Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carnewal exhaust for 981 or other option?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 12:28 AM
Gilbert Han
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carnewal exhaust for 981 or other option?

Hello all,

I have been looking through 981 exhaust option and Carnewal exhaust caught my eyes.
Link: http://www.carnewal.com/products/981...wal-GT-Exhaust

This internally modified exhaust to get a better sound.
Price is really affordable even if include shipping to Belgium from the states.
It can be done under $700

Is there anyone who has an experience with this?
Or if you have other exhaust on your 981, would you recommend it?

Not too loud, and no drone is what I want but still have a Porsche note, pops, crackle, when off the throttle.

So, please share your experience about Carnewal exhaust,
or please share other exhaust option.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-09-2019, 09:14 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

Go for Fister if you're stateside. It's basically the same.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:17 PM
ramans
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I've driven two cars with the Carnewal Mod on them (Both performed by Cantrell Motorsports) one was a 981 Boxster the other was 987 Cayman S, both sounded really nice, it's a cheaper option that the full PSE but doesn't get you the quiet mode for late night neighborhood entrances, but definitely a nice sound. I didn't drive them for long enough on a freeway to determine if there was any drone.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:54 PM
SomnoBoost
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Carnewal has zero drone. None. Sounds beautiful. Every aftermarket exhaust I've ever heard on a Porsche changes the sound, the Carnewal exhaust just sounds louder but not different and that is a very good thing. Not too loud for the neighbors but loud enough to make you want to roll down the windows and turn you radio off to listen to the rumble and howl. I just had mine installed on my 987.2 about 500 miles ago. The process of delivery, install, return, etc. was fine. I ordered the exhaust and it arrived three days later.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:14 AM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by SomnoBoost
Carnewal has zero drone. None. Sounds beautiful. Every aftermarket exhaust I've ever heard on a Porsche changes the sound, the Carnewal exhaust just sounds louder but not different and that is a very good thing. Not too loud for the neighbors but loud enough to make you want to roll down the windows and turn you radio off to listen to the rumble and howl. I just had mine installed on my 987.2 about 500 miles ago. The process of delivery, install, return, etc. was fine. I ordered the exhaust and it arrived three days later.
This review is very relevant to my interests, so thanks. Another benefit is there are no CARB issues since the stock cats aren't touched. I'm considering making a road trip and having them install it in their shop.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:38 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
This review is very relevant to my interests, so thanks. Another benefit is there are no CARB issues since the stock cats aren't touched. I'm considering making a road trip and having them install it in their shop.
They are in Europe.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:11 AM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 145 Posts

Cantrell Motorsports is in Seattle and they are licensed by Carnewal of Belguim to mod exhausts in USA.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:31 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by olegd
Cantrell Motorsports is in Seattle and they are licensed by Carnewal of Belguim to mod exhausts in USA.
Thanks for that clarification! I was wondering why all these stateside people were all about it. Wish I'd have known this before I shipped my whole car from Seattle last week...
Old 04-10-2019, 11:35 AM
RomulusMD
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the exhaust yesterday. Dropped the car at the shop and when I picked it up I could not believe how good it sounds. The dealer gave me a 2012 991 they had on the lot to test drive and the exhaust on that one was screaming. The Carnewal is an amazing change. Now I know it’s supposed to mellow out a bit over the next couple hundred miles - but right of the bat - best sound!

I am in Providence Rhode Island so ordered it directly from Belgium - Gert was super responsive! Literally responds to emails within hours. Placed order I think on a Tuesday - was on my porch by Saturday. Super easy to order. Took it to the local German Motors shop and they charged 250 to install which is about 2 hours. Very satisfied - cannot recommend it enough.

And I think it’s the best bang for the buck - for under $1000 you take the 981 from a mellow car to a true sports car sounding machine. And yet it’s not track car/rice rocket, won’t bug the neighbors. I considered trading to that 2012 991 - but after the new exhaust sound - I’m keeping my 981 for a while!
Old 04-10-2019, 12:59 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 430 Posts

Have you considered Fabspeed? We just released a new system with Anti-Drone technology. By using a Helmholz cross over tube. No drone, no cutting or welding, no lights. Take a peek at the product and feel free to reach out for club pricing!

Porsche 981 Boxster/Cayman Valvetronic Exhaust System

Fabspeed's Valvetronic Exhaust System is the ultimate catback setup for the ultimate streetable track car. New anti-resonance technology makes for an even more enjoyable experience.Unmatched versatility with the performance to match; the ultimate catback exhaust solution for the 981 Boxster/Cayman, born from the DNA of our highly successful GT4 exhaust. New anti-resonance technology makes for an even more enjoyable experience.

We're proud to offer a premium exhaust solution for the Porsche 981 Boxster/Cayman. Our Valvetronic Exhaust offers two distinct tones depending on valve position: mild and wild. Thanks to our unique design, you can now tear up the backroads while enjoying the high performance sound of a free-flowing catback exhaust without sacrificing the ability to to push a button and enter your neighborhood after your midnight joyride without having to explain yourself at the next HOA meeting. With the valves open, burbles and backfires erupt in abundance, and downshifts summon a bark that will make all eyes and ears around focus on you. We're not exaggerating. This system will put an ear-to-ear smile on the most miserly of faces.
  • Fits all Porsche 981 Boxster & Cayman (2013-2016) models
  • Carbon fiber shrouded tips are included
  • Weighs 7lbs less than the factory rear muffler system.
  • Constructed from 14-16ga T304L stainless steel tubing for maximum power and durability
  • Direct bolt-on installation; no cutting or welding required
  • All Fabspeed performance products are backed by the Fabspeed Lifetime Limited Warranty

Old 04-10-2019, 02:45 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
They are in Europe.
You're underestimating my road trip powers.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:58 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

There's always Cargraphic which is made in Germany. I didn't have my '14 Cayman S very long but it did have PSE and I thought the sound was perfect.

Wonder what all these aftermarket companies are going to do in a few years when EV takes over?? Sorry, inner voice...
Old 04-10-2019, 06:50 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
There's always Cargraphic which is made in Germany. I didn't have my '14 Cayman S very long but it did have PSE and I thought the sound was perfect.

Wonder what all these aftermarket companies are going to do in a few years when EV takes over?? Sorry, inner voice...
cargraphic is incredible
Old 04-10-2019, 07:26 PM
gla
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have had the Carnewal mod done to my 2014 Cayman S for about three years. Had it done by Cantrell in Seattle. I took it off and shipped it and it was returned within a few days. I think it cost just under $700 to have it done. Very satisfied. Previously had Fabspeed cat back system and I liked it but there was drone at certain rpms. Glad I kept my original mufflers for the Carnewal modification. Absolutely recommend. Just a bit nastier sounding but still civil. Just right for me.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:49 PM
SomnoBoost
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

The Carnewal exhaust takes some miles to "learn" your car. The way the exhaust sounded right after install vs. the way it sounds after putting 300 miles on it is pretty drastic difference, for the better. The low idle rev now has a very grumbly rumble that was not really present before the 200-300 miles of use. The sound improved in every way really.

Quick Reply: Carnewal exhaust for 981 or other option?