Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 to Boxster GTS: disappointment looming?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 07:45 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,142 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Awesome. Glad you are still enjoying it.

I'm at 53K miles now. Would be well over 60K had I not bought a 911 and spent all winter in it (all-season tires)

Will autocross it Sunday.
That's awesome, I need to get an alignment and put 200 more miles on my tires then I'll be back at it as well. I am over 60k despite not really driving it a whole lot over the winter. CPO warranty is good for 100k and through next November; I very well may have moved on to a Spyder by then but I also wouldn't be surprised if I still have this car in 15 years.

Speaking of which:

Originally Posted by Archimedes
And geez, can we stop all the whining about the Spyder top? It takes literally 60 seconds and about 25 calories to put it up and down.
Originally Posted by daylorb
Thank you - completely agree. I'll add one more point to this... In the blazing heat here in Austin, TX I found in my last two verts I couldn't ride much with the top down from mid-June to mid-September, automatic top or not.

The Spyder is ideal for this - leaving the top up, back off, windows down - as a shade tool, not a car top - it is completely ideal.
The link is supposed to start at 2:52 but I'm not proficient enough with whatever version of vbulletin or whatever so you may have to do it manually. Good enough to watch the whole clip though, these guys are always entertaining.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:05 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
That's awesome, I need to get an alignment and put 200 more miles on my tires then I'll be back at it as well. I am over 60k despite not really driving it a whole lot over the winter. CPO warranty is good for 100k and through next November; I very well may have moved on to a Spyder by then but I also wouldn't be surprised if I still have this car in 15 years.

Speaking of which:

The link is supposed to start at 2:52 but I'm not proficient enough with whatever version of vbulletin or whatever so you may have to do it manually. Good enough to watch the whole clip though, these guys are always entertaining.

https://youtu.be/-0VcNPFq0O4?t=172
Check out the exhaust pipes dancing at the 6:38 mark.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:25 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
And geez, can we stop all the whining about the Spyder top? It takes literally 60 seconds and about 25 calories to put it up and down.
No, because it's a goofy marketing gimmick that hurts the car's functionality and lessens the driving experience in return for an unmeasurable upside.

It's basically a case of Porsche trolling its own customers for the lulz.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:48 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Curious here, have you owned a 987.2 Spyder?
Old 04-26-2019, 08:58 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
No, because it's a goofy marketing gimmick that hurts the car's functionality and lessens the driving experience in return for an unmeasurable upside.

I 100% disagree - it greatly increases the driving experience over a thick-top mechanical in return for better sound, better look, less stuff to go wrong, simpler mechanics and weight savings.

Unless you are a risk taker who just can't stand to put the top up until you feel the first drops of rain... or if you had problems assembling legos as a kid, it is pretty darn simple.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:34 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I 100% disagree - it greatly increases the driving experience over a thick-top mechanical in return for better sound, better look, less stuff to go wrong, simpler mechanics and weight savings.

Unless you are a risk taker who just can't stand to put the top up until you feel the first drops of rain... or if you had problems assembling legos as a kid, it is pretty darn simple.
Maybe he had lincoln logs growing up?
Old 04-26-2019, 10:33 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by sh944
Curious here, have you owned a 987.2 Spyder?

No. I was told to expect excellence, not practical jokes.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:04 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Speaking specifically to the GTS/GT4 comparison, I think as long as you stick with the x73 suspension, you'll be happy. I went from a base 981 Cayman w/ x73 to the GT4. There is certainly a difference, but it's not a deal breaker...which I think speaks loads to the x73. Now...by comparison, my wife just bought a 981 Boxster S with standard suspension. To me, it feels like a heavy road-boat compared to the x73 and GT4.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:54 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

+1

Noah Fence, but how can anyone dismiss the following as "a goofy marketing gimmick" that "lessens the driving experience"?

• 24 lb. weight savings
  • Lower center of gravity
  • 11 lb. reduction in sound-deadening material, some from the roof, which increases the howl of the 3.8 inside the cabin when the top is up

Isn't the driving experience actually enhanced by these things? And when did lowering weight and center of gravity become a marketing gimmick?

Everyone has to balance, I suppose, what aspects and features they personally prefer. If you place a greater value on the convenience of a power top over the weight savings ethos of the Spyder, the reduction in the car's center of gravity, the heightened aural sensory experience the roof affords, and the cool stylistic elements (i.e. streamliners) shared by all Spyders past (987), present (981) and future (982), well, then, the Spyder is probably not for you.

And that's fine because the Spyder is not meant for everyone.

Let's watch this again because the sheer brilliance of the top bears repeating!

Old 04-27-2019, 12:13 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Thankfully the how-to video is nice and slow so first timers can see the steps. Sort of like diagnosing a golf swing...

Old 04-27-2019, 03:22 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Please. How lazy do you have to be to complain about spending sixty seconds putting up the top? Maybe a self driving car is in your future?
Old 04-27-2019, 07:23 AM
OzMello
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've owned a 981 Spyder since April of '16 and we just picked up a used GT4 for the wife (she traded in her 987 Cayman S). I figured that there would be a difference in the driving feel between the two, but was really surprised by how much sharper the GT4 is in comparison. The Spyder's no slouch in terms of handling, but the GT4 is something else! I'm anxious to get to our first DE this summer so I can chase her around the track and see if I can hang.

And the Spyder's top is no big deal! Once you get a routine it goes up or down quickly. Just remember to make sure that the wings are popped into their sockets when you put the top up. You don't want those things popping out and flailing around at speed!
Old 04-27-2019, 10:08 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny8qcnhrkBs

No. I was told to expect excellence, not practical jokes.
So you are commenting about something that you have no actual experience with? Got it...

Since I actually own one, I’ll just say that my experience is radically different than your uninformed opinion and that the top is one of the best features on the car. If you need to be able to push a button to raise/lower a convertible top then it is not the car for you.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:10 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Oh it had a top mine was down 99% of the time.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:32 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Clarkson is an idiot but he sure doesn’t like the Spyder.

Spyder top - kind of silly. As stated above, it’s just not for everyone.

OP - have you driven the GTS? If it’s more about the money, just do it and sleep a bit better.

Quick Reply: GT4 to Boxster GTS: disappointment looming?