Notices

981 Spyder Door Panel Warp?

Old 07-12-2019, 01:05 PM
saabin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alex911s View Post
thanks Saabin.. panel wont come in til 7/29 will get that done .. and call around for the headlights

here you go..

Is that your headlight? Got a pic during the daytime without the light on?

It looks pretty bad in that pic, but looking at night with the lights on can make it appear worse than it really is..
Old 07-13-2019, 10:53 AM
CaymanCrush
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My passenger door panel started warping this week. Not as bad as some of the pictures above, but enough for me to notice when checking that mirror during a drive.

In my case, pretty certain heat from exposure to the Sun was the trigger. It appeared to be dried out, so I hit it with a leather cleaner and a conditioner to soften it up.
It already looks like that has helped some, but will see about getting it replaced on CPO Warranty soon.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:24 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush View Post
My passenger door panel started warping this week. Not as bad as some of the pictures above, but enough for me to notice when checking that mirror during a drive.

In my case, pretty certain heat from exposure to the Sun was the trigger. It appeared to be dried out, so I hit it with a leather cleaner and a conditioner to soften it up.
It already looks like that has helped some, but will see about getting it replaced on CPO Warranty soon.
You noted you used leather conditioner, is your panel leather or vinyl? Leather will shrink with time if itís not treated regularly and once itís shrunk itís difficult to bring it back without professional help. Still it shouldnít be happening this early so definitely pursue CPO.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:56 AM
hf1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes, I thought leather panels were immune to this warping. Needs clarification.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:37 AM
CaymanCrush
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue View Post
You noted you used leather conditioner, is your panel leather or vinyl? Leather will shrink with time if itís not treated regularly and once itís shrunk itís difficult to bring it back without professional help. Still it shouldnít be happening this early so definitely pursue CPO.
Originally Posted by hf1 View Post
Yes, I thought leather panels were immune to this warping. Needs clarification.
My apologies gentlemen, it is in fact the faux leather VINYL interior.

It looked and felt a bit dried out, thus the attempt to relax the material with some moisture.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:36 AM
CaymanCrush
Addict
Rennlist Member

So I called the Porsche Dealer (closest to home) and gave them the VIN and described the problem - "warped door panel".

1st: They had serious problems trying to verify the VIN. Had to give it to them repeatedly for ~10 minutes. Finally they were able to corroborate the VIN. (?)

2nd: They said my CPO Warranty had expired last year. I immediately corrected them and said it doesn't expire until the end of next year. => "Oh you might be right".

3rd: They said the door panel was considered a "Trim Item" and was not covered under my CPO Warranty but they could call Porsche NA and ask for a "Good Will" replacement.
Seriously?!!

My next call was to the Porsche Dealer that has handled the sale and maintenance of this car since day one.. They said:
  • "Yea no problem, its covered under your CPO Warranty.
  • Send us a Pic of the door panel.
  • We'll get the part ordered and keep you posted.
  • As soon as it arrives we'll schedule the appt. for the replacement.
  • If needed, we'll get you in another car.
So its just a little bit less convenient to go to this other Porsche Dealer, but hey... they're making it so much easier to get this resolved.

Guess which Porsche Dealer I'll be going to from now on (for any and all of my Porsche needs)?
Old 07-18-2019, 11:45 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush View Post
So I called the Porsche Dealer (closest to home) and gave them the VIN and described the problem - "warped door panel".

1st: They had serious problems trying to verify the VIN. Had to give it to them repeatedly for ~10 minutes. Finally they were able to corroborate the VIN. (?)

2nd: They said my CPO Warranty had expired last year. I immediately corrected them and said it doesn't expire until the end of next year. => "Oh you might be right".

3rd: They said the door panel was considered a "Trim Item" and was not covered under my CPO Warranty but they could call Porsche NA and ask for a "Good Will" replacement.
Seriously?!!

My next call was to the Porsche Dealer that has handled the sale and maintenance of this car since day one.. They said:
  • "Yea no problem, its covered under your CPO Warranty.
  • Send us a Pic of the door panel.
  • We'll get the part ordered and keep you posted.
  • As soon as it arrives we'll schedule the appt. for the replacement.
  • If needed, we'll get you in another car.
So its just a little bit less convenient to go to this other Porsche Dealer, but hey... they're making it so much easier to get this resolved.

Guess which Porsche Dealer I'll be going to from now on (for any and all of my Porsche needs)?
Good to hear same exact thing happened with me..
Now I need to work on my headlights ..lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: