel alive and excited? Disregard appreciating vs depreciating dilemma. You wanna enjoy the drive today and everyday.

As others have pointed out, ideally, you could have both. Since you can't, my vote goes to selling the NSX and get the 981. Whatever NSX stood for, are just memories. The modern 981 is far superior for a "driver". Deep inside, you know it! There is just no way I would choose to keep the aging NSX over the superior (in terms of driving dynamics) 981, if I can't have both. Even back in the days, the 986 Boxster S offered better driving experience than the brand new NSX. So, the bottom line, in my view: sell the NSX and get the 981. And, enjoy the ride!
the_rider is offline  
Old 05-01-2019, 02:39 PM
  #38  
kiznarsh
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
kiznarsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: SoCal
Posts: 241
Default

Here's my recommendation: every once in a while, rent a 981 from Turo for a weekend just to scratch the itch. Drive it down towards Palomar, Julian, Anza-Borrego where you can enjoy the car in its natural habitat. Then you can return it and go back to enjoying the NSX.
kiznarsh is offline  
Old 05-01-2019, 02:58 PM
  #39  
911Königin
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
911Königin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pothole City
Posts: 13,555
Default

Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
Here's my recommendation: every once in a while, rent a 981 from Turo for a weekend just to scratch the itch. Drive it down towards Palomar, Julian, Anza-Borrego where you can enjoy the car in its natural habitat. Then you can return it and go back to enjoying the NSX.
I like this idea! There are fewer and fewer NSX's............

I guess it is a good thing I don't have the money to buy all the cars I like ~ then I would have to buy a farm to hold them all
911Königin is offline  
Old 05-01-2019, 03:17 PM
  #40  
jasonturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
jasonturbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: North Vancouver
Posts: 196
Default

Without question I would replace an NSX w/ a Cayman, I used to have a 1997 NSX and a 981 GT4 at the same time, I completely stopped driving the NSX after taking delivery of the Cayman.

Other than the looks, nostalgia, and "JDM fanboy" appeal the NSX had very little to offer, never mind the cost and availability of replacement parts.
jasonturbo is offline  
Old 05-01-2019, 03:22 PM
  #41  
daylorb
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
daylorb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 616
Default

I'll play the contrarian point of view - if you are into collecting things, then hard to argue - keep the NSX. If you are into using things, and don't get excited about collecting, then get the 981. Performance-wise/drive-wise I don't think the older NSX is a match for the 981.

As much as I think the NSX would be a keeper for someone with 8 garage bays, for someone who just likes to drive it may not be.
daylorb is offline  
Old 05-01-2019, 03:24 PM
  #42  
SoCal-NSX
User
Thread Starter
 
SoCal-NSX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 72
Default

Originally Posted by the_rider View Post
Disclaimer: I'm a fan of first gen NSX. When I used to work at an Acura dealership, in a previous life, driven a few. Still kicking myself for not picking up the last Targa in Imola Orange sitting on the floor for months because we couldn't sell it! I had a 986 Boxster S at that time. Being a hardcore open top guy, just couldn't do a Targa. But, that Imola Orange......!

Now, here are my personal opinions. I'm pretty sure I would be in the tiny minority. In my view, NSX is hyped up! It IS nice. But, not as good as the hype. In my experience, the S2000 is more visceral and offers better driving feel. The NSX I would care about is the Type R, which we didn't get. As a driver, what matters is how the car makes you feel. Not the iconic status (right or wrong), rarity, exclusivity, etc. SoCal-NSX, you sound excited after driving the 981. You "feel" alive after just one or two spirited drives. Not sure if that car had X73 (Sport Suspension), PTV (Torque Vectoring) and PSE (Sports Exhaust). With those options, the ride really comes alive! I can tell, you really loved the drive. There is your answer. Which car makes you feel alive and excited? Disregard appreciating vs depreciating dilemma. You wanna enjoy the drive today and everyday.

As others have pointed out, ideally, you could have both. Since you can't, my vote goes to selling the NSX and get the 981. Whatever NSX stood for, are just memories. The modern 981 is far superior for a "driver". Deep inside, you know it! There is just no way I would choose to keep the aging NSX over the superior (in terms of driving dynamics) 981, if I can't have both. Even back in the days, the 986 Boxster S offered better driving experience than the brand new NSX. So, the bottom line, in my view: sell the NSX and get the 981. And, enjoy the ride!
good stuff and I agree with a lot of that....
have you ever driven the early model NA1 coupe (91-94) ??
Although it has the smaller engine with 20 less HP and only 5 speed manual compared to the NA2 6 speed.... but the early model NSX just has that amazing go kart like feel with the manual steering rack that the NA2 doesn't have, yes it's a pain trying to park, but there's nothing more visceral then driving the twisties with the manual steering. It's why I'm on my third NA1 5 speed coupe. They are a kick to drive, but the CD changer is about the newest technology I have in the cockpit. lol

Like I said earlier , the 981 is kinda like a modern day original NA1 NSX and that's what's so appealing to me about the car.... it's a much better car than my 1992 NSX in every way no doubt, as any sports car 24 years newer should be....

there are are plenty of pros and cons in selling my NSX for say $45k and buying a 2016 CPO 981 for $45K

pros- newness, warranty, amazing performance, great looking, tech, community, etc

cons- depreciation, doesn't have the "wow" factor , people will accuse me of being crazy

In the short term I think I'd be very happy with the new 981, but in the long run.....I'd probably end up losing about $25-30k in equity in 5 years.
( that's assuming the Cayman is worth about $25-30k and the NSX is going for say $50-55K in 5 years)
that's the main reason I've got to just figure out a way to try and keep the NSX, and just set my sights on a cheaper 981 in the next couple of years, my NSX is just too valuable to trade for a depreciating asset.....maybe I will try to hold out for the GTS prices to fall a little bit more.... it's hard to go from having a sports car that makes money every time you sale one to losing thousands when I sale the Cayman down the line.

But you do make some very valid points.
SoCal-NSX is offline  
Old 05-01-2019, 03:34 PM
  #43  
andy7777
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 237
Default

Find a nice 2012 Cayman R and call it a day. The steering feel alone is worth the trouble to find it over a 981 and its not going to really depreciate on you.
andy7777 is offline  
Old 05-01-2019, 03:35 PM
  #44  
SoCal-NSX
User
Thread Starter
 
SoCal-NSX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 72
Default

Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Without question I would replace an NSX w/ a Cayman, I used to have a 1997 NSX and a 981 GT4 at the same time, I completely stopped driving the NSX after taking delivery of the Cayman.

Other than the looks, nostalgia, and "JDM fanboy" appeal the NSX had very little to offer, never mind the cost and availability of replacement parts.
Originally Posted by daylorb View Post
I'll play the contrarian point of view - if you are into collecting things, then hard to argue - keep the NSX. If you are into using things, and don't get excited about collecting, then get the 981. Performance-wise/drive-wise I don't think the older NSX is a match for the 981.

As much as I think the NSX would be a keeper for someone with 8 garage bays, for someone who just likes to drive it may not be.

you see...every time I think I'm doing the right thing by keeping the NSX, there is the devil on my shoulder making some sense


SoCal-NSX is offline  
Old 05-01-2019, 03:45 PM
  #45  
SoCal-NSX
User
Thread Starter
 
SoCal-NSX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 72
Default

Originally Posted by andy7777 View Post
Find a nice 2012 Cayman R and call it a day. The steering feel alone is worth the trouble to find it over a 981 and its not going to really depreciate on you.
love the R, but I'm shallow Hal and looks are important to me.... I know looks are subjective but I think the 981 is the best looking Cayman out there right now.... although I think the R is a good investment

think I'd rather get a 981 GTS for the price of what the 987 R's are going for right now.....and if I had the coin the GT4 would be my ultimate keeper Cayman
SoCal-NSX is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: