Notices

987 Boxster Sorting Suggestions

Old 04-25-2019, 11:14 AM
andy7777
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cool thanks. I have the stock S shifter on my '07 and its not as nice as what came standard on my Cayman R. I've never been able to figure out if Porsche put the GT shifter in the R, but whatever it is I'd like it in my Boxster.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:16 PM
garfunkle
User

Originally Posted by andy7777 View Post
Cool thanks. I have the stock S shifter on my '07 and its not as nice as what came standard on my Cayman R. I've never been able to figure out if Porsche put the GT shifter in the R, but whatever it is I'd like it in my Boxster.
You'd likely be happy with an OEM option. Also, the factory shifter cables are garbage in our cars. That will make a big difference too. The factory options are good. Not as goood as an S2000 which ruined me for all other shifters.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:04 PM
garfunkle
User

Couple of updates: shifter, cables, belt, water pump, thermostat and engine bushing.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:16 AM
ptm1019
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garfunkle View Post
I am.

I can tell you that this is a much notchier setup than most. The GT3/Porsche SSK is a lot more approachable for the average driver. I test drive a few before pulling the trigger. OEM is actually easier to drive. That being said, this is the most "snick, snick" precise option available for our cars but takes being intentional about shifting until it gets broken in a little. It has the most robust construction I've seen and is aligned with my build. I.e. FF1 engine mounts and 400/460 spring rates on Ohlin R/T DFV.
I agree. The combination of the numeric shifter (set to middle position) and the OE cables is incredibly smooth and precise. Probably the best balanced setup you can get from a feel/precision/ease of use standpoint.
Once the Numeric cables are in you will notice an increase level of shift effort, which is worth it in my opinion. There is a greater feeling of engagement and a satisfying click when the gear is engaged with the steel cables. Plus you never have to worry about snapping a cable. I havenít noticed any measurable increase in cabin noise in my 987.2 which Iíve heard others complain about.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:13 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by andy7777 View Post
Assuming the R had the same as the Spyder, it would have been a standard shifter. What I noticed is that all the plastic in the shift mechanism wears rather quickly resulting in deteriorating shifter feel with age. GT shifter helps but itís no numeric!

Nice progress Garfunkle, bet the car is loads of fun in the mountains. Cool that youíre doing all your own work too!
Old 05-04-2019, 12:57 PM
garfunkle
User

Originally Posted by ptm1019 View Post
I agree. The combination of the numeric shifter (set to middle position) and the OE cables is incredibly smooth and precise. Probably the best balanced setup you can get from a feel/precision/ease of use standpoint.
Once the Numeric cables are in you will notice an increase level of shift effort, which is worth it in my opinion. There is a greater feeling of engagement and a satisfying click when the gear is engaged with the steel cables. Plus you never have to worry about snapping a cable. I havenít noticed any measurable increase in cabin noise in my 987.2 which Iíve heard others complain about.
I have a noticeable increase in cabin noise when the car is off and I'm playing with it. It's a good mechanical sound and I am not complaining When I am at WOT you can't hear it.

The other thing I did at the same time is add an FF1 engine mount. You can barely feel any additional NVM at idle but because it's my car I can feel it SLIGHTLY. That being said - totally worth it. The car feels tighter and more responsive. This may be the biggest bang for the buck mod so far.

With the car being so mechanical compared to my 991 and my mods taking the slop out of it - it is definitely on the hardcore end of the street car spectrum - still soft compared to a [dedicated] track car though. With the Ohlins, bushings and shifter mods the car really communicates amazingly. The tune and TB (maybe the plenum too which sounds awesome if nothing else) make the car is really responsive. I can also feel the car telling me where limits are by a drastic difference from the 991. The car is still planted and handles well but where as the 991 is so flattering to the pilot, this car lets you know something may happen but lets you know well in advance of doing something dumb.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:00 PM
garfunkle
User

Originally Posted by Marine Blue View Post
Assuming the R had the same as the Spyder, it would have been a standard shifter. What I noticed is that all the plastic in the shift mechanism wears rather quickly resulting in deteriorating shifter feel with age. GT shifter helps but itís no numeric!

Nice progress Garfunkle, bet the car is loads of fun in the mountains. Cool that youíre doing all your own work too!
Thanks. I think the GT shifter will be fine for most. I obviously put my money where my mouth is though and do think that the cables are a mandatory upgrade. If you're the type that didn't choose PDK then just do the cables

I'm also happy that the new belt, water pump, thermostat and fluids are changed. The car should pretty much be bullet proof now.

I can't wait for the headers to get here and I'll also do plugs. The car has 37K miles but the vast majority is refreshed on all the weak points.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:19 PM
garfunkle
User

All clean and dialed in:
Old 05-04-2019, 03:31 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice Stance!
Old 05-14-2019, 11:59 AM
garfunkle
User

FVD headers are in! I also did the plugs at the same time. The Exhaust note did change slightly but I suspect it will open upon a little after they break in. My 911 is pretty soft compared to this car but has a pretty crazy exhaust note. Kind of wish I could swap the sounds since the 987 is so much stiffer and more mechanical.

At a gathering Sat, I did do some hooning with a 987.1 cayman. He is modded vs my 987.2 Box. My car pulled away pretty easily. The headers with an updated tune might add a little more. This car is nowhere near as fast as my 911 but I am having a lot more fun in it.... The 911 for me is a forever car and I wanted this car for a toy for a couple years... I'm getting attached faster than a lesbian.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:23 PM
garfunkle
User

Old 05-14-2019, 04:06 PM
TerrySmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kitc2246 View Post
I've found that my front brakes with Hawk DCT-60s have all the stopping power my Michelin PS4s and my track skills can handle. I switch back to OEM pads because the DCT-60s are really dusty and squeak on the street. Many do upgrade the brakes, but suggest a more aggressive brake pad first.
For what it's worth, I've done about 10 track days in my 987.2 and always used OEM brakes and even OEM pads and fluid. Thought I would try OEM before upgrading and then never had any problems at all (except a false brake wear warning caused by a faulty sensor). I did have to change the pads (and tires) and flush the brake fluid more often than with normal street running but after 55 kmiles of Canyon carving and track days, I still have the original rotors.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:13 PM
TerrySmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garfunkle View Post
The Zunsports were crazy easy to install... but the trade off is poor fitment. I know many will argue that but look at my pics. The Rennsport grills are a PITA to install on my 991 but look much more OEM. I'll swap these when I add a third radiator.
Are the Rennsport grills relatively easy to remove for occasional cleaning?

I have the Zunsport grills and even with the grills, enough stuff gets in that they need to occasionally be removed to allow clearing stuff out. Also, after a Nevada road trip, so many bugs were stuck in the Zunsport grills that I had to remove them to clean the grills themselves.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:13 PM
garfunkle
User

Originally Posted by TerrySmith View Post
Are the Rennsport grills relatively easy to remove for occasional cleaning?

I have the Zunsport grills and even with the grills, enough stuff gets in that they need to occasionally be removed to allow clearing stuff out. Also, after a Nevada road trip, so many bugs were stuck in the Zunsport grills that I had to remove them to clean the grills themselves.
Havenít gotten to that point. On my 911 you have to remove the bumper to clean. Assuming the same.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:16 PM
garfunkle
User

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: