Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.2 Regular to PSE Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 01:15 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts
Default 987.2 Regular to PSE Exhaust?

I have a 2012 Black Edition Boxster S with the regular exhaust that came with it. I'm thinking of having PSE installed but would like to know what the difference would be before I do this.

I've done a search here and on YouTube but couldn't find a before and after sound recording. Did anyone here do this and have before and after videos?

Thanks in advance!
Charlie
Old 04-09-2019, 01:49 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 891 Posts

Old 04-09-2019, 02:18 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
Thanks!!
Old 04-09-2019, 09:20 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I was fortunate that the very first Spyder I drove was fitted with PSE. Unbeknownst to me the salesman hat hit the button before we were off. I only realized it when we had gotten back and turned the button off before shutting the car off. I literally gave the sales guy a WTF look and said “It should come from the factory with permanent PSE”. Needless to say the PSE and Bucket became must have options. That was my first taste of how Porsche makes more money on their cars.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:31 AM
Joe Henley
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had PSE installed on my 2010 BS. Then headers, IPD, etc. The Indie shop which did the work has a video on FaceBook of before and after; it's at:
Facebook Post
I think it's after PSE, but before headers, etc.

But I gotta tell ya, the video of mine, and the one further up the thread, aren't much help. While you can tell some difference in the videos, it's absolutely nothing compared to the difference you hear when the engine is under load. Revving it in a parking lot just doesn't tell the story. Instead, floor it on a nice long stretch, preferably slightly up-hill, up thru a couple of gears ... it absolutely screams. PSE on or off in what I'm describing is two entirely different cars!

Get'cha some and ENJOY!

Joe Henley

Last edited by Joe Henley; 04-09-2019 at 11:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-09-2019, 11:55 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 891 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Henley

But I gotta tell ya, the video of mine, and the one further up the thread, aren't much help. While you can tell some difference in the videos, it's absolutely nothing compared to the difference you hear when the engine is under load. Revving it in a parking lot just doesn't tell the story. Instead, floor it on a nice long stretch, preferably slightly up-hill, up thru a couple of gears ... it absolutely screams. PSE on or off in what I'm describing is two entirely different cars!

Get'cha some and ENJOY!

Joe Henley
I agree with this 100%! I made the first video a few years back. I currently have PSE and love it.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:08 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie C
I have a 2012 Black Edition Boxster S with the regular exhaust that came with it. I'm thinking of having PSE installed but would like to know what the difference would be before I do this.

I've done a search here and on YouTube but couldn't find a before and after sound recording. Did anyone here do this and have before and after videos?

Thanks in advance!
Charlie
Have you considered going the aftermarket route? Here at Fabspeed, we have a couple different valved options that will give you exactly what you are looking for and more! Our systems are fabricated here in the states and we use ONLY the best valves in the market. Why spend the money to get a simple factory PSE system, when you can upgrade the performance AND have control of your valves. Don't have the PSE button in your car? Not a worry, we will provide you with a valve controller that you can even program to your garage door opener! Take a look at some of our products and feel free to reach out for club pricing!

Porsche 987.2 Boxster / Cayman TrackTec Valved Bypass Exhaust System

Our esteemed sporty Maxflo Exhaust tone with a raw, race car roar and extra power at the press of a button thanks to muffler bypass valves. One exhaust, two unique tones.Our esteemed sporty Maxflo Exhaust tone with a raw, race car roar and extra power at the press of a button thanks to muffler bypass valves. One exhaust, two unique tones.
Fabspeed engineers are always tinkering, and we wanted to try something a little different. We incorporated muffler bypass valves into the inlet pipes of our Maxflo Exhaust system to unleash an additional raw, race car like tone at the press of a button. We're proud to now offer the unique TrackTec Valved Bypass Exhaust for those looking for something special.
With valves closed, the familiar sporty, refined tone of the Maxflo mufflers offers a pleasing level of sound with no droning. With one press of the factory Sport button or Fabspeed valve controller remote, the exhaust is free to travel unrestricted through the 48mm dump tubes bypassing the mufflers. A frenzy of burbling and crackling erupts with every application of the throttle. A thunderous roar permeates the cabin at just the right volume level. Turn up the volume and turn heads to with an increase of around 15whp and 19ft-lbs of torque at 4000RPM.
  • Fits all Porsche 987.2 Boxster/Cayman vehicles (2009-2011)
  • Includes Deluxe Dual-Style tips in your choice of finish
  • Improves horsepower and torque by around 15 whp and 19 ft-lbs at 4000 RPM
  • Saves 6 lbs from the rear of the vehicle compared to the full OEM exhaust system
  • Does not trigger a Check Engine Light
  • Constructed from high quality 14-16ga CNC mandrel-bent T304 stainless steel for maximum performance and durability
  • Noticeable improvement in sports car sound and throttle response
  • Direct replacement for the OEM muffler with no cutting or welding required
  • All Fabspeed performance products are backed by the Fabspeed Lifetime Limited Warranty
Fabspeed Motorsport 987.2 Boxster/Cayman exhaust options

Old 04-10-2019, 03:21 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I was fortunate that the very first Spyder I drove was fitted with PSE. Unbeknownst to me the salesman hat hit the button before we were off. I only realized it when we had gotten back and turned the button off before shutting the car off. I literally gave the sales guy a WTF look and said “It should come from the factory with permanent PSE”. Needless to say the PSE and Bucket became must have options. That was my first taste of how Porsche makes more money on their cars.
I've only not had PSE in 1 of 10 Porsches (my second one, a 2009 997S). I spent thousands trying to get the car to sound good. I failed. Never again.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:37 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Update: Just had PSE installed at my dealer. Picked it up on Friday. All I can say is "why did I wait so long"? I love the sound. It's like it's singing when you get the revs up.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:01 PM
Abbett
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Total cost for install of PSE

If you don't mind, would you share what you paid in parts and labor to install the PSE.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:15 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Abbett
If you don't mind, would you share what you paid in parts and labor to install the PSE.
Yes, please share this information.
Also was the exhaust button installed on the dash?
Thanks!!
Old 05-16-2019, 02:19 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

I got three prices for the job. One from an "Indy" and two from Porsche dealers. The dealer prices originally ranged $4757 and $4409. The indy was about $1000 cheaper. So I talked to the dealer where I bought the car and he agreed to do it for $3780. which wasn't too much more than the indy. I just figured it would be a safer route having the dealer do it for a 2 year warranty and just in case there was an emissions issue. Also, I dropped the car off at 9:30 AM on a Thursday and picked it back up on Friday at 5 PM and they gave me a "free" loaner which made it easier than having an indy do it (needing a ride both to drop off and pick up).

These prices are before sales tax and with me using my original tips which fit just fine and since my car is a "Black Edition Boxster S", I wanted to keep that look.

PM me if you want my dealer info.

Charlie

PS. They did install the switch: I'll post the photo here.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:26 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

To be honest the OEM PSE is quite underwhelming to me. If my car didn't come with it already I would opt for an aftermarket solution.
The following users liked this post:
blackharp (03-23-2023)
Old 05-16-2019, 02:53 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 66 Posts

@Charlie C
Thank you
Old 05-16-2019, 04:10 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by idk_alex
To be honest the OEM PSE is quite underwhelming to me. If my car didn't come with it already I would opt for an aftermarket solution.
I guess it depends on the sound you're looking for. I am quite happy with the sound of PSE on my car. I don't think I'd want it any louder and I like being able to switch between the loud and louder sound. Even with PSE, it's quite a bit louder and has more low end (i.e. low pitch deeper sound) than the regular exhaust had. Before if I accelerated and let the revs get high, you'd hardly notice the sound. Now it really "sings" when I do that to the point I might even consider shutting it off if I was anywhere I might draw UNWANTED attention.

I think PSE works perfectly for me. I'm sure some of the other switchable exhausts might work as well too. I just figured the PSE was already tested out for my car and emissions.

Quick Reply: 987.2 Regular to PSE Exhaust?