Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which oem short shift for 987.2? 2 oem choices

Old 04-02-2019, 01:16 AM
dragon993
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default which oem short shift for 987.2? 2 oem choices

I was planning on going the ‘XCZ’ option short shifter for the 987.2

However browsing on ecstuning I see 2 choices.

it seems the 987 is a real short shift kit for the 987 and the 997 one when used on the 987 only adds metal bushings to reduce some rubber-ness.

does anyone have any comparison between the two? I’m thinking if I want a more involved shift, the 987 XCZ one should be the one to go for?

987 option XCZ
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/99742498300/

This factory short shift kit reduces shift distance by up to 35% depending on your model. That means more precise shifting and added sportier feel to the experience. Compatible with any factory shift ****.

997.2 gt3 shift
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/99742401091/

This shifter features over a 26% reduction in shift throw over standard 986/996 shifters, while reducing play in the shifter. On 987/997 models, this shifter retains the standard throw length, but adds the durability of metal shift bushings. These bushings will last the lifetime of the vehicle.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:57 AM
j-kite
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I cannot compare the two, but just installed the XCZ option over the weekend. Very happy with the difference in the engagement and feel, and the throws aren't too short. My understanding is the GT3 option maintains the same length throw as stock, which was a bit too long for my tastes. Hope this helps!
Old 04-02-2019, 08:33 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I just installed the GT3 Shifter and as noted, the change is primarily in the feel and actuation of the shifter. Basically the GT3 shifter maintains the same throw length but it significantly improves the feel and directness of the shift. It gives it a very smooth mechanical feel and eliminates all the rubbery slop of the stock shifter.

I haven’t tried the stock short shift although I have tried an aftermarket version from B&M and from what I recall the shift is more direct and shorter throws with no slop. It’s not as smooth as the GT3 shifter, at least not the aftermarket version I had tried but the Porsche version may be better. Here’s a link to the one I tried: https://www.holley.com/products/driv...he/parts/45135
Old 04-02-2019, 09:25 AM
dragon993
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by j-kite
I cannot compare the two, but just installed the XCZ option over the weekend. Very happy with the difference in the engagement and feel, and the throws aren't too short. My understanding is the GT3 option maintains the same length throw as stock, which was a bit too long for my tastes. Hope this helps!
good color - did you find the feel of the shifter similar, just as rubbery?
Old 04-03-2019, 12:07 AM
j-kite
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by adrian993
good color - did you find the feel of the shifter similar, just as rubbery?
I find it more precise, and less rubbery for sure. For reference, the car has about 34k miles on it, 22k of which were rather spirited. I'm not sure how much of that caused my unhappiness with the stock unit, but I found it to be a vague and sloppy weakness in an otherwise great driving experience. I'd describe the new setup as "better than most, not as good as some" (S2000s have ruined me). If you happen to be local, I'd be happy to let you have a try firsthand.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:43 AM
nowakm99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I did a lot of research on this topic a few years ago and personally tried out different SSKs on other owners’ cars at track events, car meets, etc. I personally ended up going with the Numeric SSK as it had the most direct, mechanical feel of them all.

Try one out before buying OEM. I think that you’ll be impressed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: which oem short shift for 987.2? 2 oem choices