Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here using the Rennline GT3 Bumper Vent?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 02:14 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
Question Anyone here using the Rennline GT3 Bumper Vent?

I'm going to be installing a center radiator on my '07 Cayman S, and figured that while I have the bumper off I could install a GT3 Smile vent. Just curious if anyone here is using the kit from Rennline. I read some reviews and watched their install video, seems pretty straight forward. They offer a template for the cutout for $75, but not sure if it's really necessary. Any feedback would be much appreciated,.

For reference, here is the Rennline kit. http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-GT3...oductinfo/E9X/
Old 04-01-2019, 02:26 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure I can answer your question completely but I do want to add to the discussion. I installed the center radiator on my 2006 Cayman S. The install was much easier than I expected and there are some good YouTube videos that show step by step procedures.

The radiator comes with a faring that mounts to the back. This faring directs the outgoing air "down" and you have to cut corresponding holes in the bottom of your bumper for the air to exit. This faring cannot be mounted in the reverse to have exiting air flow upwards (i.e., to the exit holes provided with the GT3 grill).

I'm guessing that the real GT3 center radiator has a faring that directs the air upwards and I would think to use the GT3 grill, in a functioning mannor, you would need this faring. Otherwise, the GT3 grill on a Cayman is just for looks.

I'm anxious to hear from anyone that has experience with this.

One more piece of advice: The center radiator for the 987.1 does not have a grill in front of the radiator. It's just an opening however, it does have a rubber housing that mounts to the back side of the bumper that connects the bumper to the radiator and gives it a clean, functioning look. I wanted to have a grill that matched the grills on the fog light/radiator opening and so I ordered the center grill that is made for the Cayman R - It does not fit. The shape is a little different. I even tried to make it work by cutting out the grill part from the Cayman R and was going to glue to the opening that comes with the radiator kit but that won't work either - the measurements just won't work. Just FYI.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:30 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the feedback about the radiator! From what I've read the GT3 vent is supposed to allow the incoming air though the bumper an easier path of exit, which in turn increases down force. Would be like to hear other peoples take on that.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:08 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Code
Thanks for the feedback about the radiator! From what I've read the GT3 vent is supposed to allow the incoming air though the bumper an easier path of exit, which in turn increases down force. Would be like to hear other peoples take on that.
That's what I was getting at. With the center radiator (for 987), the incoming air flows thru the radiator but is then channeled out the bottom thru a faring/vent that is mounted to the back of the radiator. The real GT3 must have a similar faring/vent but instead routes the air upwards to the vent and also adds down force. With the current setup of the center radiator, sold for 987, there is no way for the exiting air to go upwards as it is channeled to the bottom of the car. It's possible that you can order this vent for a GT3 and fit it to the 987 but I have no direct knowledge of this.

I have a friend that has a GT3 and I am going to take a look at how that exit air is routed. I won't be able see his car for a couple of weeks though.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:10 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Oh, I see what you mean now, and that makes sense.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:12 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Oh, I see what you mean now, and that makes sense.
Actually, I would search for this vent/faring (what ever it is called) for a GT4.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:25 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

$75 for a template?!?!

My whole vent only cost me $75 on ebay.

Install is easy, traced it with a dry erase marker for my cut line, and it took less than an hour. Though I'd advise cutting while the bumper is still on the car, so it's not flexing in any weird way. Then clean up your mess and secure the vent in place with the bumper off. The trick is to cut smaller than you think you need and use a dremel to sand down any edges until the grille fits nicely in place.

More info here: https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...l#post15550642

Added the same mesh that I have been using.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:40 AM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereT
$75 for a template?!?!

The OEM Porsche part by itself is only around $40:

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=802-00

There are a few threads with loaner GT3 smile templates going around. I've got one that I picked up for my 986 Boxster but I never installed it (would require some trimming) but now that I have a 987 Cayman I may install it if I go the 3rd radiator route, hoping to find a definitive DIY that covers venting, etc. I'll check out your thread!
Old 04-02-2019, 10:55 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Originally Posted by steved0x
The OEM Porsche part by itself is only around $40:

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=802-00
Wow! I searched high and low when I bought mine. Cheapest price I could find with that exact part number was $65 + shipping.
Though is the OEM part designed for aftermarket application, or is it designed to clip into the GT3 bumper?
Old 04-02-2019, 01:24 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

$75 for a template?!?!

Install is easy, traced it with a dry erase marker for my cut line, and it took less than an hour. Though I'd advise cutting while the bumper is still on the car, so it's not flexing in any weird way. Then clean up your mess and secure the vent in place with the bumper off. The trick is to cut smaller than you think you need and use a dremel to sand down any edges until the grille fits nicely in place.

More info here: https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...l#post15550642

Added the same mesh that I have been using.

Nice, thanks for sharing. Looks perfect! Did you buy an actual kit that included hardware to secure it to the bumper as well as a grill? I was looking at just the vent on Suncoast, but it does include hardware to secure it. If I do get the one from Rennline I'll exclude the template.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:31 PM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Nice, thanks for sharing. Looks perfect! Did you buy an actual kit that included hardware to secure it to the bumper as well as a grill? I was looking at just the vent on Suncoast, but it does include hardware to secure it. If I do get the one from Rennline I'll exclude the template.
I honestly can't remember if it came with the hardware or not. I want to say it did not... I have boxes of nuts and bolts from other builds, so I haven't had to go to the hardware store in years.

The grille was just some left over mesh I had from doing my radiator grilles. It's $2 black powder coated gutter guard mesh.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:24 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

I honestly can't remember if it came with the hardware or not. I want to say it did not... I have boxes of nuts and bolts from other builds, so I haven't had to go to the hardware store in years.

The grille was just some left over mesh I had from doing my radiator grilles. It's $2 black powder coated gutter guard mesh.
Thanks for the info!
Old 04-02-2019, 09:53 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

I installed the rennline kit and I used the template. One thing I've learned over time is it's cheaper to buy the right tool for the job.

I'd be happy to lend you mine if I can remember where I put it.

Either way, use the template. It's worth the peace of mind and you'll be lamenting the $75 if the cutting tool (sawzall) gets away from you and you ruin the bumper cover.

Plus you don't have to worry about extra trimming afterwards with a dremel.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:32 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

The rennline hardware kit is very nice but it looks like you can secure it without it, possibly by sandwiching the bumper between the smile bottom and the mesh. I'll see if i can post a pic of the underside of the vent.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:23 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Tidy is right though that factory design vents down anyway unless you use different ducting. I know NameTaken posted about someone using different ducting (or fabbing ducting) to vent up with the smile, but unless you do that it's not a functional piece IMO.
The following users liked this post:
fnel1771 (07-31-2020)

Quick Reply: Anyone here using the Rennline GT3 Bumper Vent?