Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 GTS 3rd gear failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 10:54 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 981 GTS 3rd gear failure

Howdy,

Sad that my reason for registering is because of a transmission failure (long time lurker). One weird variable is that I just shipped the car to Germany from the States... This was the second drive I had gone on since arrival. 3rd gear felt a bit funky when I picked it up, but I attributed it to the fact that it had been sitting for 3 months or so. Also thought maybe one of the handlers handled it roughly in transit... but it sounds like my issue falls under the known transmission issue. I was accelerating hard in third and then no more gear. It will be interesting to see what the German dealership has to say tomorrow. I will report back if its anything interesting.

I posted in the GT4 forum to add to the sample size and I haven't seen too many reports of GTS's failing. My build month was 06/2016, zero track time... plenty of spirited back road driving.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:50 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Sorry to hear. As a fellow 981 GTS owner, definitely looking forward to hearing what the dealer has to say.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:09 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Sorry to hear about the gearbox troubles. But am interested to hear how the shipping of the car from the states to Germany went. Did you import it to keep it there? I'm about to go down that same road with my 911.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:35 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop
8th Gear

Got the car to the dealership. Service tech was blown away that there just simply wasn't a 3rd gear anymore. He was certain the transmission is different in the GTS vs the GT4, but everything I read says they share the same transmission (for my build month, anyway). He was aware that the GT4 had the recall ongoing.

Now, the interesting and scary part is that I just registered the car in Germany a week ago. This may have implications for my US warranty... apparently registering it here can convert it to the German rules... Germans only get a 2 year warranty and I have had the car for 2 and a half years. He thought the rule had changed to where they will honor my US, 4 year warranty, but he wasn't certain. So now I wait for the verdict on that. I hope that they do what's right for me as a customer. He seemed sure that I won't be paying for a new transmission. Crazy that it would have been moot if I still had my temp NATO tags. The timing of the failure will be either horribly unfortunate or not a big deal. I guess that is the fun of catastrophic mechanical failures.

I'll keep updating as I hear things. And I will give a quick run down of the shipping process in a bit.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:24 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Got the car to the dealership. Service tech was blown away that there just simply wasn't a 3rd gear anymore. He was certain the transmission is different in the GTS vs the GT4, but everything I read says they share the same transmission (for my build month, anyway). He was aware that the GT4 had the recall ongoing.

Now, the interesting and scary part is that I just registered the car in Germany a week ago. This may have implications for my US warranty... apparently registering it here can convert it to the German rules... Germans only get a 2 year warranty and I have had the car for 2 and a half years. He thought the rule had changed to where they will honor my US, 4 year warranty, but he wasn't certain. So now I wait for the verdict on that. I hope that they do what's right for me as a customer. He seemed sure that I won't be paying for a new transmission. Crazy that it would have been moot if I still had my temp NATO tags. The timing of the failure will be either horribly unfortunate or not a big deal. I guess that is the fun of catastrophic mechanical failures.

I'll keep updating as I hear things. And I will give a quick run down of the shipping process in a bit.
Hope it works out for you. I suspect it will. What is the projected cost if it goes customer pay?
Old 03-18-2019, 12:55 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

This sucks! Aside from inconvenience, mental agony and possibly some out of pocket expenses, I'm pretty sure Porsche will take care of you. This is a known issue. And, you moved from 4-year warranty to 2-year. So, I'm pretty confident that you wouldn't have to pay for a new tranny.

Is this the first non-GT4 failure that is shared on the forum? We are likely to have a few other same/similar failures to follow. On the upside, you're gonna have a brand new tranny!
Old 03-18-2019, 01:46 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

Sorry to hear about your trouble, really hope it works out.

I'm surprised the warranty is only for 2 years; is that common in Germany? Same for other manufacturers?
Old 03-18-2019, 01:55 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Good luck with the warranty although I suspect you won’t need it. Porsche has been pretty good about supporting customers for the most part.

So the bigger question, will Porsche honor replacements on these cars when they get past the warranty period? Something tells me they will cover it based upon what I have seen with the PDK failures but I do wonder when they will draw the line. Much of this will depend on the frequency I’m sure and thus far it’s been scarce except for the GT4.

Last edited by Marine Blue; 03-18-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:15 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop
8th Gear

Thanks for the support everyone. Ya, frustrating, but manageable. I think I saw one other GTS reported in an old thread. It is interesting... I am sure the failure would be more prone w/ the higher demands of the GT4 w/ the larger engine and potentially greater amount of track use. This is a weekend, back roads car for me. I push it, but not as much as I would on the track. I am curious now how much I really have been pushing it. I am thankful that I lost third relatively close to home and it didn't really put me in any danger.

Not sure why the difference exists in warranties in different markets. I just started digging. Before I left the states, I had read that Porsche's US warranty is honored world-wide. The piece I didn't see was that it matters where it is registered.

Side note: In my searches I found this article where someone in the military was stuck with warranty issues... looks like they ended up getting Toyota to play nice, but it took lawyers: https://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/08/29/military-couple-fights-car-companys-overseas-warranty-exception.html

Old 03-18-2019, 02:19 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

I'm betting Porsche will make it right.

Great callback with your username.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:18 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop
8th Gear

Got the car back today... so everything completed in one week.

Oddest interaction when I picked her up... not sure if it was because it was busy, language barrier (my German sucks, so we spoke in English), if they get frustrated with Americans or if this is just normal business... The service guy handed me the key, said ok! and shook my hand and said have a good day. He was about to go talk to someone else and I asked if they could see what failed. He said they are not allowed to open up the transmission. Porsche HQ sent them the replacement and they swapped it out. They didn't give me any paperwork either, which I will have to follow up on, but I also didn't give them any money, so I guess Alles ist gut!

The drive back seemed normal... a little stiff in the gear changes, but loosened up as we went. And the funky engine smell that I remember from when I first got her.

Oh, I meant to ask him if I should take it easy on her for awhile, but he quickly engaged with the next customer. Any advice on a break in period for a replaced transmission (which I am guessing is refurbished)?
Old 03-25-2019, 01:29 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been to Germany several times and the culture is one of a serious nature. Here, thank you, have a good day, and done......... Dined at an outdoor cafe: Take order, deliver food, provide check, pay, and done.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:10 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 415 Posts

Howdy,

Sad that my reason for registering is because of a transmission failure (long time lurker). One weird variable is that I just shipped the car to Germany from the States... This was the second drive I had gone on since arrival. 3rd gear felt a bit funky when I picked it up, but I attributed it to the fact that it had been sitting for 3 months or so. Also thought maybe one of the handlers handled it roughly in transit... but it sounds like my issue falls under the known transmission issue. I was accelerating hard in third and then no more gear. It will be interesting to see what the German dealership has to say tomorrow. I will report back if its anything interesting.

I posted in the GT4 forum to add to the sample size and I haven't seen too many reports of GTS's failing. My build month was 06/2016, zero track time... plenty of spirited back road driving.
You should probably add your car to the 3rd gear failure database in the GT4 sub-forum if you are willing.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:05 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Got the car back today... so everything completed in one week.

Oddest interaction when I picked her up... not sure if it was because it was busy, language barrier (my German sucks, so we spoke in English), if they get frustrated with Americans or if this is just normal business... The service guy handed me the key, said ok! and shook my hand and said have a good day. He was about to go talk to someone else and I asked if they could see what failed. He said they are not allowed to open up the transmission. Porsche HQ sent them the replacement and they swapped it out. They didn't give me any paperwork either, which I will have to follow up on, but I also didn't give them any money, so I guess Alles ist gut!

The drive back seemed normal... a little stiff in the gear changes, but loosened up as we went. And the funky engine smell that I remember from when I first got her.

Oh, I meant to ask him if I should take it easy on her for awhile, but he quickly engaged with the next customer. Any advice on a break in period for a replaced transmission (which I am guessing is refurbished)?
Congrats on the prompt and complete resolution with German efficiency! Curious, were any modifications to your US spec GTS required for registering it in a EU country?
Old 03-25-2019, 06:07 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Glad everything worked out and thanks again for posting as I think it helps others to know how to handle these situations.

I literally did a factory tour a few days ago and learned that after 10 hours of engine break in the car is ready for the track. Transmission break in never came into the discussion. Porsche primarily requires longer engine break in for longer periods to insure the driver is fully acquainted with the car. All of this was of course stated in a roundabout way.

Quick Reply: 981 GTS 3rd gear failure