Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What brake option for lower dust?

Old 04-23-2019, 10:50 AM
Rick_H
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default What brake option for lower dust?

Hey guys, I wanted to see what everyone is using for a lower dust, high performance pad option for their 987 Cayman S. I'm looking at replacing the rotors and pads when I upgrade the fluid and lines to start fresh. I plan on some DE action but mostly this is a nice weather driver, but performance oriented.
Just trying to get something lower dust then what I am seeing from the factory pads.

I was looking at new Rotors from Pelican, OEM Porsche or Brembo or I see guys saying the coated Zimmerman pieces are also nice. Is there a cryo option out for these cars? I had cryo disc and ceramic pads on my Superduty and the performance and life was second to nothing.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:16 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

I can't answer your question but want to throw out something you might want to consider. Next time you are at Walmart, Target, or wherever, grab a bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Wheel Cleaner and a can of Armor All Brake Dust Repellent. Clean your wheels really well with the Meguiar's. Let them dry completely. Spray your wheels with the Brake Dust Repellent. Let them dry at least an hour. Spray them again. I like to let them cure overnight.

Say goodbye to brake dust sticking to your wheels. I never would have believed an $8 can of Armor All anything would work. I was very, very wrong. In regular use on a car with factory pads the brake dust simply doesn't stick. It really doesn't. On my Boxster I use for track days and autocross I have Pagid race pads. I will get some dust clumping in those circumstances but a simple wash and the dust falls right off. This stuff is amazing. You don't even have to go nuts with it. Takes all of five seconds per wheel to spray it.

Of course getting a pad that results in little to no brake dust is the best way to go. But that isn't the world I live in right now. I'll get PCCBs or PSCBs on my street cars going forward. But the Armor All Brake Dust Repellent gives me that same look right now with virtually no work whatsoever. Give it a shot.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:01 PM
Type_A
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for this Caymansin. I have a set of cross drilled oem rotors and the "ceramic" pad upgrade on order from brakeperformance.com and had posted in my own thread on recommendations on pads to keep the dust to a minimum. Didnt get an answer in my thread but bp claims their own ceramic option is the best option to avoid dust, we'll see. But I will be doing your suggestion as well 😁
Old 04-23-2019, 12:56 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Type_A
Thanks for this Caymansin. I have a set of cross drilled oem rotors and the "ceramic" pad upgrade on order from brakeperformance.com and had posted in my own thread on recommendations on pads to keep the dust to a minimum. Didnt get an answer in my thread but bp claims their own ceramic option is the best option to avoid dust, we'll see. But I will be doing your suggestion as well 😁
I would love to get your feedback on the ceramic pads, the brake dust on the stock pads is ridiculous.

The Amor All Wheel Protectant works very well, I typically spray it on before a canyon run to make cleanup easier. The drawback is that it does leave a dull residue on the surface so you lose some gloss but paint underneath stays perfect.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:53 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

+ 1 for review of ceramic pads

Tried the autoglymm version of armor all but too much residue for my black wheels
Old 04-23-2019, 02:54 PM
danschy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I would love to get your feedback on the ceramic pads, the brake dust on the stock pads is ridiculous....
Shortly after I got my 07 Cayman in 2014 I took it to my indie for brakes, front and rear. He said he put "ceramic" on the front and "regular" ones on the back. No idea what the brand is, but I get near-zero dust in the front and the back is pretty bad per normal. I only drive my car in nice weather, so typically it looks great except for the rear wheels. So my experience has been very positive on "ceramic", sorry I don't know the brand.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:16 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 117 Posts

Ceramic pads will always have less dust, but the downside is less bite too. I've found the R4-S pads from Porterfield are a solid compromise between low dust & good bite.

https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/

I'm planning on ceramic coating my new wheels which I know works really well (the dust easily washes off the M5 wheels), but good to know the brake repellent works too.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:56 PM
Rick_H
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting stuff about the Armor All product, I wouldn't have guessed it would work that well!

I'm still up in the air on what to do, seems like the Zimmermann rotors are perfectly fine, not to decide on what pads. The Porterfield pieces sound interesting, I had not heard of that brand before but I'm primarily from a domestic background.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:29 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Low dust

Have/like Disc Italia ceramics

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What brake option for lower dust?