Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S or Base?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 03:52 PM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think if you can afford it, S would be the way to go. It will be hard to "downgrade" from a S to a base if you're use to a certain standard already. However, I would do as others have said and test drive both :]
Old 03-25-2019, 04:47 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
So I currently have my 996 listed on BaT. I have my eye on a couple Caymans (assuming my car sells). I Turo’d a Boxster S last weekend and that thing was a little rocketship in the canyons. I haven’t driven a base model or a Cayman of either variant for that matter yet. Is there a big difference in power and the character of the car with the 2.7L engine? There’s a $10k difference in the used market between a base and S.

The car car will be for weekend fun in the Socal twisties 95% of the time. Will a base suffice??
Base. Also check out 987/986 base/S for best sportscar bang/$ in the world. I have a 380hp 6gt3 and while I started my Boxster search with 981, I ended up getting a 280hp 05 Boxster S. You don’t need more than 300hp for maximum fun in the twisties. Stay away from the brake pedal and you’ll be just fine.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:01 PM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
So I currently have my 996 listed on BaT. I have my eye on a couple Caymans (assuming my car sells). I Turo’d a Boxster S last weekend and that thing was a little rocketship in the canyons. I haven’t driven a base model or a Cayman of either variant for that matter yet. Is there a big difference in power and the character of the car with the 2.7L engine? There’s a $10k difference in the used market between a base and S.

The car car will be for weekend fun in the Socal twisties 95% of the time. Will a base suffice??
Went thought the exact same thing. Convinced myself base is totally fine. Then I was on the highway in my 320 hp Bimmer and needed to scoot. No muss, no fuss. Made me realize I'd miss that with the Bimmer sharing the garage to remind me. So ended up going S.

Quick Reply: S or Base?