Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jackstand points

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 09:51 PM
Thacker
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Jackstand points

I want to jack up my ‘14 981CS in order to inspect and clean the wheels and properly torque the lug screws. I have jack pads for the car, but the question that comes to mind is that when the car is lifted via the lift points, where do I place jackstands?
Old 04-26-2019, 10:20 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Here’s a few options for you.

http://liftbars.com/

http://www.jackpointjackstands.com/how-it-works.html

Old 04-27-2019, 12:53 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm no expert on this, but don't you want to torque them on the ground? I always thought it was tighten in air, torque on ground.

And I love the liftbars - that's how I do it.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:07 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

You want to torque on the ground. Drive the car a short distance and torque again.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:39 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Porsche really didn't accommodate jack + jack stand and this makes it difficult to jack the car and then have a place for the stands. I now use the QuickJack Lift but that is not an option for everyone.

Fabspeed makes a "JackPoint" that bolts to the pan under the engine. You could also place a block of wood there and then jack the car and place the jack stands under the jack points; this only deals with the rear of the car though. Once the rear is on stands, you can jack one side of the front and the opposite wide will also raise off the ground enough to get a jack stand under one side of the front. I usually use the jack as the 4th stand (although that is not the preferred and most safe method). With the car on 3 stands, the 4th side will not drop to the ground, even without anything supporting it.

Attached is a photo of the FabSpeed Jack point installed:
Old 04-27-2019, 09:57 PM
Thacker
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Thank you for the information. I know to torque the lug screws when the car is on the ground. I was looking for a point to jack the car other than the lift points detailed in the owners manual. Those lift bars are interesting, who makes them? The Fabspeed part appears to be the cheapest solution for me, but what about the front of the car? Is there a safe place to lift it other than the lift points?
Old 04-27-2019, 10:52 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thacker
Thank you for the information. I know to torque the lug screws when the car is on the ground. I was looking for a point to jack the car other than the lift points detailed in the owners manual. Those lift bars are interesting, who makes them? The Fabspeed part appears to be the cheapest solution for me, but what about the front of the car? Is there a safe place to lift it other than the lift points?
Not sure who makes liftbars, but they are super-stout, work perfectly, and are a bargain.

As for getting it up on jack stands with just a floor jack - I think the technique is to jack up the rear using the jack point high enough to put a stand under the front, then doing the reverse. See here: https://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-...ck-stands.html
Old 04-28-2019, 01:55 PM
Kayaknfly
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

liftbars.com
Have a pair and by far the best money I’ve spent. Make it so easy.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:21 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

The only issue with liftbars on a 987.2 Spyder, they leave you with just under 3" space to the ground. Meaning you have to have just about the lowest profile jack available. I use race ramps, lift the car slightly first.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:37 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

With the Fabspeed rear jack pad (which I have on my car), use the jack pad on each rear side to lift and place a jack stand under the front jack points. Then use the central Fabspeed jack point to lift the rear of the car and install jack stands under those two jack points.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:31 AM
Jaycote
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

i ran into the same issue when replacing my front suspension. In the 101 projects for your 911 book, produced by Pelican Parts, they show an option that worked for me. I used to jacks....the first one i would use in the normal spot, to lift the car slightly. Then, i took the second jack and placed it in the front of the car, and jacked it right where the suspension is. I can't explain the exact location, but the book showed that it is a fortified spot that is strong enough to lift the car. I would lift it all the way using that spot, and remove the first jack and place jackstands where the first jack was.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:11 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by venom51
You want to torque on the ground. Drive the car a short distance and torque again.
Make sure your brakes are cold before re-torquing.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:27 AM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Liftbars as well.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:20 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Singing praises of LiftBars here too. Got my set... can now honestly state that getting the car up on stands is no longer the life (and car) threatening experience it once was. Very pleased to have found a good alternative to the "where else can I lift the car / place a stand" shuffles of my past. Factory lift points, up and done. Sweet.

Used them last night to put car up in the air, change oil and filter, change rotors all around, new pads / sensors, caliper bolts, etc. Totally safe. Totally easy.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:32 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 630 Posts

Quickjacks or nothing

Quick Reply: Jackstand points