Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Cayman S Price Check

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 07:41 PM
thegoatfarmer
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 981 Cayman S Price Check

Hi all,

I have an offer accepted on a 981 CS from a private seller pending a succesful PPI. It's a four owner car, but the third owner had the car for less than a month, according to the current owner, due to a divorce. Current owner (#4) has driven the car for the last 20,000 miles. Clean Carfax, and service records. Notable options below:

2014 Cayman S
55K Miles

BASE Cayman S
423 20" Carrera S Wheels
XDH Wheels Platinum Satin
480 Manual Transmission
680 Bose Stereo System
840 Sport Design Steering Wheel
P04 Sport Seats Plus (2-Way)
P9A Convenience Package
XLF Sports Exhaust System
Y8 Mahogany Metallic
MSRP: $73,680

Negotiated price is $40K. Car is on the west coast and will be relocated to the east coast. I've been tracking the 981 market, but there are few examples of 981 CS's w/ MT to draw comparisons to. There are a few listed currently with similar MSRP's, slightly lower mileage (~45K), listed between $44-45K. CarGuru's instant value shows it between a fair and good deal.

Anyone else recently purchase a 981 CS? Does this seem like a fair deal all things considered? Thanks.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:09 PM
skillz1318
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha I was looking at that car and talking to seller. It’s a beautiful car and pending a PPI sounds fair. I had to pass when I realized it didn’t have XM or bluetooth audio and for my daily driver is a requirement. I was going to offer slightly less but that’s definitely a good deal.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:33 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

It really depends upon what YOU value.

That car: $40k ask, $73k MSRP, and 55k miles.

Another car: $55k ask, $90k MSRP (with MT, Sports Exhaust, Sport Chrono, and PTV, which is very rare), and 28k miles.

Let's say you drove the first car 30k miles and sold it for, say, $25k. Your 30k miles cost you $15k, or $0.50/mile.

Now drive the second car 30k miles and sell it for, say, $40k (for which there's a pretty strong case, given your example above). Your 30k miles cost you the same $15k, or $0.50/mile.

In which car would you prefer to have the 30k/$15k experience?

If you have any interest in Door #2, let me know. :-)
Old 03-20-2019, 10:17 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

I think that's a fair price. It's pretty lightly optioned, if you care, but that's amongst the cheapest 981CS's out there and it has some good drivers' options that make up for the lack of extras.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:32 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
I think that's a fair price. It's pretty lightly optioned, if you care, but that's amongst the cheapest 981CS's out there and it has some good drivers' options that make up for the lack of extras.
Agreed. Good price, in part because it's lightly optioned. If it checks out otherwise, go for it.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:13 PM
thegoatfarmer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by skillz1318
Haha I was looking at that car and talking to seller. It’s a beautiful car and pending a PPI sounds fair. I had to pass when I realized it didn’t have XM or bluetooth audio and for my daily driver is a requirement. I was going to offer slightly less but that’s definitely a good deal.
Well I'm glad you pointed this out. I assumed the Bose option included the better CDR+ unit, but turns out that's not the case. Not a deal breaker though, as it appears there are some good aftermarket bluetooth options that utilize the aux-in that you can tuck into the glovebox.

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
It really depends upon what YOU value.

That car: $40k ask, $73k MSRP, and 55k miles.

Another car: $55k ask, $90k MSRP (with MT, Sports Exhaust, Sport Chrono, and PTV, which is very rare), and 28k miles.

Let's say you drove the first car 30k miles and sold it for, say, $25k. Your 30k miles cost you $15k, or $0.50/mile.

Now drive the second car 30k miles and sell it for, say, $40k (for which there's a pretty strong case, given your example above). Your 30k miles cost you the same $15k, or $0.50/mile.

In which car would you prefer to have the 30k/$15k experience?

If you have any interest in Door #2, let me know. :-)
Thanks for your reply. Even if I preferred the experience of "door #2", the unmentioned factor here is... budget. Regardless of relative mileage cost, door #2 is more expensive upfront. I saw the option sheet you posted on your car -- quite nice! GLWS.

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Wish it had PDLS, and maybe 14-way seats / CDR+, but I think I can look past them. This will be my first PCar, so fortunately I don't have a higher optioned vehicle to compare it to. Can't miss something if you didn't have it in the first place! Thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted by Drew_K
Agreed. Good price, in part because it's lightly optioned. If it checks out otherwise, go for it.
PPI is tomorrow -- fingers crossed!
Old 03-21-2019, 08:05 AM
Lvanpelt729
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

I think you'll be extremely happy with the 2 ways sport seats. I had those in my cayman. Set the drivers seat to the right spot one time and you'll never need to move it. I found them very comfy and positioned perfectly. I also did the Bluetooth aux trick in mine and never had an issue with it, works great! Sounds like a good deal to me.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:46 PM
thegoatfarmer
Intermediate

PPI came back clean and I bought it. Thanks all for the input. My first Porsche; can’t describe how excited I am!
Old 03-23-2019, 10:34 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

You are going to LOVE it! Enjoy all the miles!

...It may be your first, but likely won't be your last. It's a slippery slope from here. :-)

Quick Reply: 981 Cayman S Price Check