Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

981 Windshield goo...

Old 04-30-2019, 02:10 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 138 Posts
Default 981 Windshield goo...

I was just curious how many of you have the melting windshield sealing and instead of replacing it you just live with it. I have it on my 2014 boxster and while it is not great, I just live with it and don't think it needs to be replaced. Once in a while I take a thin plastic card, some windex and some cleaning tissue and clean it and make it look decent. Again, it does not look super great, but it is also not catastrophic once you "touch it up". My car is out of warranty and don't want to spend another 1000 just because of that. I know this problem is somehow common and wanted to see how my other fellows deal with that.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:23 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by john981
I was just curious how many of you have the melting windshield sealing and instead of replacing it you just live with it. I have it on my 2014 boxster and while it is not great, I just live with it and don't think it needs to be replaced. Once in a while I take a thin plastic card, some windex and some cleaning tissue and clean it and make it look decent. Again, it does not look super great, but it is also not catastrophic once you "touch it up". My car is out of warranty and don't want to spend another 1000 just because of that. I know this problem is somehow common and wanted to see how my other fellows deal with that.
I lived with it for a while until I realized it was only getting worse and therefore harder to keep up with. Since my car was within warranty, PCNA replaced it with factory replacement glass and all is well. You might inquire about some post-warranty goodwill because it's a known issue that is documented in a bulletin somewhere. PCNA knows the sealant was subpar and they would probably help you out to some degree.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:54 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Got a pic of what this looks like?
Old 04-30-2019, 03:00 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Old 04-30-2019, 04:02 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

This is mine after cleaning and touch up. Mine was never as bad as the picture in the last post. I had the car with one of the dealerships and they told me that they have never seen something like that and there is nothing they can do. Great Idea to call Porsche North America, I will just try it and see what they say.
The following users liked this post:
Joys4me (07-07-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 04:47 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Find the bulletin before you call. I'll look for it, too. I know I have it.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:02 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

My Boxster GTS has the same thing. Now I know what it is!
Old 04-30-2019, 05:06 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Find the bulletin before you call. I'll look for it, too. I know I have it.
That would be great when you could help me with that, really appreciate it. I thought I saw something somewhere but it was for the later models and didn't include the 981. I will look it up again. Thanks again for your help.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:08 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

This is informational even if not directly applicable to the 981. I have a feeling what happened to my car is the same failure as referenced in this recall.

https://www.recallmasters.com/porsch...hield-bonding/
Old 04-30-2019, 05:41 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
This is informational even if not directly applicable to the 981. I have a feeling what happened to my car is the same failure as referenced in this recall.

https://www.recallmasters.com/porsch...hield-bonding/
thank you, really appreciate it, will see what they say. It is actually ridicules that for they have had this issues for so many years and reacted that late. They had these issues not only with "chip" cars like mine. We saw they had it with your more expensive spyder and even with some 200k gt cars. Anyway. PCNA has been always very polite and helpful so hope that they can help me out here somehow. will keep you posted.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:44 PM
david968s
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

thank you, really appreciate it, will see what they say. It is actually ridicules that for they have had this issues for so many years and reacted that late. They had these issues not only with "chip" cars like mine. We saw they had it with your more expensive spyder and even with some 200k gt cars. Anyway. PCNA has been always very polite and helpful so hope that they can help me out here somehow. will keep you posted.
I see this on my new Spyder and I thought maybe there had been a replacement windscreen done at some time and it was a poor job. Now I know! Will be interested to see how you get on with Porsche - will try and get mine sorted under warranty too...
Old 04-30-2019, 11:46 PM
Krampus
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My detailer noticed this on my car while he was doing a paint correction and clear bra install. Said that I should take it back to the dealer as there was suppose to be a recall on the issue. Sure enough he was right. I had to leave the car with them a couple days after they got in the replacement windshield and seal installed. Now it looks like brand new. Was glad he was aware of the issue and informed me to let the dealer know. Mine was so bad that it disintegrated and rubbed off on anything that it came in contact with.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:35 AM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I was wondering about this! Need to take my Spyder in as it's having the same problem ('16 CPO). I need to do my annual service in July, I might just live with it until then. It's not super bad or anything... not anywhere near the pictures.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:46 AM
GoCards67
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 82 Posts

I had it too on my 981. The seal was oozing daily even after trying to neutralize whatever reaction was causing it to melt. The dealer was hesitant about replacing it under warranty, but then i got "lucky" and had a good size rock thrown from an MDX crack the windshield. It was replaced by insurance at no cost (varies by state). The replacement seal has no issues after 5 months.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:51 PM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I remember going through the Porsche factory a few years ago. They were bragging that the assembly line only used one robot. The one that applied glue to the windshield - it then applied the ws to the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 981 Windshield goo...