Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Grills for the Porsche 987 and 981 Boxster and Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 03:36 PM
gartzspeed
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too am looking for front grills for my 987.2 Spyder.

Make them, and I will buy them, even with the $75 shipping to Canada it will inevitably it will be
Old 04-06-2019, 05:10 PM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 333 Likes on 213 Posts

@itsujack
@gartzspeed
Here’s the first photo of the 987.2 Spyder prototype grill, ready for production! More photos coming soon!

Porsche Boxster Spyder 987.2 Side Intake Grill from www.radiatorgrillstore.com
Old 04-06-2019, 06:01 PM
itsujack
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RGS
@itsujack
@gartzspeed
Here’s the first photo of the 987.2 Spyder prototype grill, ready for production! More photos coming soon!

Porsche Boxster Spyder 987.2 Side Intake Grill from www.radiatorgrillstore.com
Thanks, but I'm only interested in the front grilles for the Spyder, they are different to the standard car.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:06 AM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by itsujack
Thanks, but I'm only interested in the front grilles for the Spyder, they are different to the standard car.
Sounds good! Looks like itsujack is selling his spyder!! Anybody else interested in special model radiator protection?

RGS
- Radiator Grille Store

OEM Look, Economical Protection
www.radiatorgrillestore.com

Old 04-10-2019, 11:03 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Didn't see 987.1 Boxster S front grilles? Are the side intake grilles prices per unit or per pair?
https://www.radiatorgrillstore.com/p...e-intake-grill
Thx.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:25 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Has anyone used these while at a track day and monitored oil and coolant temps? I'd love to keep the leaves and debris out of my car, but the physical presence of the mesh cuts down on air flow and I'm worried about overheating fluids.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:17 PM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Scooby921
Has anyone used these while at a track day and monitored oil and coolant temps? I'd love to keep the leaves and debris out of my car, but the physical presence of the mesh cuts down on air flow and I'm worried about overheating fluids.
I have used them at the track and didn't notice any difference, but I am going on the Porsche stock gauges as the data point. I am also not that fast LOL!
Old 04-11-2019, 03:18 PM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by hf1
Didn't see 987.1 Boxster S front grilles? Are the side intake grilles prices per unit or per pair?
https://www.radiatorgrillstore.com/p...e-intake-grill
Thx.
Prices are for the pair. I am working on 987.2 front grilles now. I haven't prototyped the 987.1's yet.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:46 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby921
I don't have a direct answer for you but some relevant info. I sympathize because I used to wonder exactly the same thing. Long story short, my temps are fine.

I have grille mesh screens on my car. I made them myself from gutter mesh screens from Home Depot - I would've bought them from OP but none were available. There used to be another vendor on another site who made mesh screens, but it has been out of business for several years (I had those screens on my previous Spyder).

Being gutter mesh, air flow is definitely much more restrictive compared to GT3/GT4 mesh screens. If you look at both up close you'll see what I mean. This restrictive mesh has been a big concern of mine. I also have a 3rd radiator (bought a kit from Suncoast and had my indy install).

This year I have been monitoring oil temp, coolant temp, oil pressure, etc., with Solo DL. I push the car hard pretty close to the car's limit. The highest oil temp I've logged so far (cool/cold weather) is 241. Usually 216 to 230 ish. I *think* the temps are lower if I run the car heater. It makes sense though I don't have enough of a sample size yet to confirm.

I'm sorry I don't have temp comparisons of pre-mesh vs. post-mesh or pre-3rd radiator vs. post-3rd radiator, but it appears that temps are fine with a 3rd radiator and mesh screens even when driven very hard. At least in cool weather. Another member measured pre- and post- 3rd radiator on Cayman R, and it's definitely a big help. HTH.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:53 PM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here’s a customer with a beautiful black 981 Porsche Cayman who went with the full Radiator Grill Store Radiator grill package. Take a look, looks great!

Porsche Cayman 981 Radiator Grille Mesh www.radiatorgrillstore.com

Porsche Cayman 981 Radiator Grille Mesh www.radiatorgrillstore.com

Porsche Cayman 981 Radiator Side Grille Mesh www.radiatorgrillstore.com

Porsche Cayman 981 Side Intake Grille Mesh www.radiatorgrillstore.com
Old 04-21-2019, 10:01 AM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts
Default 987.2 BS radiator grilles by RGS

For 6 hours yesterday, I enjoyed the long postponed in person, car in the flesh get together with Eric of RGS. I had “volunteered ‘ my CS color matched side grills for mesh fitment templates previously and we had worked remotely on several itinerations for the front side radiators with improved but still not quite “right” results. Since spring was sprung here and the weather was not a factor for the 1 hour drive between our respective residences, Eric came over about 1:30 with the hatch of his 981CS full to the gills with his tools, cutters, templates and powder coated mesh to get itt “right” in person for future customer install satisfaction.
6 hours and at least 5 or 6 ever closer/better trimming and forming with plastids- drying and grille lip edging affixed efforts later andwith the help of hair dryer and my “ best helper ever” accolade from Eric still ringing in my ears, the job was accomplished to his “standard of satisfaction “. I hope he posts pix that he took during this process. For us Macan owners, Hope is imminent that RGS DIY versions will be forthcoming—but time and energy (beer and respective wives too) ran short and we will get together again for the continued trial and error tedious and skill required job of creating the necessary templates for the various Macan front radiator grille fascia screens.
i am most pleased with the end results and candidly was amazed at the time, effort and skill Eric demonstrated to perfect a ‘complicated” and intricate fitment. My minty Zunsport exterior affixed grille guards will be posted in Classified section shortly. No affiliation noted but obviously brethren Porsche enthusiasts —him with more patience and anality than me!
Old 04-21-2019, 12:45 PM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Van Larson
For 6 hours yesterday, I enjoyed the long postponed in person, car in the flesh get together with Eric of RGS. I had “volunteered ‘ my CS color matched side grills for mesh fitment templates previously and we had worked remotely on several itinerations for the front side radiators with improved but still not quite “right” results. Since spring was sprung here and the weather was not a factor for the 1 hour drive between our respective residences, Eric came over about 1:30 with the hatch of his 981CS full to the gills with his tools, cutters, templates and powder coated mesh to get itt “right” in person for future customer install satisfaction.
6 hours and at least 5 or 6 ever closer/better trimming and forming with plastids- drying and grille lip edging affixed efforts later andwith the help of hair dryer and my “ best helper ever” accolade from Eric still ringing in my ears, the job was accomplished to his “standard of satisfaction “. I hope he posts pix that he took during this process. For us Macan owners, Hope is imminent that RGS DIY versions will be forthcoming—but time and energy (beer and respective wives too) ran short and we will get together again for the continued trial and error tedious and skill required job of creating the necessary templates for the various Macan front radiator grille fascia screens.
i am most pleased with the end results and candidly was amazed at the time, effort and skill Eric demonstrated to perfect a ‘complicated” and intricate fitment. My minty Zunsport exterior affixed grille guards will be posted in Classified section shortly. No affiliation noted but obviously brethren Porsche enthusiasts —him with more patience and anality than me!
thank you so much Van for your time, patience and the helping hand! The beer too! Great working with you and here are the fruits of our labor. Along with some shots of your side intake grills! Thanks again!

Porsche 987.2 Boxster front radiator grill mesh www.radiatorgrillstore.com

Porsche 987.2 Boxster front radiator grill protection www.radiatorgrillstore.com

Porsche 987.2 Boxster front radiator grill screen www.radiatorgrillstore.com

Porsche 987.2 Boxster 2009-2012 front radiator grill mesh www.radiatorgrillstore.com

Porsche 987.2 Cayman (Boxster retro on this case) side intake grill mesh www.radiatorgrillstore.com

Porsche 987.2 Cayman (Boxster retro on this case) side intake grill mesh www.radiatorgrillstore.com

Last edited by RGS; 04-21-2019 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:23 PM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Surfndav
I don't see any front grills for a 2009-2012 987.2, How come why?
987.2 Boxster and Cayman grills are available! We don’t have photos of the Cayman grills yet.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:59 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

Eric, your photos of my side CS grilles should also be applicable to 987.2 CS oem grilles, just fyi.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:45 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

What color is that 987.2 Boxster?

Quick Reply: Radiator Grills for the Porsche 987 and 981 Boxster and Cayman