Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing Boxster 987 with tow dolly

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 10:31 PM
patrickkirby
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Towing Boxster 987 with tow dolly

Anyone have experience towing a 987 with a tow dolly ? Thinking of towing my Boxster track car to the next event. Wondering if its okay to tow front facing and the car out of gear (6 speed). I realize it may be better to tow rear facing but would need to strap down the steering wheel. Appreciate any thoughts.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:52 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You’ll need to find a towing guide that includes that specific model. There are online databases but I can’t recall the name. It’s very model specific, and some cars say you can flat tow for X minutes, then have to stop, run the car in neutral for a few minutes, and then continue to flat tow. That’s why you see so many Jeep Wranglers and CRV’s towerd behind RV’s. They’re among the few cars that can be safely flat towed.

In short, I highly doubt you can do it. Most modern cars aren’t designed to be towed with the driven wheels on the ground, even in neutral, because the transmission needs to stay lubricated with the engine running. You could flat tow with the engine running I suppose. But check an online database.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:57 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Found it: here’s a common one that RV folks check.

http://www.remcotowing.com/Towing/Store.php
Old 03-21-2019, 05:44 PM
A1Aflorida
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Porsche is not on the drop-down list???
Old 03-21-2019, 06:07 PM
motoring
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my guess is porsche has never made a model that could be flat towed. at least not since the 356.

Here is my understanding, the specifics may be off the but the general idea is correct.
oil sits in the bottom of the transmission case and in normal operation is splashed around by the lower gear set on the input shaft, then carrying oil up to the gears on the output shaft running to the diff.
When flat towed, the diff spins the output shaft, which is disconnected from the input shaft in neutral/out of gear), so no oil splashing around. fairly quick transmission failure.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:38 AM
ruth
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I think OP means tow dolly with only 2 wheels on the ground. Probably not the drive wheels. Miata people have done it, but I don’t recall if it was rear or front facing.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:01 AM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

I've towed my 987 Cayman with an auto transporter from Uhaul on more than 1 occasion.

Is that an option for you ?
Old 03-22-2019, 09:36 AM
blue44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have done the u-haul van and trailer for a couple of Canadian events, few worries about road conditions and if you have any sort of issue at the event the trailer will be a requirement anyway... Cheers, Donn
Old 03-22-2019, 11:22 AM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 268 Posts

What's your reason for towing? Do you need to transport a spare set of track wheels/tires, or do you just want to keep the miles off your track car?
Old 03-22-2019, 10:12 PM
patrickkirby
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Have had two occasions of driving to the track and trailer home (clutch failure and radiator hose burst). I will do about 6-8 track events per year. I'm thinking the Uhaul trailer is the best bet, was considering buying a dolly to keep at the house. No room for a trailer.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:00 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by patrickkirby
Have had two occasions of driving to the track and trailer home (clutch failure and radiator hose burst). I will do about 6-8 track events per year. I'm thinking the Uhaul trailer is the best bet, was considering buying a dolly to keep at the house. No room for a trailer.
I too drive to track days (up to about 3 hours one way) and am kind of in the same boat. No problems yet, but if I were to break down, I'd rent the Uhaul trailer and probably the full auto transport, not the dolly. I've used the Uhaul dolly for other cars in the past, but would prefer not for the Porsche unless I had no other choice. Whether FWD or RWD, I've always put the non-driven wheels to roll on the pavement.

Sounds like you've had a string of bad luck, but you don't expect it to continue, do you? I'd stick with driving the car to the track.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:57 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

If you get an Auto transport, get a couple of 2 X 6 boards to help with the clearance driving on and off.

Quick Reply: Towing Boxster 987 with tow dolly