Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   981 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/981-forum-264/)
-   -   Thinking of selling my NSX for 981 ??? (https://rennlist.com/forums/981-forum/1140983-thinking-of-selling-my-nsx-for-981-a.html)

SoCal-NSX 05-01-2019 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by MrMoose (Post 15810285)
Man, the 981 is a great car, but you'd be nuts to do this. The NSX is an icon.

If you want a 981 wait five years: you'll have your pick for chump change. I don't even want to think about where NSX prices will be in five years...

So true and this is why I still have it....and will probably be buried in the thing when I die.:p

Maybe it's time to dip into that HELOC :icon107:

maybe i be I can find someone who wants to trade for the month ??? ;)

SoCal-NSX 05-01-2019 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Noah Fect (Post 15810296)
Disagree. What market forces are going to lead one of these cars to appreciate further, while the other depreciates to "chump change?"

The reason the NSX is appreciating is that nothing like it will ever be made again. Exactly the same is true of the 981, at least as far as everyday non-GT sports cars are concerned.

though I agree that the 981 won't depreciate terribly and may some day be sought after in the collector market for low miiage mint examples....what makes the NSX appreciate is the rarity of them(low production numbers) the icon status it has received in the auto world, Aryton Senna name attached to it and the new one that came out at $200k certainly helped its recent jump in value. It was the original super car that you could actually daily drive. There was nothing more reliable than a hand built Honda.... it's the reason Ferrari and Lambo make such more reliable cars these days...it set a new standard.

I still want that 981 though.... it is like a modern day original NSX in many ways

Ale_72 05-01-2019 12:47 AM

If I could have found a NSX-T with manual transmission not tuned or poorly maintained I would have surely bought it, even if this would have meant selling mine 987 spyder. So I am with the ones who say: “do not sell it”.

JAhmed 05-01-2019 12:51 AM

I love my 981, and definitely recommend you buy one...once you figure out how to keep BOTH

MrMoose 05-01-2019 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Noah Fect (Post 15810296)
Disagree. What market forces are going to lead one of these cars to appreciate further, while the other depreciates to "chump change?"

I mean, they're already doing it. NSX prices are very much on the rise, and 981s are depreciating. Heck, look at how cheaply you can buy a 987 right now: the 981 is next. "Chump change" is relative, but 981s ain't going up in price over the next few years, that's for sure.

Porsche made a ton of 981s and has been continuously making Caymans ever since. Yeah, 4-cylinder vs. 6-cylinder, whatever: most people don't know and don't care, the 718 is faster, and you can buy a brand new one. And let's face it, the Cayman is the entry level Porsche. Meanwhile the original NSX was very limited production and was an iconic halo car. It was Honda proving they could make a supercar with great driving performance and reliability at the same time, and it was so good it scared Ferrari into getting their crap together.

It's comparing bananas and kumquats.

MrMoose 05-01-2019 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by JAhmed (Post 15810340)
I love my 981, and definitely recommend you buy one...once you figure out how to keep BOTH

This guy gets it. Never sell a car!

Stram toni 05-01-2019 02:30 AM

Once you make the switch, you are going to feel real good for a while, a short while. Once the remorse sets in, your guts will hurt. I know, I did it and for an equally good car to the 981. They would have to pry my NA2 out of my cold dead hands.....

bradthe 05-01-2019 02:40 AM

KEEP THE NSX! I HAD ONE AND SOLD IT TO MOVE INTO A 993 BACK IN THE DAY. LOVED THE 993, AND WOULD PROBABLY TAKE IT OVER AN NSX AGAIN. WOULD I TAKE A CAYMAN OVER AN NSX? NO WAY! EX...CLU...SIVITY!!!
WAIT FOR THE CAYMAN TO BOTTOM OUT, WHILE YOURS APPRECIATES AND PAY OFF ONE OF YOUR DAILY CARS! THEN YOU WILL BE FREE TO MOVE ABOUT THE CAYMAN COUNTRY...... YOU WON'T EVER HAVE TO DO WHAT I DO EVERY TIME I SEE A BLACK/BLACK NSX.... THAT FEELING OF REGRET NEVER LEAVES.

SoCal-NSX 05-01-2019 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by JAhmed (Post 15810340)

yeah.....that's the plan

as much as I want one and want it now, I just can't sale the NSX to do it.....but damn it is tempting after driving one

ToasterThief 05-01-2019 06:26 AM

I had a 981 and sold it for a 987 Spyder. Don't sell the NSX. I'm not sure what you mean by "modern technology," but hopefully it's not stuff like infotainment/etc. The 981 was outdated on that front when new: Now it's just hopelessly behind, and it doesn't really matter when driving it. Keep the NSX.

manifold danger 05-01-2019 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by ToasterThief (Post 15810552)
I had a 981 and sold it for a 987 Spyder. Don't sell the NSX. I'm not sure what you mean by "modern technology," but hopefully it's not stuff like infotainment/etc. The 981 was outdated on that front when new: Now it's just hopelessly behind, and it doesn't really matter when driving it. Keep the NSX.

How is the 981 behind? Maybe by today's standards but that's what the 718 is for. I think you're talking about the 987, which has an interior from the late 80s and barely functioning bluetooth. 981 has all the bells and whistles you could ask for except for backup camera, which supposedly was an option but was as rare as a two-headed snake when I was in the market (but comes standard on the 718). Blind spot detectors would have been nice, but that's stretching it. The middle-option Bose stereo is even a notch above decent. I'm definitely not getting the "hopelessly behind", help me out.

Anyway, back to the OP, I think there is some bias here because we're all car guys- the NSX is an icon but I think someone said it best in that it's approaching "garage queen" status where if you want to keep its value up, you won't be driving it. Buying a later model 981 will relieve some of that back-of-mind tension that you're burning through cash every time you turn the ignition on the NSX. The only time I have any reservations at all with driving my car is when I think it's going to rain, and I think that's only because I have a Boxster and prefer driving with the top down (and I have a Macan that is actually really fun to drive). Don't think I'd care about rain if I had a Cayman.

In a perfect world you'll find a way to keep the NSX, because it is an icon and you won't be able to easily replace it down the line. But I totally get the obsession (going through it myself right now, just with a watch I'm trying to convince myself not to buy).

Good luck!

Ale_72 05-01-2019 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by manifold danger (Post 15810628)
981 has all the bells and whistles you could ask for

Even the techie features of the 981 will look like Stone Age in the next 5 years. It happens to all electronic stuff.

Noah Fect 05-01-2019 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ale_72 (Post 15810638)
Even the techie features of the 981 will look like Stone Age in the next 5 years. It happens to all electronic stuff.

Such as?

Worst case, you have to spend a few hundred bucks on an aftermarket CarPlay rig.

Pro tip: nobody buys Porsches because they want to follow the latest miindless trends.

ToasterThief 05-01-2019 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by manifold danger (Post 15810628)
How is the 981 behind? Maybe by today's standards but that's what the 718 is for. I think you're talking about the 987, which has an interior from the late 80s and barely functioning bluetooth. 981 has all the bells and whistles you could ask for except for backup camera, which supposedly was an option but was as rare as a two-headed snake when I was in the market (but comes standard on the 718). Blind spot detectors would have been nice, but that's stretching it. The middle-option Bose stereo is even a notch above decent. I'm definitely not getting the "hopelessly behind", help me out.
Good luck!

The 981 came out back in 2012 with the 2013 Boxster. Bluetooth was great then, but now, in 2019, in order for me to consider a car has a "modern" system, it has to have something like Carplay. The fact that my wife's Macan has it, which we purchased in 2016, and a GT4, which was being delivered in to 2017, couldn't get it, is kind of silly. At the end of the day, when I compare my "new" 987 Spyder to my "old" 981CS, what practical differences in the stereo/electronics are there? At the end of the day, both let me listen to music from my phone. Both have outdated navigation systems that I never use, and both have me using jerry-rigging my phone for directions. I guess the screen on the 981 was nicer, but practically speaking, who cares? What real, practical differences are there?

Stram toni 05-01-2019 10:51 AM

Garage queens? http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...-update/page28