Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.2 Track Brake Pad Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 02:27 PM
ptm1019
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
I want to throw this out there since we are talking about brake dust.

Everyone here should buy a can of Armor All Brake Dust Repellent. Yes, Armor All. I know, I know. But this stuff is legitimately AMAZING.

Clean your wheels thoroughly. Let them get completely dry. Spray the wheels. Let it dry for an hour or two. Spray them again. Let them dry overnight. Brake dust does not stick. It's amazing. What little does over time washes right off easily. Just re-coat after each wash.

Just to see how good it works I recommend doing like I did and only treat one side of the car. Give it a week and you'll see a difference between the two. Two weeks even bigger. A month is bonkers.

A can is $8 at Walmart.
Or for those who are crazy meticulous you can always get your rims and calipers ceramic coated....
Old 04-18-2019, 03:36 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by ptm1019
I would likely run them all the time just to avoid having to swap them out for every track day. Noise doesn't bother me too much, ironically. I have a C63AMG as my daily driver and those brakes squeal like crazy, especially in the cold. I guess I'm just oblivious to it at this point, people can stare at me all the want.
The RS29s on my BGTS have utterly ruined me. All other brakes are garbage now. Suspect I'm going to have to get PCCBs from here on out.

That being said, don't say we didn't warn you about the noise. Remember I said they can be painfully loud. I mean that in the literal sense. The literal literal sense; not that BS figurative literal sense so many people use these days. Of course you have a Cayman to my Boxster, so as long as you have the windows up it won't be as bad for you. I pity the people in convertibles near you or with their windows down.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:44 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
I ...

Just to see how good it works I recommend doing like I did and only treat one side of the car. Give it a week and you'll see a difference between the two. Two weeks even bigger. A month is bonkers.

A can is $8 at Walmart.
That the the forum's concourse police haven't shamed you for suggesting a month between washes is bonkers!

If you don't wash your car, you cant have a fun drive. How can you have a fun drive if you don't wash your car? Hello, is there anybody in there.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:55 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ptm1019
Or for those who are crazy meticulous you can always get your rims and calipers ceramic coated....
That's a great idea!

Once pollen season slows down I'll do a full detail on my cars. Maybe I'll ceramic the driver side wheels and use Armor All on the passenger side. See how the wheels look if I can somehow go a whole month without washing one of the cars.

Will be interesting to compare effectiveness versus the time it takes to protect the wheel. No idea how long it will take to ceramic the wheels. It literally takes 5 seconds per wheels to use the Armor All. So round it up to 30 seconds for two wheels after each wash because I like to do two coats (which is probably not necessary as I don't think it is even recommended).
Old 04-18-2019, 04:01 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom R.
That the the forum's concourse police haven't shamed you for suggesting a month between washes is bonkers!

If you don't wash your car, you cant have a fun drive. How can you have a fun drive if you don't wash your car? Hello, is there anybody in there.
Did we just become best friends? Yup!

The only reason I was able to make it a month was because I wanted to see how the wheels fared. Plus it was the dead of winter and around freezing.

I really, really want to put a drain in my garage so I can do a proper wash no matter the weather. I have ONR but I can't bring myself to use it on the Porsches. It was great on my BMW because the clear coat was like granite; basically impossible to scratch. The Porsches not so much.

My wife wants to buy a few wooded acres on the outskirts of town. Fence it in and let it be a private dog park for our boys. Also build a large garage where I could store and detail cars.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:02 AM
rickyboycz
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Just my two cents and things I've done that work well...
  • Track Pads are PFC11's (they're awesomesauce). They're very consistent with a quick grab and even modulation as your releasing pressure on the pad. Never had pad fade issues even on tracks that were taxing on the brakes. I swap pads between OEM and PFC's. I keep the PFC's on for a period of time after the track event (usually 1 to 2 weeks) to ensure I scrape off the PFC compound from the rotor before switching back to OEM pad. I'll probably roll with a PFC 'streetable' pad so compounds are compatible in the near future.
  • Ceramic coat your wheels and calipers. Makes clean up a breeze for an extra long time compared to other sealants and waxes...which will probably last 4 to 6 weeks only. Also, ceramic coating has self cleaning properties that waxes/sealants do not have. When I ceramic coat my wheels I do the face and the barrell. My last set of track wheels i sold looked almost new after 2 1/2 years of use. The buyer was extremely happy. Rubber doesn't stick to the wheel very well and neither does brake dust. Literally I could clean my wheels and calipers for about 5 minutes each. Just some good soap and light abrasion then they look like new.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:06 AM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

Who performs the ceramic coating? pls give full deets on the process and costs.

TIA
Old 04-19-2019, 11:16 AM
rickyboycz
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
Who performs the ceramic coating? pls give full deets on the process and costs.

TIA
I DIY that job. It's very easy to do and endless number of videos online to show you how. Just have to clean the areas extremely well before applying the coating. Ceramic coats are very similar to applying a wax to your car. You wipe on; let set for a short period of time (until you see the rainbow effect usually 30 seconds or so); then wipe/buff away. Just make sure you buff any 'high spots'. Which is basically coating that didn't react to the surface so it needs to be wiped off before it bonds with the ceramic coat layer underneath it.

Or, you can probably find a professional detailer in your area that would do it. To do the wheels and calipers I wouldn't think it's crazy expensive.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:56 AM
jesseellington
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Raybestos St43

Because I had these on my 87 911 and they were fine with only minor squeaking I got the same for my 08 Cayman S. Wow, a whole different world of squeeling/squalling at every cold stop on the street. One or two hard brake hits at the track and its gone but has me thinking I should go back to swapping back to street pads between events.

Quick Reply: 987.2 Track Brake Pad Recommendations