Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 to Boxster GTS: disappointment looming?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 06:49 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Haha! Never knew this was a "thing". But it reminded me of a few additions to the list:
- Polluting diesel bus / smelly garbage truck / other objectionable conveyance pulls up next to you in stop-and-go traffic
- Annoying dude with loud stereo and lack of taste does the same thing
- Because this is a solved problem and Porsche "un-solved" it for no good reason. The engineers giveth, and the marketing guys taketh away, and the customers chug down the Kool-Aid like a dog lapping up antifreeze.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:29 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by daylorb
Spyder top = the 6MT of the convertible tops. Sort of similar arguments to PDK (although I love PDK). Why have a much heavy device (insert PDK) on top of (inside) the car that does not look as good, is more expensive to maintain, and isolates the driving experience more, just so you can push a button and not have to do any work?
Sorry but I don't buy your argument. It's like saying that the hand crank was part of the driving experience. I appreciate the motors for starting engines and opening and closing convertible tops.Neither has anything to do with my driving experience. Granted the Spyder is a beautiful car but it's not because of the top.

I had an RS60, and an e46 vert. I loved the power tops don't get me wrong. In fact I did the mods on both cars to make the power top even easier/faster than stock. I simply found when I switched to the Spyder it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, and found the pros to outweigh the cons
Couldn't agree more with your analysis. Each buyer has to assess the Spyder's pros and cons and make their decision.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:35 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Is there a detailed correct breakdown of all weight saved between a 987 Spyder and Boxster?
Not that I know of and I sure wish there was. I think I've posted this before, but below is what I’ve compiled over time from both Porsche press releases and car magazine reviews on the weight-savings features of the 987 Spyder:

987 Spyder – 2,811 lbs.

987 Spyder – power/weight ratio = 8.77 lbs./bhp

987 Spyder – 176 lbs. lighter than 987 Boxster S

987 Spyder – sport seats save 26 lbs.

987 Spyder – aluminum doors save 33 lbs. over 987 Boxster S

987 Spyder – aluminum rear deck lid saves 6.5 lbs.

987 Spyder – roof weighs 13 lbs. and is 46 lbs. lighter than electric top on 987 Boxsters

987 Spyder – no PASM results in a weight savings of ? (Note that on 981 Spyder no PASM results in a weight savings of 11 lbs. so weight savings on 987 may be comparable to this)

987 Spyder – removal of sound deading material results in a weight savings of ? (Note that on 981 Spyder removal of sound deadening material results in a weight savings of 11 lbs. so weight savings on 987 may be comparable to this)

987 Spyder – AC delete results in a weight savings of 28.7 lbs.

987 Spyder – radio delete saves 13.2 lbs. (w/lighter battery?)

987 Spyder – the tank shrinks from 16.9 to 14.3 gallons resulting in a 15.4 lb. savings

987 Spyder – 19” wheels weigh 86 lbs. total (21.5 lbs. each) and saves 11 lbs.

Here's an excerpt from one review for 987 Spyder that recaps some of those figures cited above from other sources:

• 46.3 Lbs: Manual soft top and one-piece aluminum hatch. The Spyder ditches the girlie man power soft top for a lighter manual item and also replaces both the rear trunk lid and roof cover with one piece of swoopy aluminum.
  • 33.1 Lbs: Aluminum door skins - Steel is out, aluminum is in.
  • 2.2 Lbs: No map pockets, nylon loops in place of door handles.
  • 26.5 Lbs: Carbon framed seats.
  • 15.4 Lbs: The fuel tank shrinks from 16.9 gallons to 14.3.
  • 28.7 Lbs: No A/C.
  • 13.2 Lbs: No radio, lighter battery.
  • 11.0 Lbs: Lighter wheels. At 19 inches, these are larger, yet lighter, meaning they're more expensive.
  • 0 Lbs: No cupholders, no clear plastic cover over the instruments. Meaningless subtractions help present the illusion of weight loss.

Originally Posted by hf1
I wonder if the stated 24lb roof savings reflect what appears to be a more substantial Spyder rear trunk, humps and all, aluminium notwithstanding? What's the weight comparison between the two rear trunks?
To be clear, the 24lbs weight savings I cited referred to the 981 Spyder's roof. On the 987, the roof saves an even more substantial 46 lbs.

With respect to how much weight is shed by use of the 987 Spyder's rear deck lid, it's 6.5 lbs as indicated above.

Originally Posted by hf1
I hope it was clear that I was joking/jesting when I used "masochists". I love the Spyder concept and could eventually end up getting one, so the joke may end up being on me.
All good-natured ribbing when it comes to the manual vs. auto-top debate! Whatever tickles your pickle. No right or wrong. To each their own.

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
The engineers giveth, and the marketing guys taketh away, and the customers chug down the Kool-Aid like a dog lapping up antifreeze.
Guilty as charged! LOL
Old 05-06-2019, 10:44 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
With respect to how much weight is shed by use of the 987 Spyder's rear deck lid, it's 6.5 lbs as indicated above.
Hard to believe that the Spyder rear deck lid is lighter than the Boxster's. Looks much longer, more substantial with those humps -- almost twice the size. I know it's aluminum but still...
Old 05-06-2019, 10:46 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

Some thoughts since the drop top seems to be the pivot of the thread....

The 987/981/718, etc isn't a "comfort" drop top. Even with the wind screen and windows up, there is still a lot of turbulence. I said in another thread that my version of explaining a 987 is a better engineered, mid engine version of the old British roadsters. It's a modern day driving experience that is meant to fully immerse your senses. Knowing this is key to making sure you appreciate it - for what it is. This isn't bad - but a perspective owner just needs to go in with eyes wide open. IMO - a couple light jackets, gloves and a scarf for a lady copilot are mandatory frunk staples.

The pinnacle of comfort drop tops from Porsche has to be the 991. The Chassis improvements are just insane over the 997 and the integrated windscreen is ridiculously effective. Cruising down the highway in any temp with the top down in a 991 is no big deal. Choose your combo of deflector and windows for as much or as little turbulence as you wish. If you need something more palatable for your SO then it may be worth considering as base 991's are coming down pretty good now in price.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:43 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Hard to believe that the Spyder rear deck lid is lighter than the Boxster's. Looks much longer, more substantial with those humps -- almost twice the size. I know it's aluminum but still...
This figure of 6.5 lbs. saved on the rear deck lid is taken directly from the attached November/December 2009 987 Spyder Porsche Press Release in Great Britain:

The most outstanding feature of a Porsche proudly bearing the name “Spyder” is light-footed
agility. This means minimum weight combined with maximum driving dynamics from the
engine. Precisely this is why the doors of the Boxster Spyder are made of aluminium, together
approximately 15 kg or 33 lb lighter than the conventional doors of the “regular” Boxster.
Two extra-light sports bucket seats reduce the weight of the car by another 12 kg or 26 lb,
while the strikingly designed single-piece rear lid likewise made of aluminium ensures a fur -
ther reduction in weight by 3 kg or 6.5 lb.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Boxster_Spyder_GB.pdf (302.5 KB, 51 views)
Old 05-07-2019, 07:56 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
Some thoughts since the drop top seems to be the pivot of the thread....

The 987/981/718, etc isn't a "comfort" drop top. Even with the wind screen and windows up, there is still a lot of turbulence. I said in another thread that my version of explaining a 987 is a better engineered, mid engine version of the old British roadsters. It's a modern day driving experience that is meant to fully immerse your senses. Knowing this is key to making sure you appreciate it - for what it is. This isn't bad - but a perspective owner just needs to go in with eyes wide open. IMO - a couple light jackets, gloves and a scarf for a lady copilot are mandatory frunk staples.

The pinnacle of comfort drop tops from Porsche has to be the 991. The Chassis improvements are just insane over the 997 and the integrated windscreen is ridiculously effective. Cruising down the highway in any temp with the top down in a 991 is no big deal. Choose your combo of deflector and windows for as much or as little turbulence as you wish. If you need something more palatable for your SO then it may be worth considering as base 991's are coming down pretty good now in price.
This is pretty interesting. I actually have never been a convertible guy, in fact I was pretty adamantly NON-convertible... between chassis compromises, track restrictions, and my sole convertible experience consisting of getting beat to **** by wind in the back seat of a 94 mustang, I just thought it wasn't for me. This lasted all the way up until my service adviser gifted me a Boxster as a loaner while my Macan was in for service. What actually "converted" me (couldn't resist the pun, moving on) was that I didn't get buffeted by the wind in the Boxster, which allowed me to actually enjoy the sunny and 74 degree day. I actually thought that this was a bonus for the Boxster, due to the nature of the wind deflector and that it's a two-seater.

Anyway, so now you're telling me that a 911 cab is even more comfortable?

I may need to do more investigation. I figure a test drive of a 911 GTS may be sufficient.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:54 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

987 Boxster has the perfect combo of wind and comfort for me — adjusted by windows up or down. What’s the point in driving a convertible with zero wind and noise in the cabin?
Old 05-07-2019, 09:15 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
This is pretty interesting. I actually have never been a convertible guy, in fact I was pretty adamantly NON-convertible... between chassis compromises, track restrictions, and my sole convertible experience consisting of getting beat to **** by wind in the back seat of a 94 mustang, I just thought it wasn't for me. This lasted all the way up until my service adviser gifted me a Boxster as a loaner while my Macan was in for service. What actually "converted" me (couldn't resist the pun, moving on) was that I didn't get buffeted by the wind in the Boxster, which allowed me to actually enjoy the sunny and 74 degree day. I actually thought that this was a bonus for the Boxster, due to the nature of the wind deflector and that it's a two-seater.

Anyway, so now you're telling me that a 911 cab is even more comfortable?

I may need to do more investigation. I figure a test drive of a 911 GTS may be sufficient.
The best way of reducing top down wind turbulence is to have the driver's side window down and the passenger window up. Of course if you have a passenger it may not be advisable, since most of the wind is diverted to the passenger side of the car.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:45 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
The best way of reducing top down wind turbulence is to have the driver's side window down and the passenger window up. Of course if you have a passenger it may not be advisable, since most of the wind is diverted to the passenger side of the car.
This is also very interesting.

I think the point I was trying to make, is that I was under the (misguided, admittedly ignorant) assumption (based on an extremely small sample set) that larger cars with more cabin space had a miserable open top experience compared to 2 seater roadsters. Maybe that holds true for back seat passengers, which explains my bias. But now, armed with this newfound knowledge, I may actually explore my curiosity and ultimately consider the possibility of "side-grading" into a 911 cab. I've mentioned in other threads I love the dimensions and "tossability" of the mid-engine cars, but all things being equal probably prefer the practicality and outright performance of the 911.

That said, I do still think the Boxster looks better with the top down than a 911 cab- but I think that's more due to the nature of the roadster/spyder look being more balanced overall than a coupe/tourer with the roof chopped off. I always have and always will continue to lust over the design of a 911 coupe though. Eventually I'll have both but can only have one for now.

Quick Reply: GT4 to Boxster GTS: disappointment looming?