Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base or S model, is the price difference worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 07:22 PM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
Btw, its called the 718 , but he was referring to both the 981 and the 718 as far as spending $2k on a tune rather then $10k for the S model for the extra HP
Thanks for the correction. 9"8"6. 9"8"7. My brain got fixated on middle 8's! Back to the end of the line, you 8!
Old 05-01-2019, 09:28 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

my salesman was a former SCCA instructor and he himself just ordered a base model 718 Cayman.... he told me the S just wasn't worth the extra $10k and that he could throw a $2000 tune on it and get very close to the power of the S and keep $8k in his pocket....
Your salesman either can't afford the S or has you targeted at that price level. "Just not worth it … yes I want to go slower" LOL Tell him to throw that same 2K tune on an S and compare again. It's more than the motor, bigger brakes, bigger standard wheels, normally better optioned, better resale on the end, not having to worry if you should have gotten the S, etc.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:38 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 879 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ferguson
Your salesman either can't afford the S or has you targeted at that price level. "Just not worth it … yes I want to go slower" LOL Tell him to throw that same 2K tune on an S and compare again. It's more than the motor, bigger brakes, bigger standard wheels, normally better optioned, better resale on the end, not having to worry if you should have gotten the S, etc.
yeah I considered that... but it does make some sense if you want the power without the $10-11k premium that the S carries. I even asked him how that effects the warranty and he told me that you can easily uninstall if needed he even recommended the one to get but I forgot which one he mentioned

I myself would probably just look for a good deal on the S model, but I was impressed by the base model I test drove... fun car past 5k rpm
Old 05-02-2019, 11:38 AM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

As always, if you can afford an "S" buy an "S", you won't be disappointed.

The question posed is still one you'll have to grapple with and decide. The base cars are very capable and are a ton of fun at their respective price point.

Now let's hear what you decide on..!
Old 05-02-2019, 12:30 PM
profire
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I have been looking around my local area and the ones for sale here are a bit on the high side. I have found one in Cali that we really like, it has everything we want and is a one owner with a very good service record. All service was done at a Porsche dealer. Any thoughts on buying one from Cali?
Old 05-02-2019, 12:42 PM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by profire
So I have been looking around my local area and the ones for sale here are a bit on the high side. I have found one in Cali that we really like, it has everything we want and is a one owner with a very good service record. All service was done at a Porsche dealer. Any thoughts on buying one from Cali?
? What do you mean? Same as buying out of state for any other state. And w/o salt on the roads there's very little concern regarding corrosion.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:48 PM
profire
Intermediate

Originally Posted by professsorz
? What do you mean? Same as buying out of state for any other state. And w/o salt on the roads there's very little concern regarding corrosion.
That's what I thought. Just wondered if there were any title issues. I have heard the state is terribly slow with getting titles out.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:00 PM
la02max
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by professsorz
With one crucial difference... California does not issue any temporary registration for out of state buyers like other states do. What this means is that the tires can't touch the road after purchase unless you're able to register the vehicle in your state sight unseen.

My dad purchased a vehicle in Cali to be registered in Nevada and had to have the vehicle shipped. I purchased a vehicle in Washington state to be registered in Louisiana, and Washington gives a 3 day temporary registration so you can drive the vehicle after buying it. Though, in my case, that wasn't an issue because I was able to register the car with it still in Washington (even got a license plate), but Nevada requires a vehicle inspection (VIN verification) prior to registration.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:02 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

That's what I thought. Just wondered if there were any title issues. I have heard the state is terribly slow with getting titles out.
yes, takes them years and cost you thousands !!!

stay away from any thing you see in Cali, especially 981's in SoCal.....I've got my eye on a few around here

but seriously, Cali cars are usually sought after due to our weather and roads
Old 05-02-2019, 01:05 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by la02max
With one crucial difference... California does not issue any temporary registration like other states do. What this means is that the tires can't touch the road after purchase unless you're able to register the vehicle in your state sight unseen.

My dad purchased a vehicle in Cali to be registered in Nevada and had to have the vehicle shipped. I purchased a vehicle in Washington state to be registered in Louisiana, and Washington gives a 3 day temporary registration so you can drive the vehicle after buying it. Though, in my case, that wasn't an issue because I was able to register the car with it still in Washington (even got a license plate), but Nevada requires a vehicle inspection (VIN verification) prior to registration.
never heard of that...bought many many cars in this state and always have had a temp registration. It's the taxes that kill ya
Old 05-02-2019, 01:06 PM
la02max
Intermediate

never heard of that...bought many many cars in this state and always have had a temp registration. It's the taxes that kill ya
For in state buyers, that's true, because you're paying California registration fees and taxes. Out of state, that isn't the case.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:18 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

You may want to ask a local Rennlister to put some eyes on the car. Doesn’t hurt to ask and the info to be gained could be quite helpful. Lotta great folks here who would gladly go by and take a peek at a local car. Just a thought.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:01 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by la02max
For in state buyers, that's true, because you're paying California registration fees and taxes. Out of state, that isn't the case.
How long ago was this? Still just doesn't make any sense at all as most states make you bring in the vehicle for inspection to register it. The dealership issues a temp registration for you to have the time to register it. This would be a major headache and legal issue if California dealerships and private citizens were handcuffed to only selling to California residents.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:35 PM
la02max
Intermediate

How long ago was this? Still just doesn't make any sense at all as most states make you bring in the vehicle for inspection to register it. The dealership issues a temp registration for you to have the time to register it. This would be a major headache and legal issue if California dealerships and private citizens were handcuffed to only selling to California residents.
Completely agree, it was a pain in the ***... this was about a month and a half ago on a used Raptor at a Ford dealer in Pasadena. If I had to have my vehicle inspected before registering it, I would have only had 3 days to get it back to Louisiana before the temp registration from Washington expired. My dad was given no temp tag in California. The only way he could have gotten a temp tag would be to pay the Cali sales tax/registration fees, then turn around and re-pay it in Nevada. Nevada would have given a credit based on the taxes paid in Cali, but the Cali taxes were higher.

That's Cali for you
Old 05-02-2019, 02:55 PM
profire
Intermediate

yes, takes them years and cost you thousands !!!

stay away from any thing you see in Cali, especially 981's in SoCal.....I've got my eye on a few around here

but seriously, Cali cars are usually sought after due to our weather and roads
Stay off my turf man!
Well I missed out on the one I was looking at. It sold last night. The dealer made mention of a temporary tag when I said I would want to fly out there and drive it back home. Sounds like that might be an option in Cali.

Quick Reply: Base or S model, is the price difference worth it?