Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 to Boxster GTS: disappointment looming?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 03:14 AM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts
Default GT4 to Boxster GTS: disappointment looming?

We have a very nice GT4, which I may put up for sale soon. I had it up awhile ago but wasn't seriously trying to sell it. My wife mostly drives it, but she wants to get into AutoX...and...have something with the top down.

Originally, I said "981 Spyder! with buckets" but those are still pretty pricey, and I wouldn't mind doing the fiscally responsible thing and going the Boxster GTS route (manual, 18-ways, X73). They can be had for $60k private party all day long now.

Here is the question: is this a "major" downgrade, or will it still be very fun as a daily driver and AutoX car? We are going to throw a tune and headers on the car, so I expect it to make around 365hp, which isn't far off the 385 in the GT4. The GT4 has much tighter suspension and a different gearbox, of course, so the engine really isn't that significant. Our 997 turbo is much much faster. I just don't want to lose the driving dynamics that make the GT4 so special: I hope the GTS is 85-90% of that car while saving me 25 grand.

Anyone got an opinion on this?

Yes, the Spyder is the best of both worlds, but it also forces me into getting rid of the Turbo, and we also lose the capacity to daily drive it, as the kids can't ride the bus until our house is completed next year.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:49 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

You may well find you have more fun in the GTS as the limits are marginally lower on stock tires. Also it sound like you are not driving to the limits any way. From a personal perspective the 981 GTS is one of my favourite Porsche sports cars as it is very much a do everything sports car. Looks great too
Old 04-26-2019, 08:09 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

I haven't driven a GT4 but I own a Boxster GTS and can't imagine anyone ever being disappointed in this car. Whatever you lose in driving dynamics has to be more than made up for with what you get by putting the top down. This engine deserves to be heard in all its glory. I've had it for about 18 months now and the novelty has not worn off a bit. My wife is only casually into cars and she steals it from me all the damn time.

Also for what it's worth regarding the Spyder- I'm actually considering upgrading to a Spyder... either a 718 or a 981, depending on details regarding the 718 that nobody knows yet. Thing is, every time I drive my car I find myself using the power retractable top, which I wouldn't be able to do in a Spyder. I've heard many Spyder owners claim they don't mind the manual top, but I think that now that I'm used to it, it's something I would deeply miss.

Anyway, the GTS might be an even better overall fit for what you're using it for than your GT4. I've had my car out to a couple PCA autocrosses, and I think it's great. I'm not at all experienced, I've got less than 5 total events lifetime under my belt... but I generally place around 4th-7th in my group (of 24) against all other P cars. For reference mine is manual, has X73 but no PTV, and last season I was running on Kumho Ecstas (that I didn't choose). This year with more experience and Michelin P4S's I'll probably do a little better. Regardless, it's wonderfully capable, easy to drive fast, and makes me better than I actually am.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:48 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Kg11
...and going the Boxster GTS route (manual, 18-ways, X73).
This is exactly what I have, and I autocross and track it. Can't imagine you being disappointed with the top down in a Boxster GTS. Of course I fully realize a GT4 and a Boxster GTS are worlds apart.

I'll put it to you this way; one of the guys I autocross with is a national-level SCCA autocross podium finisher year after year. Everyone in our region wants him to drive their car to see what it can really do. At test and tunes and non-points events he'll often hop in someone's car and do a run. But the only car he's co-driven for full events the last two years is my 981 Boxster GTS. He says the same thing every event: There is no reason this car on these tires should be that fast.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:53 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I've had it for about 18 months now and the novelty has not worn off a bit.
Trying to remember, are you the one that got the white one from Gossett the same time I got mine?
Old 04-26-2019, 11:03 AM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Own a 981 BGTS that I ordered, have installed Fabspeed race headers and protune. Have driven GT4s, one as recently as last week. In my opinion, you will only be disappointed if you compare mid range torque, top end power is similar with my mods, and in all other aspects I prefer my BGTS. Since my car has PDK and PTV, it could even be faster. I also prefer PASM, but that's my choice. Have ridden motorcycles for almost 50 years, so for a fun car I choose top down motoring every day and twice on Sundays. Wouldn't trade my BGTS for a GT3 or GT4, but am going to trade it for a new Spyder as long as PDK is an option.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:10 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

I've heard many Spyder owners claim they don't mind the manual top, but I think that now that I'm used to it, it's something I would deeply miss.
I think most every Spyder owner would prefer a power top if it didn't come at the expense of the superior appearance of the soft top with the Bimini style straps, and the accompanying humps. And honestly, it's a one minute exercise that I don't mind at all.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:50 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Trying to remember, are you the one that got the white one from Gossett the same time I got mine?
Yep, that's me.

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
I think most every Spyder owner would prefer a power top if it didn't come at the expense of the superior appearance of the soft top with the Bimini style straps, and the accompanying humps. And honestly, it's a one minute exercise that I don't mind at all.
I agree- but you can't do it while driving. That's significant for me for a couple reasons; 1) this mid-atlantic climate where the truly "nice" days seasonally have a high chance for scattered thunderstorms as well, and 2) I have a pretty pale complexion and usually will put the top up on boring interstate crawls or just after I've been exposed to the sun for long enough I start to feel anxious. Thinking of stopping and dicking with the top has me thinking twice about it, that's all. Ultimately I don't think it's enough to deter me.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:20 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

OP, you won't be disappointed unless you're really hard core. The GTS is not going to turn in or grip like your GT4, but it's still plenty capable and the playfulness of the car will more than make up for the loss in performance.

And geez, can we stop all the whining about the Spyder top? It takes literally 60 seconds and about 25 calories to put it up and down.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:59 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Yep, that's me.
Awesome. Glad you are still enjoying it.

I'm at 53K miles now. Would be well over 60K had I not bought a 911 and spent all winter in it (all-season tires)

Will autocross it Sunday.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:05 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Sell:
GT4; 997 Turbo

Buy:
Carrera T w/rear axle steering (x-crosser's dream and capable people hauler); 987 Spyder (more fun than any 981 and you won't lose a dime owning it)
Old 04-26-2019, 02:09 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

For the money you would spend on the tune / headers for the GTS, and money you would lose in the transaction of selling the GT4.... you should keep the GT4 for the autocross car and buy a cream puff base 987 boxster to add to the fleet. if your wife wants to get into autocross, the GT4 is one of the best cars for the task.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:28 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Buy:
Carrera T w/rear axle steering (x-crosser's dream and capable people hauler); 987 Spyder (more fun than any 981 and you won't lose a dime owning it)
Good man.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:15 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
And geez, can we stop all the whining about the Spyder top? It takes literally 60 seconds and about 25 calories to put it up and down.
Thank you - completely agree. I'll add one more point to this... In the blazing heat here in Austin, TX I found in my last two verts I couldn't ride much with the top down from mid-June to mid-September, automatic top or not.

The Spyder is ideal for this - leaving the top up, back off, windows down - as a shade tool, not a car top - it is completely ideal.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:32 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

+987.2^. The top is absolute genius, IMO, and you won’t find it on any other car. All of the top down benefits without the beating from the wind and sunburn.

Quick Reply: GT4 to Boxster GTS: disappointment looming?