Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S or Base?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 12:09 AM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Having previously owned a '14 Base C for a few years and currently own a '14 Boxster S...both PDK...I'd say the main different is the lower grunt you get below 4K with the S. If you like that, then S all the way. If you enjoy reving, I really can't tell much different in the 4K+ world between the cars. I mean, < a second to a something reasonable speed (street) wise.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:56 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm also in LA and I can tell you when I had my 981 CS, I enjoyed the bigger brakes while carving the Malibu canyons, especially Latigo and Piuma. I haven't taken my 987.2 base up there yet but I can already tell I'll need to be more cautious on the downhill sections.

On the flip side, I expect to rev it much more and that brings its own level of fun.

These questions come up often and ultimately I think everyone adapts: spend more on an S/GTS model and use a smaller percentage of power on the streets, but enjoy other benefits like bigger bakes, or save money and just push the base car harder. Fortunately handling is outstanding in both situations, and that's always been the primary strength of the car.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:14 PM
bosporus
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the base 981 (Boxster) that I got recently, and while I went into the purchase wanting to purchase a S, a long test drive and the 10k price difference convinced me that the base was the more compelling buy - unless you plan to track it, which I definitely do not. I think the real question is, whether you're a driver who enjoys riding the torque, or are you one who loves redlining it - the S is obviously more enjoyable if you're the former, else I'd go in for the base. Also, the redlining question is best answered after a test drive in the 981, not basis your experience with other cars, because this is a very eager engine, which just begs to be revved.

This car is a visceral bring, and that glorious sound and the surge of power as you redline the car is one of the key ways to have fun with it - it's far easier to have those bursts of redlines in the base than in the S. I used to drive a torque monster earlier, yet I have never missed the power in the month I've had the car. The comments about better brakes etc. may be theoretically true, but I seriously question if in enthusiastic public roads driving that'll ever be an issue for you. Also, because it seems the base is less attractive, you can grab a pretty well specced car cheap, and that is again something to consider.

Going slightly off tangent, if you do decide to go for the base car, I'd get the PDK - the car demands a lot of really quick shifts to be enjoyed well, which the PDK excels in, plus I believe the automatic covers the torque inadequacies of the engine really well. Mind you, this is coming for someone who loves manuals and have driven mostly manuals all my life.

Either ways, you can't go wrong. Have fund with you purchase

Unless you're someone who enjoys surges of torque ¿¿

though I'd posit that the car is really enjoyable even tootling around town at city speeds.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:51 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Don't look back.
There's always looking back. It's part and parcel of the curse.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:48 PM
schell
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

I remember driving the base Cayman and thinking this car is as close to perfect as anything I had ever driven, and then I drove the S, for me it was worth the cost difference.

Last edited by schell; 03-22-2019 at 09:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-22-2019, 09:48 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 514 Likes on 327 Posts

I've driven extensively lots of high HP cars like Aston DBS, 991 C4S, Superformance Cobra, etc.

I only have 370hp in my S, way less than many of the cars above but it's just enough for me.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:23 AM
jeffm
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

There are great examples of 981S's (with 40-50k miles) in the mid $30k range. $10,000 price difference??....I don't know of a base 981 that's in the mid $20's.
My point is, there are some good deals to be had. Although I don't mind the base model (had both base 986 and 997), my issue was always on the resale...much easier to sell/get value with an S version.

Take your time and look around, for a slight premium of the S, it may be better long term.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:28 AM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 415 Likes on 194 Posts

Yep. Still need to drive both. I’ve been finding the base models in the mid to upper 30s and the S mid to upper 40s. I am however looking at sub 40k mile cars.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:12 PM
gedwin
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bosporus

Going slightly off tangent, if you do decide to go for the base car, I'd get the PDK - the car demands a lot of really quick shifts to be enjoyed well, which the PDK excels in, plus I believe the automatic covers the torque inadequacies of the engine really well. Mind you, this is coming for someone who loves manuals and have driven mostly manuals all my life.
I couldn't have said this better. My exact opinion and experience. For the record, I drive a 981BB PDK, and coming from 986BB 5sp and 987.2BS 6sp.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:52 PM
KrisA
Racer

Received 223 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by gedwin
I couldn't have said this better. My exact opinion and experience. For the record, I drive a 981BB PDK, and coming from 986BB 5sp and 987.2BS 6sp.
I registered a new account to post that I completely disagree. The PDK may be a great automatic box but to say the base car isn't enjoyable with a manual is so untrue. I disagree that you need to make "lots of quick shifts", 3rd gear in my 987.2 base Cayman is good for about 140kph if I remember correctly which is way faster than any speed limit in Canada. I wish I was rowing through the gears more but at sane speeds I'm shifting my Cayman no more than any other manual I've owned.

I love my base immensely, I'm sure an S would be great but I already find my car is too fast to really give it on public streets. A few seconds of full throttle and you're in "go to jail" territory!

Regarding price variance those stating $10,000 jives with what I found when shopping for Cayman's in Canada. I wanted a low mile mint condition 987.2 with a manual gearbox and found that base cars were typically around $40,000CAD +- $5000 whereas S models were around $50,000 +- $5000.

I've never once been driving my base thinking I made a mistake and wished I had more power. If I had a track anywhere near me and the $ to spend time on it I *might* have considered springing for an S, but I find the base 91 engined cars to be all I need.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:38 PM
Kayaknfly
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a base 08 cayman and my friend has a 09 Boxster S. Not 981’s I know but base vrs S comparison. We have swapped cars on drives. The S does have more pull then the base on low rpms. However if really wringing them out they are fairly close. I expected him to walk away from me and he doesn’t.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:53 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Sold the 996 on BaT today so I guess it’s time to start the test drives...
Old 03-22-2019, 11:13 PM
SomnoBoost
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Base model. Spend that extra $10k on headers, exhaust upgrade, and the best damn tires money can buy. Then take your wife to Europe for her birthday. If you don't have a wife, then buy the best damn brakes money can buy. lol
Old 03-23-2019, 12:06 AM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SomnoBoost
Base model. Spend that extra $10k on headers, exhaust upgrade, and the best damn tires money can buy. Then take your wife to Europe for her birthday. If you don't have a wife, then buy the best damn brakes money can buy. lol
And that’s exactly it. If I can get 95% of the fun from the base and save $10k, that’s great.

And the wife got a new car car last month. She’s good for a while.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:50 PM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow". That's become a cliché, but that doesn't mean it's not true. The 'funnest' car I've ever had was a 914-4 from '93, and I've had many 3-400hp cars.

Quick Reply: S or Base?