Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm convinced I've discovered the best kept secret in the sports car world.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 10:45 AM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default I'm convinced I've discovered the best kept secret in the sports car world.

The 987.2 Boxster is a gem.

I'm not saying I'm the first person to come to this realization...I know I'm not...but I'm definitely a believer now. I also realize that as far as Porsche ownership goes, I'm still a novice. I've owned 4 different Porsche sports cars (listed in my signature) and have driven maybe 4 or 5 others, but I know that doesn't compare to many of you. But I consider myself a "regular guy," meaning that while I've done decently well financially, I'm far from independently wealthy. I have a job, a wife and 3 kids, a mortgage, colleges and weddings to plan for... all of the things that I consider part of the normal middle to upper middle class American experience. I don't have the disposable income to buy a $100K car and then drive it 3K miles per year, but I also have practical needs that makes daily driving a sports car very impractical for me. I did that in grad school and as a young professional, but can't swing that now. Enter the Boxster.

I'll admit, I've always been a bit leery about the Boxster. I fell into the trap of thinking the 911 was the only Porsche... then the smaller trap of thinking well, ok, there are other Porsche sports cars outside of the 911, but the Boxster is still a chick car. Then I finally drove one. Why have you all kept this secret from me? You can pick up a well-sorted 987 Boxster for under $25K. .1 S or .2 Base. You can find some .2 S models for right around that range too. The PDK is wonderful, which drew me to the .2. It's amazing how much car you can get for the money. Truly amazing. I won't go on and on about the driving experience, because there are a hundred other posts and reviews that have said it better, but I will say this... it will be hard to convince me that there are other cars out there that are 2-4x more fun than this car is. Would I love to have a $100K budget to buy a toy? Sure. But even if I did, I don't know that I'd need to spend that much.

What a car.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:52 AM
PhillyNate
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

If only the rest of enthusiast car market knew what we already know..
People are extremely obtuse in reference to these cars simply and stupidly because they are not 911’s.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:53 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

You hit the nail on the head about 987.1 and 987.2. Saw your reply in the other (981 Spyder) thread too. I just picked up a 05 Box S myself (pic & link in my sig), with no budget constraints of any kind — the pristine shape, the color combo, and the roadster/$ arbitrage were just too good to resist Enjoy your new ride!
Old 03-31-2019, 11:20 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by PhillyNate
If only the rest of enthusiast car market knew what we already know..
People are extremely obtuse in reference to these cars simply and stupidly because they are not 911’s.
991/911 Owner here... I'm ridiculously excited waiting for mine to arrive. I was excited to be getting a 911 when I got the 991.1S. I am excited about driving in anticipation of the Boxster. Semantics maybe but it's the best way I can describe it.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:32 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
The 987.2 Boxster is a gem.... it will be hard to convince me that there are other cars out there that are 2-4x more fun than this car is.....
What a car.
Well said and so true. Unloved by many not in the know. If only they knew what they’re missing.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:38 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Well said and so true. Unloved by many not in the know. If only they knew what they’re missing.
Don't tell them! Look at the Honda S2000 and what's happened the last couple of years! I started my search looking those but for the same Money as a a clean S2K I got a clean 987.2S! Parts cost go up to when people catch on so hush please - keep it to yourself.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:43 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

^^^^^
The secrete is safe with me. Shhhhhhhhhh
Old 03-31-2019, 12:05 PM
BobRx
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by vbb
The 987.2 Boxster is a gem.

I'm not saying I'm the first person to come to this realization...I know I'm not...but I'm definitely a believer now. I also realize that as far as Porsche ownership goes, I'm still a novice. I've owned 4 different Porsche sports cars (listed in my signature) and have driven maybe 4 or 5 others, but I know that doesn't compare to many of you. But I consider myself a "regular guy," meaning that while I've done decently well financially, I'm far from independently wealthy. I have a job, a wife and 3 kids, a mortgage, colleges and weddings to plan for... all of the things that I consider part of the normal middle to upper middle class American experience. I don't have the disposable income to buy a $100K car and then drive it 3K miles per year, but I also have practical needs that makes daily driving a sports car very impractical for me. I did that in grad school and as a young professional, but can't swing that now. Enter the Boxster.

I'll admit, I've always been a bit leery about the Boxster. I fell into the trap of thinking the 911 was the only Porsche... then the smaller trap of thinking well, ok, there are other Porsche sports cars outside of the 911, but the Boxster is still a chick car. Then I finally drove one. Why have you all kept this secret from me? You can pick up a well-sorted 987 Boxster for under $25K. .1 S or .2 Base. You can find some .2 S models for right around that range too. The PDK is wonderful, which drew me to the .2. It's amazing how much car you can get for the money. Truly amazing. I won't go on and on about the driving experience, because there are a hundred other posts and reviews that have said it better, but I will say this... it will be hard to convince me that there are other cars out there that are 2-4x more fun than this car is. Would I love to have a $100K budget to buy a toy? Sure. But even if I did, I don't know that I'd need to spend that much.

What a car.
VBB I am right there with you.
I had had a couple Porsches before but had gone a few years without one due to putting 2 boys through college and other life expenses. I intended to buy a 987.2 or 981, but ended up with a 987.1 RS 60 Spyder with low miles that I just bought via BAT.com. Took my first long top down drive yesterday, and despite pushing 11 years old the car still turns heads. I stopped for gas and the gas station attendant (Yes we still have them in NJ, best thing about living here) had to have me take his picture with the car. Man did I miss the performance and the thrill of driving in the open! The Honda I had was perfectly utilitarian, kinda like a toaster. Got you there, never broke down, but had no spirit. This car is a whole different experience, and for less than the cost of a new Honda! Yes, there are a few issues of driving an older car that I am dealing with like the tacky radio ***** and lack of a USB port, but totally worth it. There is no substitute...

PS- Not sure if you are already aware, but consider getting "stated value" insurance. If your older car is wrecked the insurance company will only pay a small amount. I was able to obtain it thru Travellers very reasonably.

Rob
Old 03-31-2019, 12:20 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Same can be said about the Caymans, of course. Prefer driving my Cayman to a 911 just about any day. (And I always feel like a jerk saying I don't love driving a "Porsche 911.")
Old 03-31-2019, 12:23 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

To the OP, you have a similar Porsche path to mine - searching for the ultimate sports car and I too believe the Boxster gets as close to it as anything else on the market.

2011 Boxster Spyder
1998 993 C2S
2014 981 Cayman
2011 Boxster Spyder
2008 TT Cab
2006 C2S

This being said, there is some whiff of a rumour that a "drivers" 2019 Carrera T is currently being assembled and due to hit the stable in late May.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:25 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRx

....I stopped for gas and the gas station attendant (Yes we still have them in NJ, best thing about living here).....

Funny, as I was driving around southern CA last week and was marveling at its beauty, I was thinking the exact same thing.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:55 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Whats the best year Cayman ? Got to be the flat 6 though.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:33 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

The 987 overall is a HUGELY underrated Porsche.

I’ve owned my 987.2 longer than any other car and I don’t have any intention of selling it. I’ve debated selling it in the past to try something new but when I start researching ANY other car I come away realizing that for me the Spyder is still the perfect sports car and there’s nothing else I would rather have even for 2x the money. Porsche melded the best parts of what it has done over the past 60 years including a stiff chassis that thus far has proven to be bulletproof, a steering rack with incredible tactile feedback, mid engine layout for perfect balance and control, a very functional, focused and well laid out interior with no glitzy extras and a reliable flat six that delivers the perfect amount of power in a very controlled and predictble manner. The styling has aged well thus far although I do think some iterations of the 987 can benefit from wheel upgrades and other minor visual changes. I also think an aftermarket exhaust would enhance the experience if it doesn’t already have PSE. Adding X73 or some type of lowered suspension also enhances the experience and really lets you explore the upper limits. The 987 falls into the sweet spot in the sports car market, it’s hugely capable on twisty roads and yet it’s also fun even when not being pushed

Now if we were talking unlimited funds I would definitely replace it with a Carrera GT or 997.2 GT3 RS but both of those start falling into the getting arrested and thrown in jail categories of performance for the street.

Sadly like many Porches in history, it will take time for enthusiasts to discover it. In the meantime we can enjoy them at reasonable prices.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:11 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Being a skeptic (and maybe somewhat cynical) I am rarely surprised. But I was genuinely surprised when I first put this little 2.9L Boxster into Sport+ mode and started driving spiritedly. I actually parked it after the drive, got out, walked around it and thought to myself "wow... that was unexpected." For legal, non-track, spirited driving on twisty back roads and on/off ramps, this car is EVERY BIT as fun as any of the other cars I've owned, some with nearly triple the MSRP.

I'm pretty sure that finding a 987 Spyder or Cayman R would be the forever keeper for me. I'm almost afraid to drive one because I'm so satisfied with my Boxster right now. Thinking of a car that improves everything that makes my current car so great seems almost unbelievable.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:38 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
Whats the best year Cayman ? Got to be the flat 6 though.
Sometimes people will ask about the best cigar and I will say its the one I am smoking at the moment. There's a couple other threads with this question sprinkled throughout. My opinion is a 987.2/ 2009-2012 primarily because of the DFI engine. YMMV.

Quick Reply: I'm convinced I've discovered the best kept secret in the sports car world.