Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What affects value more - curb rash or refinish?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 10:18 AM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Default What affects value more - curb rash or refinish?

Have a rashed wheels. Not horrible, just thin line along the rim. I can easily touch up with silver paint. Which leaves the rash but it's much less noticeable. Or refinish wheel and powdercoat it. Which would look perfect but be a repaint. Eventually going to sell the car. Which option will affect the car's value most negatively in the eyes of buyers? Existing rash or disclosed (I disclose everything) refinish/repaint?
Old 03-19-2019, 10:22 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Wheel refinishing is wear & tear. Normal. A quality repair is about $100/wheel. Give or take. Make the car as perfect as possible, for both your enjoyment and best future resale. Save receipt and provide for next owner to review as part of the car's history.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:35 AM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Wheel refinishing is wear & tear. Normal. A quality repair is about $100/wheel. Give or take. Make the car as perfect as possible, for both your enjoyment and best future resale. Save receipt and provide for next owner to review as part of the car's history.
That's an excellent observation. My specialty wheels place takes more than gives ;-) $225 for a combined wheel straightening, lathing down the rash, and then removing existing finish and powder coating new finish. One concern I've got it color matching, since it's only one wheel. Hence one will see the front and the back at the same time - making a mismatch (if it exists) more easily perceived. If both on the side were being done then there'd be no issue.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:05 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Interesting, relevant thread. I have the Carrera S 20s, but mine are gloss black with the silver lip; I wanted the solid color without the lip, either satin platinum or black (I've tried to trade and/or buy others' wheels on here previously). Brand new, they're $6k+ a set just for the wheels... powdercoating I'm at around $225 a wheel as well. The shop I'm considering uses a multi-stage process that's supposed to maintain the integrity of the wheel, so that's cool.

I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on it but I just decided to YOLO and I'll be doing it in a week.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:31 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

I think most people would view mismatched wheel colors to be the worse option, but paint matching seems to be done really well these days. So if you go that route and provide the receipt, that should be more than enough.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:39 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Best solution is buy a replacement wheel. That's what I'd do, but I'm OCD and curbing a wheel is an atrocity to me. Second best is to refinish. Worst is to leave it there or do a bad touch up job. Might be unfair, but anytime I see as used car with curb rash on the wheels, I assume that the car wasn't well cared for.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:08 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Best solution is buy a replacement wheel. That's what I'd do, but I'm OCD and curbing a wheel is an atrocity to me. Second best is to refinish. Worst is to leave it there or do a bad touch up job. Might be unfair, but anytime I see as used car with curb rash on the wheels, I assume that the car wasn't well cared for.
But if the wheel is several years old, you'll have a color mismatch. It's been about ten years, but I had a wheel touched up by a mobile wheel repair guy. I had curb rash on one of the wheels of my 997. The tech repaired it perfectly. Even though I knew exactly where the damage was, I couldn't see any evidence of a repair. He sanded the damaged area and matched the paint perfectly. At that time I was charged $70, and it took him about 20 minutes to complete the job.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:00 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

i'd rather not see curb rash, appears there are quality re-finish options available.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:32 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I’ve had repair jobs done on ‘normal’ wheels (where I couldn’t see the repair or tell the difference) but that has NOT been my experience with the ‘hyper-silver’ (or whatever Porsche calls the finish on the most common ‘Carrera S’ rims for the 991/981). No one could get it to look OEM (to my eye) so I replaced with new. Have not seen a refinished one yet that matches OEM.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:12 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Refinish it. Seeing rash on a wheel would be a bigger detractor in my eyes.

Quick Reply: What affects value more - curb rash or refinish?