Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base or S model, is the price difference worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 02:21 AM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I had the 2,7 liter 981 Base C. Fantastic motor. And get it up in the range...wow. The S will help if you ever sell it. Resale value and all. If you want a Porsche to put miles on and save a bit of $$$...Base all the way. I'd buy a Base all over again in a heartbeat.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:32 AM
bvanlieu
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For a street car, no one needs the S: they want it. Its OK to say that, everyone can have their preferences, some like the extra torque others are incapable of shifting above 5K.

We love our 15 GTS but also miss our 987.1 base too. The base is more engaging at times for those flogging it to redline. The S easy to drive being lazy and not downshifting quite as much out of turns.

There is no wrong answer here IMHO.

- b
Old 04-29-2019, 09:02 AM
BobRx
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
S is always worth the price difference, especially used where you do not pay the original premium. You automatically get a bigger more powerful 3.4 liter motor and larger more powerful brakes with red calipers. Usually with an S you get more options as dealers typically kept base models very basic for the ones they spec'd. In the 987.1 the S is typically the difference between 5 and 6 speeds, although you can get a 6 speed 987 base with sport chrono. Those are very hard to find. Some of the best used Porsches are 2008 Boxsters. Look for the orange limited edition base or S. The 2008 RS60 Spyder is a true gem and the first Boxster over 300 hp. An S with sport chrono, Bose, sat nav, and power memory seats are usually good starts. Even better if it has Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE). Base models with those options are hard to come by. With the 981 you do get some feature upgrades, a bit more modern car, and PDK is much quicker than in the 987.2.
If you'd like to join the 2008 Boxster S team as suggested (Love my RS60!) here is a listing for a cherry "Halloween colors" limited edition- https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/d...mited-edition/
Old 04-29-2019, 10:03 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRx
If you'd like to join the 2008 Boxster S team as suggested (Love my RS60!) here is a listing for a cherry "Halloween colors" limited edition- https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/d...mited-edition/
Beautiful. You'll just need to fix the top on the driver's side. Not sure why people ignore that issue.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:16 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by profire
Thanks everyone for the replies. I have a few to go test drive. I think fgv1it has the right approach.
I agree any Boxster is a joy to drive, but certain ones dramatically increase the experience. If you like GT Silver paint, check out 2008 RS60 Spyders (ideally with auto AC and Bose, and full red leather interior), Most Porsche for your money these days and they are holding their value quite well. It's basically a very well equipped S with a quite a lot of add-ons from the parts bin and some unique bits only to it (billet/leather gear shift **** and unique exhaust tips). Cost upwards of $70k new, which was quite a lot in 2008. It's the one Porsche I was stupid to trade away, but a mint 2011 Spyder came along.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:31 AM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Test drive both and decide if the base is enough for you. The problem is a year or two later. Most of us always want more power. At least the S you already have more power and It has more goodies to handle that power.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:38 AM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more input. Don’t make the same mistake I made buying my first Porsche. When I was finally able to buy a Porsche I loved the 944’s. When I finally went to test drive the first car I driove was a modified 944 turbo. After driving that car and drove a base 944 there was no turning back. I wasn’t able to enjoy the base 944 for what it was. I had to get the turbo.

Drive the base first and see if you like the car for what it is then cmopare it with the S.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:34 PM
Kayman
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

It really depends on what you are driving now. Base is quick, but the S is quicker. But, if you really are not going to drive fast, what is the point? Test drive them as much as you can - go to different dealerships and test drive more than one car of each model. You can rent one from Turo or some other rental service and try it out for a whole day.

Your budget would dictate if the upgrade is worth it for you. If money is no matter, buy the S.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:16 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Now that you posed the question, please let us know the result of your driving impressions.

Love my 987.1 base as well. Plenty of motor for street driving or back road cruises.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:24 PM
profire
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, thanks for all the replies everyone. Not every forum has this much engagement with a new guy!

So I went and drove a 2013 base with the PDK transmission and I liked it. The feel of the car was great and the sound was incredible when you rev through the gears. This car was a lease return and was as new, it only had 1,536 miles on it. I have a few others to drive, not going to get in a hurry, I know the right one will be out there. Thanks again for all the input.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:41 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Edit: Oops. Wrong thread.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:06 PM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cas951
One more input. Don’t make the same mistake I made buying my first Porsche. When I was finally able to buy a Porsche I loved the 944’s. When I finally went to test drive the first car I driove was a modified 944 turbo. After driving that car and drove a base 944 there was no turning back. I wasn’t able to enjoy the base 944 for what it was. I had to get the turbo.

Drive the base first and see if you like the car for what it is then cmopare it with the S.
I agree with cas. I bought a new 2000 base Boxster in 2000; I didn't want to wait 6 months for the newly available S, or pay the extra money. The 2K felt very peppy over the older 1999, and I wasn't used to cars in the 400hp range. Well now I am used to 400hp cars, and the 981 base models that I tried were lacking, so I narrowed my search to the 981S. It doesn't snap my neck, but is still quick AND fast. (Those are different qualities.)

Last edited by vracer; 04-29-2019 at 04:06 PM. Reason: added PS
Old 04-29-2019, 08:36 PM
Moman
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 981S with SC and PDK will snap your neck back every time on sport+ mode.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:47 PM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Agree with MidEngineRules. Just got my RS 60 last Wednesday and celebrated the fact with a multi-hundred mile jaunt through Napa, the Redwoods and the coast of CA. Just amazing fun. The car garnered a surprising number of unsolicited positive comments. It really is striking.

As for your question. I completely enjoyed wringing out the base Boxsters and Caymans I've driven. But I knew, having grown used to the snap of my M235i, that I'd be unhappy if I didn't have something comparable in power. The way to avoid the issue is simply to not try the S versions. Or buy a 781, for which the base is faster than the older S's!
Old 04-30-2019, 10:28 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by profire
Wow, thanks for all the replies everyone. Not every forum has this much engagement with a new guy!

So I went and drove a 2013 base with the PDK transmission and I liked it. The feel of the car was great and the sound was incredible when you rev through the gears. This car was a lease return and was as new, it only had 1,536 miles on it. I have a few others to drive, not going to get in a hurry, I know the right one will be out there. Thanks again for all the input.
If you want PDK, then a 981 is your best bet. PDK in the 987.2 is painfully slow shifting comparatively.

Quick Reply: Base or S model, is the price difference worth it?