Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Seat Advice for 981 Street/DE car

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 07:26 PM
hawaiicy
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Seat Advice for 981 Street/DE car

Hi All,

I've tried searching the entirety of the internet but cannot seem to find a straight thread on the differences between all the seat options on the 981s. I'm eyeing a 981S that is on the other side of the country for a street/DE car. My dad has a 997 911 CS and the seats in it are universally recognized as pretty much horrid for performance use because they have the bolstering of an IKEA couch, so I'm very wary of buying a sports car with seats that don't match its capabilities. That being said, my wife has to be willing to drive the 3.5 hours to Laguna Seca in it too...

This particular 981S has the 14-way Sport Seats (heated and cooled). Fancy stuff but probably heavy and it doesn't appear to have great bolstering. Anyone have the 14-ways and track their car? Were there other options on the 981 that were better (the sport plus?)? And do any have more bolstering but still compatible with the heating and cooling? AT least with this info I could determine if a swap was possible if the 14-ways aren't good enough.

FWIW, I'm 6'2" and very lean at 160 lbs.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!
Old 03-17-2019, 09:06 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Tons of people track with 14 way standard sport seats, myself included. They kind of suck at supporting you in corners, but it works. I've had cars with the sport seats plus, and they do support you somewhat better, but you're still going to be bracing your knee somewhere because the bolstering is not deep enough to hold you steady at 1g+ like a real race seat. The only really heavily bolstered Porsche seat of this generation is the lightweight buckets, which are carbon and a fortune and pretty much only seen in GT4's. Unless heating/cooling are a big deal, just buy the car you like and put some real seats in there like Sparco or OMP if you're tracking it enough for this issue to be a factor in what car you buy.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:43 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Agree with the above.. Most people as they get into the higher DE run groups eventually get race seats and harnesses, mainly due to the safety factor. The first couple years you can run stock and see where it leads.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:44 AM
hawaiicy
5th Gear

Thanks for the advice. I’ve been tracking a variety of cars for 10 years and instruct for my club, so it sounds like seat swapping for events may be the way to go. I can live with the stock seats for a while if there are no better OEM options.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:34 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

I've ridden in a number of 981's with Recaro pole positions. Buy the car and switch to those seats. You will not need to switch back and forth.

I have OMP in my track 987.2. The high thigh bolsters make ingress and egress a challenge without a detachable steering wheel. Not so with the Recaro I regret now not buying the Recaro.

These seats in the 981 may be the only true no compromise dual use mod.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:01 PM
hawaiicy
5th Gear

Originally Posted by badabing
I've ridden in a number of 981's with Recaro pole positions. Buy the car and switch to those seats. You will not need to switch back and forth.

I have OMP in my track 987.2. The high thigh bolsters make ingress and egress a challenge without a detachable steering wheel. Not so with the Recaro I regret now not buying the Recaro.

These seats in the 981 may be the only true no compromise dual use mod.
Don’t they lack air bags? Plus also giving up heat and cooling. Don’t get me wrong I totally agree there are some aftermarket seats that fit the bill but my wife would have a different definition of “no compromise”.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:19 AM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

They do lack airbags and built in HVAC. I guess I was just speaking from a seating position comfort level.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:07 PM
UltraMagneticAL
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hawaiicy

Don’t they lack air bags? Plus also giving up heat and cooling. Don’t get me wrong I totally agree there are some aftermarket seats that fit the bill but my wife would have a different definition of “no compromise”.
i think i've seen recaro sportster cs w/ airbags and heating as options. not sure if they have cayman fitments, but i'm pretty sure i saw them for bmw's. might want to look there if you need heat and airbags.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:42 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Hi All,

I've tried searching the entirety of the internet but cannot seem to find a straight thread on the differences between all the seat options on the 981s. I'm eyeing a 981S that is on the other side of the country for a street/DE car. My dad has a 997 911 CS and the seats in it are universally recognized as pretty much horrid for performance use because they have the bolstering of an IKEA couch, so I'm very wary of buying a sports car with seats that don't match its capabilities. That being said, my wife has to be willing to drive the 3.5 hours to Laguna Seca in it too...

This particular 981S has the 14-way Sport Seats (heated and cooled). Fancy stuff but probably heavy and it doesn't appear to have great bolstering. Anyone have the 14-ways and track their car? Were there other options on the 981 that were better (the sport plus?)? And do any have more bolstering but still compatible with the heating and cooling? AT least with this info I could determine if a swap was possible if the 14-ways aren't good enough.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!
I owned a '14 981 S for about 6 months until a loaded '12 987 R came along. The R is a superior performing car to the 981 S in every way I can think of, and you can find many R's with factory GT2 light weight buckets seats like mine had. Rs will also hold their value much greater. It's a better buy and personally I think it's a way cooler car too. Something to consider.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:59 AM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 244 Posts

Check the rulebook for the club that you drive with. Here the rulebook requires equal restraints not necessarily equal seats. You may be able to install a factory LWB on the drivers side and keep the comfort seat with heating and cooling for the Mrs.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:55 PM
ramans
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I have Recaro Sportster CS's in my 2014 CS, with a Cantrell Motorsports bar for my harnesses (6 point) contact Cantrell for info on how to do this they're great at this stuff. Mine have heat but no airbags
Old 06-16-2020, 10:39 AM
mprog
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ramans
I have Recaro Sportster CS's in my 2014 CS, with a Cantrell Motorsports bar for my harnesses (6 point) contact Cantrell for info on how to do this they're great at this stuff. Mine have heat but no airbags
considering a similar setup... how do you like it at track days?
Old 06-16-2020, 02:40 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 204 Posts

Hi All,

I've tried searching the entirety of the internet but cannot seem to find a straight thread on the differences between all the seat options on the 981s...……
.........That being said, my wife has to be willing to drive the 3.5 hours to Laguna Seca in it too...

……... I’ve been tracking a variety of cars for 10 years and instruct for my club, so it sounds like seat swapping for events may be the way to go. I can live with the stock seats for a while if there are no better OEM options.
Couple points because this title will probably come up on a search for others even though it's 3 mos. old.
You probably already know this but I've been surprised while instructing how many people don't understand the seat belt trick of
backward - lock - forward to cinch down....then the sport seats aren't too terrible especially if you need the heat/air for the wife.
A couple more aggressive options besides the carbon buckets (which are made by Recaro) and besides the Pole Position already mentioned
are the Recaro Profi XL which are basically the shape of the carbon buckets but with deeper bolsters, and, at 6'2 and 160lb., you might like the std. Profi SPG (not the XL)
At 170lb I run the std. SPG and don't find it too aggressive but it's on the edge because you do basically have to drop yourself down into the seat. (pic below in the 987.2)
At the passenger seat I'm running the less aggressive Pole Position and haven't had anyone complain.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:19 PM
txbdan
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 114 Posts

I sold my E36 M3 race car to simplify life with the Cayman. I just did my first track day with the Cayman (standard "sport" seats in the 981 S) and sure, i miss a proper race seat and harness. But then again, it's not that bad. I'm not racing for money, just doing track days and time trials. My knees are bruised up and even my arms are sore in odd ways, but oh well. I had a good time and that's the point of track days. I'm speaking more generally than to the OP, but I think many people get too amped up for track day glory. When you step back and look at it, you're compromising a really nice car and for what exactly? Just have fun and enjoy what you have.

Quick Reply: Need Seat Advice for 981 Street/DE car