Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolent/Temp warning

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 11:45 PM
SomnoBoost
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by badabing
My car did something like this after a coolant system service while I was working to purge the air.

Where did you buy the coolant? Dealer? Keep in mind it has to be mixed with distilled water 50/50.

Also on my experience cracking the filler cap ever so slightly causes the coolant to come rushing from the reservoir to the fill cap and vent out some vent hose. Makes a mess inside the engine bay and causes more coolant loss.

Before starting out fill it up cold with the 50/50 mix. Then drive until fully warm. Turn on the heat at full blast and max temp and drive around varying the rpm a lot.

Bring coolant with you for the ride just in case.

Stay close to home and keep and eye on that gauge. If it starts to climb past the halfway point immediately pull over and shut down.

Wait 15 mins and head home. Stop again if need be.

Let the car sit a few hours and check the level.

You may need to repeat this several times over the course of a few days to work all the air out.
Well I added the coolant and it certainly was low. It took adding 4 liters to fill it (2 litres water, 2 liters coolant). EDIT: Duhh... I didn't use the full 4 litres, I forgot that I dumped some coolant back into the bottle. But probably close to 3 total.
I did what you said, filled it up, drove around, revved it up, heat, etc. Once the motor got up to temp it never budged above 175 degrees. No coolant warning lights. Car has been sitting for 3 hours now with no leaks. I'm going to check the level in the morning and if it holds, I'm going to drive it to work, keeping the coolant and water in the front trunk. I'll update what I find.
Thanks a lot for your help. Thanks to everyone.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:21 AM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

An oil service will not cause coolant to be low or introduce air into the system. I'm willing to bet they never even checked the coolant level.

3L is a lot of coolant to be missing.

How long have you owned this car?

I'd keep the coolant in the car and continue checking the level before each drive and again after the car has cooled down.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:01 AM
SomnoBoost
Instructor

Originally Posted by badabing
An oil service will not cause coolant to be low or introduce air into the system. I'm willing to bet they never even checked the coolant level.

3L is a lot of coolant to be missing.

How long have you owned this car?

I'd keep the coolant in the car and continue checking the level before each drive and again after the car has cooled down.
I’ve owned it less than a year. Put about 4,000 miles on it. I assume I looked at the coolant level when I first got it and went through the car but I honestly can’t remember. Nothing stands out.
I checked the coolant level this morning and it’s right where it was last night, except 2-3 mm lower. Which would be normal drop after adding then driving.

I’m keeping water and coolant with me. And I’m going to arrange to have it looked when I can.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:35 AM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 408 Likes on 270 Posts

Sounds like it may have been very slow evaporation over a long time period, or a SUPER tiny leak that only leaks when the engine is taken to very high RPMs (when the coolant system pressure is at its highest)
Old 03-22-2019, 05:09 PM
SomnoBoost
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zach L
Sounds like it may have been very slow evaporation over a long time period, or a SUPER tiny leak that only leaks when the engine is taken to very high RPMs (when the coolant system pressure is at its highest)
Yeah that makes the most sense at this point. I just don't understand why the Low Coolant light only just came on. How low does it have to go to send a warning??
Old 03-23-2019, 10:23 AM
tomhartzell
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by SomnoBoost
I just don't understand why the Low Coolant light only just came on. How low does it have to go to send a warning??
I had the water pump replaced under CPO warranty on my '12 CS, and the Low Coolant light came on four months later when the car was parked off-camber. Dealership recommended the procedure you used in your post #16. It can take a long time (i.e. weeks) to bleed the air out of the coolant system, but it's been the same level for seven months now.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:31 PM
Louptodd
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem pretty regularly. I have a 2018 Boxster. The Coolant Light comes on quite often with a dire warning to stop immediately. I have stopped and checked the coolant and it seems fine. I have also topped it up a bit but it never seems to need much. I have checked under the car and see no leak. Was driving some distance the other day on business. The light came on with the temperature around 240. I stopped for a minute or two, restarted the car and everything seemed to be back to normal. Last time I took it in the dealer said that it is not a big deal but this seems bad to me. I am going to take it back this week again.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:17 AM
Shock28
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had this same thing on my 2009 987.2. Thread below. Has been totally fine ever since.
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...temp-rise.html
Old 06-01-2020, 08:44 AM
PGuy2010
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What coolant do you recommend? Do you have to use Porsche brand or is Zerox ok?
Old 06-01-2020, 09:26 AM
Shock28
Track Day

Originally Posted by PGuy2010
What coolant do you recommend? Do you have to use Porsche brand or is Zerox ok?
I used an after-market one that was Porsche approved. As long as Porsche is mentioned on it, I'm sure you are fine.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:20 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Zerex G40. They sell it concentrate and premix. Buy the concentrate and mix 50/50 with DISTILLED WATER.

Also Pentosin Pentofrost E
Old 06-04-2020, 12:53 PM
oachs83
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I also have a 2009 base and when I bought the car in the first week of ownership this exact same thing happened to me. I too freaked a bit as the car only has 19k miles. I filled it up and it was 1.5L low. I took it for a drive and nothing went wrong all seemed good.

A couple days later I came home from an hour drive and had it parked in my driveway and my neighbors came over and we talked around the car. After about 5 minutes after shutoff I started hearing a sizzle noise and then some coolant started dripping in front of my passenger rear tire. I removed the engine cover and saw that it was leaking out of my coolant reservoir cap. It’s the cap you have to remove the engine cover to see not the fill cap.

The thing is it was not much that leaked out and it happened minutes after shutdown so I figure when I parked in my garage that’s why I never heard it and it was small amount to where it probably evaporated the next time I took out the car.

I replaced the cap and now have gone 1k miles with no issues.

The following users liked this post:
Shock28 (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 01:35 PM
Shock28
Track Day

Originally Posted by oachs83
I also have a 2009 base and when I bought the car in the first week of ownership this exact same thing happened to me. I too freaked a bit as the car only has 19k miles. I filled it up and it was 1.5L low. I took it for a drive and nothing went wrong all seemed good.

A couple days later I came home from an hour drive and had it parked in my driveway and my neighbors came over and we talked around the car. After about 5 minutes after shutoff I started hearing a sizzle noise and then some coolant started dripping in front of my passenger rear tire. I removed the engine cover and saw that it was leaking out of my coolant reservoir cap. It’s the cap you have to remove the engine cover to see not the fill cap.

The thing is it was not much that leaked out and it happened minutes after shutdown so I figure when I parked in my garage that’s why I never heard it and it was small amount to where it probably evaporated the next time I took out the car.

I replaced the cap and now have gone 1k miles with no issues.
Interesting, this is good info! You'd think that you would easily smell the sweet coolant in the car, but perhaps they did a real good job of sealing it off. Should also be able to smell from the outside but like you said perhaps it was such a small amount and not noticeable.

Thanks again
Old 06-04-2020, 02:03 PM
oachs83
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I could see the path the leak took from the slight white residue. It came from the cap, down the reservoir container, down a coolant hose that then hit the ground so I am not sure I would have smelled it in the car and it was not a whole lot but after time it could add up. I also Googled the issue and it seems that this is a known issue with the cap and the part has been revised.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:10 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

Yeah, it's a common failure. Expansion caps are a wear item on pretty much all cars. They need to relieve pressure over a certain value as the coolant expands, and then also let air in to relieve vacuum as the system cools down: there are seals and valves in there that eventually wear out.

Quick Reply: Coolent/Temp warning