Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of selling my NSX for 981 ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 11:09 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by ToasterThief
The 981 came out back in 2012 with the 2013 Boxster. Bluetooth was great then, but now, in 2019, in order for me to consider a car has a "modern" system, it has to have something like Carplay. The fact that my wife's Macan has it, which we purchased in 2016, and a GT4, which was being delivered in to 2017, couldn't get it, is kind of silly. At the end of the day, when I compare my "new" 987 Spyder to my "old" 981CS, what practical differences in the stereo/electronics are there? At the end of the day, both let me listen to music from my phone. Both have outdated navigation systems that I never use, and both have me using jerry-rigging my phone for directions. I guess the screen on the 981 was nicer, but practically speaking, who cares? What real, practical differences are there?
The 987 interior just looks old, but that's not the point. You're the one that said the 981 is "hopelessly behind"... and come to find out you mean it's actually just missing carplay. Which wasn't really a thing until 2016 anyway, just before the 718 refresh.

It's literally just carplay. Which is what, pretty much just the ability for your car to read out your texts to you, which Siri can do via bluetooth? Also means nothing unless you have an iphone.

Anyway, does that really classify as "hopelessly behind"?
Old 05-01-2019, 01:17 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,775 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
yeah.....that's the plan

as much as I want one and want it now, I just can't sale the NSX to do it.....but damn it is tempting after driving one
Smart man. The NSX is a damn good car and a classic. Never let it go.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:20 PM
Ale_72
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Such as?
if I would be able to assess the state of the art technology in car entertainment in 5 years, I'd probably be on a Pagani forum discussing how to spec my 3rd Huayra.
From my experience in the last three decades, after 5/10 years all the electronics in cars was feeling outdated (both froma . design and technology).
But if for somebody the 981 is the state of the art, I will not fight against that.
I think my PCM 3.0 of my 987 is crap (and in fact I use it only via bluetooth from my phone). But I dont give a damn about that since I haven't bought the spyder for that reason
And I think that the Becker Mexico 7948 that I have on my other car is not any better (and it was the hi-end 1DIN navi system in 2006 and now it's like an old grandma FM radio - except the design, still stunning)
Old 05-01-2019, 01:21 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,324 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
Smart man. The NSX is a damn good car and a classic. Never let it go.
Delete
Old 05-01-2019, 01:22 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,324 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
yeah.....that's the plan

as much as I want one and want it now, I just can't sale the NSX to do it.....but damn it is tempting after driving one
You've obviously grown a little tired of the NSX. Why not let it go and do something new? I mean, it's not the last NSX on the planet and you can always go back someday. Get what you want. You deserve it.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:38 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Disclaimer: I'm a fan of first gen NSX. When I used to work at an Acura dealership, in a previous life, driven a few. Still kicking myself for not picking up the last Targa in Imola Orange sitting on the floor for months because we couldn't sell it! I had a 986 Boxster S at that time. Being a hardcore open top guy, just couldn't do a Targa. But, that Imola Orange......!

Now, here are my personal opinions. I'm pretty sure I would be in the tiny minority. In my view, NSX is hyped up! It IS nice. But, not as good as the hype. In my experience, the S2000 is more visceral and offers better driving feel. The NSX I would care about is the Type R, which we didn't get. As a driver, what matters is how the car makes you feel. Not the iconic status (right or wrong), rarity, exclusivity, etc. SoCal-NSX, you sound excited after driving the 981. You "feel" alive after just one or two spirited drives. Not sure if that car had X73 (Sport Suspension), PTV (Torque Vectoring) and PSE (Sports Exhaust). With those options, the ride really comes alive! I can tell, you really loved the drive. There is your answer. Which car makes you feel alive and excited? Disregard appreciating vs depreciating dilemma. You wanna enjoy the drive today and everyday.

As others have pointed out, ideally, you could have both. Since you can't, my vote goes to selling the NSX and get the 981. Whatever NSX stood for, are just memories. The modern 981 is far superior for a "driver". Deep inside, you know it! There is just no way I would choose to keep the aging NSX over the superior (in terms of driving dynamics) 981, if I can't have both. Even back in the days, the 986 Boxster S offered better driving experience than the brand new NSX. So, the bottom line, in my view: sell the NSX and get the 981. And, enjoy the ride!
Old 05-01-2019, 02:39 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

Here's my recommendation: every once in a while, rent a 981 from Turo for a weekend just to scratch the itch. Drive it down towards Palomar, Julian, Anza-Borrego where you can enjoy the car in its natural habitat. Then you can return it and go back to enjoying the NSX.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:58 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
Here's my recommendation: every once in a while, rent a 981 from Turo for a weekend just to scratch the itch. Drive it down towards Palomar, Julian, Anza-Borrego where you can enjoy the car in its natural habitat. Then you can return it and go back to enjoying the NSX.
I like this idea! There are fewer and fewer NSX's............

I guess it is a good thing I don't have the money to buy all the cars I like ~ then I would have to buy a farm to hold them all
Old 05-01-2019, 03:17 PM
jasonturbo
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 28 Posts

Without question I would replace an NSX w/ a Cayman, I used to have a 1997 NSX and a 981 GT4 at the same time, I completely stopped driving the NSX after taking delivery of the Cayman.

Other than the looks, nostalgia, and "JDM fanboy" appeal the NSX had very little to offer, never mind the cost and availability of replacement parts.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:22 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I'll play the contrarian point of view - if you are into collecting things, then hard to argue - keep the NSX. If you are into using things, and don't get excited about collecting, then get the 981. Performance-wise/drive-wise I don't think the older NSX is a match for the 981.

As much as I think the NSX would be a keeper for someone with 8 garage bays, for someone who just likes to drive it may not be.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:24 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 883 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Disclaimer: I'm a fan of first gen NSX. When I used to work at an Acura dealership, in a previous life, driven a few. Still kicking myself for not picking up the last Targa in Imola Orange sitting on the floor for months because we couldn't sell it! I had a 986 Boxster S at that time. Being a hardcore open top guy, just couldn't do a Targa. But, that Imola Orange......!

Now, here are my personal opinions. I'm pretty sure I would be in the tiny minority. In my view, NSX is hyped up! It IS nice. But, not as good as the hype. In my experience, the S2000 is more visceral and offers better driving feel. The NSX I would care about is the Type R, which we didn't get. As a driver, what matters is how the car makes you feel. Not the iconic status (right or wrong), rarity, exclusivity, etc. SoCal-NSX, you sound excited after driving the 981. You "feel" alive after just one or two spirited drives. Not sure if that car had X73 (Sport Suspension), PTV (Torque Vectoring) and PSE (Sports Exhaust). With those options, the ride really comes alive! I can tell, you really loved the drive. There is your answer. Which car makes you feel alive and excited? Disregard appreciating vs depreciating dilemma. You wanna enjoy the drive today and everyday.

As others have pointed out, ideally, you could have both. Since you can't, my vote goes to selling the NSX and get the 981. Whatever NSX stood for, are just memories. The modern 981 is far superior for a "driver". Deep inside, you know it! There is just no way I would choose to keep the aging NSX over the superior (in terms of driving dynamics) 981, if I can't have both. Even back in the days, the 986 Boxster S offered better driving experience than the brand new NSX. So, the bottom line, in my view: sell the NSX and get the 981. And, enjoy the ride!
good stuff and I agree with a lot of that....
have you ever driven the early model NA1 coupe (91-94) ??
Although it has the smaller engine with 20 less HP and only 5 speed manual compared to the NA2 6 speed.... but the early model NSX just has that amazing go kart like feel with the manual steering rack that the NA2 doesn't have, yes it's a pain trying to park, but there's nothing more visceral then driving the twisties with the manual steering. It's why I'm on my third NA1 5 speed coupe. They are a kick to drive, but the CD changer is about the newest technology I have in the cockpit. lol

Like I said earlier , the 981 is kinda like a modern day original NA1 NSX and that's what's so appealing to me about the car.... it's a much better car than my 1992 NSX in every way no doubt, as any sports car 24 years newer should be....

there are are plenty of pros and cons in selling my NSX for say $45k and buying a 2016 CPO 981 for $45K

pros- newness, warranty, amazing performance, great looking, tech, community, etc

cons- depreciation, doesn't have the "wow" factor , people will accuse me of being crazy

In the short term I think I'd be very happy with the new 981, but in the long run.....I'd probably end up losing about $25-30k in equity in 5 years.
( that's assuming the Cayman is worth about $25-30k and the NSX is going for say $50-55K in 5 years)
that's the main reason I've got to just figure out a way to try and keep the NSX, and just set my sights on a cheaper 981 in the next couple of years, my NSX is just too valuable to trade for a depreciating asset.....maybe I will try to hold out for the GTS prices to fall a little bit more.... it's hard to go from having a sports car that makes money every time you sale one to losing thousands when I sale the Cayman down the line.

But you do make some very valid points.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:34 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 140 Posts

Find a nice 2012 Cayman R and call it a day. The steering feel alone is worth the trouble to find it over a 981 and its not going to really depreciate on you.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:35 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jasonturbo
Without question I would replace an NSX w/ a Cayman, I used to have a 1997 NSX and a 981 GT4 at the same time, I completely stopped driving the NSX after taking delivery of the Cayman.

Other than the looks, nostalgia, and "JDM fanboy" appeal the NSX had very little to offer, never mind the cost and availability of replacement parts.
Originally Posted by daylorb
I'll play the contrarian point of view - if you are into collecting things, then hard to argue - keep the NSX. If you are into using things, and don't get excited about collecting, then get the 981. Performance-wise/drive-wise I don't think the older NSX is a match for the 981.

As much as I think the NSX would be a keeper for someone with 8 garage bays, for someone who just likes to drive it may not be.

you see...every time I think I'm doing the right thing by keeping the NSX, there is the devil on my shoulder making some sense

Old 05-01-2019, 03:45 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andy7777
Find a nice 2012 Cayman R and call it a day. The steering feel alone is worth the trouble to find it over a 981 and its not going to really depreciate on you.
love the R, but I'm shallow Hal and looks are important to me.... I know looks are subjective but I think the 981 is the best looking Cayman out there right now.... although I think the R is a good investment

think I'd rather get a 981 GTS for the price of what the 987 R's are going for right now.....and if I had the coin the GT4 would be my ultimate keeper Cayman
Old 05-01-2019, 05:11 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 152 Posts

^^ Look for a GTS with the GTS interior package and PCCB. I can't stand the 981 with 20" wheels and those tiny steel brake discs, which was just another Porsche attempt to keep it well behind the 991 base.

I have a very well equipped GT4 w/PCCB and LWBs ($117k MSRP) and wish I could turn back time and still have my 6-speed manual Cayman R w/PCCB and LWBs ($90k MSRP). The R was more fun to drive and the throttle response more immediate...just a better balanced package. Most Rs are pretty sparse in options. Mine wasn't. It was loaded. Never once felt old or outdated.

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling my NSX for 981 ???