Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Capristo MK1 Cayman system fit on '06 Boxster 2.7L?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 06:06 PM
skidpalace
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Capristo MK1 Cayman system fit on '06 Boxster 2.7L?

Hello all,
I found a great deal on a new-in-box Capristo cat-back valved exhaust system.
The problem is that the system is 2014 vintage (MK1) for the pre-2009 Cayman.
https://capristoexhaust.com/product/...xhaust-system/
I have been told by Capristo US that the mounting locations are different for the Bosxter specific kit.
https://capristoexhaust.com/product/...k-incl-remote/
However, I suspect that they may just want to sell me a new system.
Does anyone have first hand experience with these systems or would know that there is no significant difference in the mounting locations or fitment to my 2006 Boxster base?
Thanks.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:37 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 268 Posts

All 987.1 (pre-2009) exhausts for Boxster and Cayman are interchangeable. The catback systems and headers will all mate up to one another. Engine size does not matter either.

The one you have should fit.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:49 AM
skidpalace
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zach L
All 987.1 (pre-2009) exhausts for Boxster and Cayman are interchangeable. The catback systems and headers will all mate up to one another. Engine size does not matter either.

The one you have should fit.
OK, Interesting, Here is the quote exactly from the Operations Director at Capristo in FL:
The Boxster and Cayman before 2009 had a slightly different gearbox. The MK2 987 they standardized it and thus there is just one system. The cayman one wont fit your car. Our 987 Boxster exhaust is currently 25% off right now (I have one left at that price)
Like I mentioned, I think he is trying to get me to pop for a new full system direct from them. However, the MK1 vs MK2 comment has some merit.
Zach, if you are confident that the Cayman system will bolt into my Boxster, I will likely snag it this weekend.
I can't turn it down at this price (less than $1500 new in box), but I also don't want to be stuck with a system that won't bolt up.
Thanks.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:42 PM
skidpalace
Advanced

Anyone else have an opinion on this? I didn't manage to get out there last weekend, but may pop on it this weekend if odds are good it will fit my car.
Thanks.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:02 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

It's not an opinion, it's a well known fact. The OEM exhausts and every aftermarket versions are all interchangeable, and the gearboxes are the same between Boxster and Cayman. If Capristo made two versions it was pointless and a sgn they lacked thorough "research" when developing the exhaust.

If you'd like proof, check out this post of someone using a Capristo Boxster exhaust on a Cayman. Google returned this in 3 minutes: https://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-...fferences.html

If you like the Capristo sound, I'd take the deal. Good luck!
Old 03-23-2019, 12:25 PM
skidpalace
Advanced

It's not an opinion, it's a well known fact. The OEM exhausts and every aftermarket versions are all interchangeable, and the gearboxes are the same between Boxster and Cayman. If Capristo made two versions it was pointless and a sgn they lacked thorough "research" when developing the exhaust.

If you'd like proof, check out this post of someone using a Capristo Boxster exhaust on a Cayman. Google returned this in 3 minutes: https://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-...fferences.html

If you like the Capristo sound, I'd take the deal. Good luck!
Thanks Zach, I did check Planet 9 and even posted a question there as well. Thanks for the link. I will go for it.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:48 PM
skidpalace
Advanced

Deal is done.
$1000 bought me a brand new in box Capristo cat back exhaust. The best part? It turned out to be a Boxster system after all according to the label on the box.
Cannot wait to install it.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:25 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Congrats! That a great deal!!

If there's any chance you can record before and after videos (with same camera/location)and post that would be awesome
Old 03-25-2019, 06:13 PM
skidpalace
Advanced

Congrats! That a great deal!!

If there's any chance you can record before and after videos (with same camera/location)and post that would be awesome
Thanks.
I will try to document the install. There is a chance that I may pay someone to put it in since I am tied up for the next few weekends and I am dying to hear it.
For now I found this incredible video:
The Capristo system is at 5:03. I suspect the owner has the headers and possibly sport or no cats, but the video gives you an excellent comparison among several exhaust systems in a semi controlled environment.
I took a bit of a leap on this but I think I will be thrilled with it.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:32 PM
skidpalace
Advanced

Ugh. So I had some free time the other Saturday and I got the car up on jacks to swap the exhaust. I figured I would install the hardware and then decide if I wanted to pay someone to install the electronics and vacuum lines or do it myself.
Everything went smoothly until I got to the header flange bolt nuts, which were rotten beyond any chance of wrenching off. Seeing as I saw no way to cut or split the nuts due to limited working space, I was forced to call no joy and book an appointment for the complete install. That date was this morning.
To cut a long story short, the shop got cold feet on installing the system and recommended that I use an authorized install shop from Capristo.
Now I am back to square one. Figure out how to cut or torch from flange bolts or find a competent shop that won't pork me on the labor.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:10 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by skidpalace
Ugh. So I had some free time the other Saturday and I got the car up on jacks to swap the exhaust. I figured I would install the hardware and then decide if I wanted to pay someone to install the electronics and vacuum lines or do it myself.
Everything went smoothly until I got to the header flange bolt nuts, which were rotten beyond any chance of wrenching off. Seeing as I saw no way to cut or split the nuts due to limited working space, I was forced to call no joy and book an appointment for the complete install. That date was this morning.
To cut a long story short, the shop got cold feet on installing the system and recommended that I use an authorized install shop from Capristo.
Now I am back to square one. Figure out how to cut or torch from flange bolts or find a competent shop that won't pork me on the labor.
Where are you located?
Old 04-11-2019, 02:22 PM
skidpalace
Advanced

Originally Posted by garfunkle
Where are you located?
Boston area, just west of town. There are two PCA independent shops locally in Belmont and Lexington, but they are asking silly money for basic maintenance. I can only imagine what they would ask for the install and wiring.
The "authorized" Capristo installer said $600-800 with headers, but this is cat-back only. I'd expect no less than $500 estimate. $500 buys a lot of special tools.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:49 PM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by skidpalace
The easiest way to handle the flange studs (they are pressed-in studs, not bolts) at this point is to just snap them off with a wrench or vise-grips and then use an oxy-acetylene torch to remove the stud remnants. To remove the remnants, use the torch to heat up each broken stud and the surrounding flange area (just around the stud) to red hot and then use a punch and a hammer to tap out the stud, from the exhaust side toward the engine. Use an assistant to hold the torch while you use the punch and hammer, so you don't set something on fire when you put the torch down.

I've dealt with broken 987.1 exhaust studs multiple times, and the "blue-tipped wrench" is by far the easiest way to get the broken studs out.

Once the broken studs are out, just get new bolts and nuts and install the new exhaust.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:41 PM
skidpalace
Advanced

Originally Posted by BillC3
The easiest way to handle the flange studs (they are pressed-in studs, not bolts) at this point is to just snap them off with a wrench or vise-grips and then use an oxy-acetylene torch to remove the stud remnants. To remove the remnants, use the torch to heat up each broken stud and the surrounding flange area (just around the stud) to red hot and then use a punch and a hammer to tap out the stud, from the exhaust side toward the engine. Use an assistant to hold the torch while you use the punch and hammer, so you don't set something on fire when you put the torch down.

I've dealt with broken 987.1 exhaust studs multiple times, and the "blue-tipped wrench" is by far the easiest way to get the broken studs out.

Once the broken studs are out, just get new bolts and nuts and install the new exhaust.
So I finally got a free day with decent weather up here. I am proud to say that I got the old exhaust out and the new Capristo system installed myself in the driveway. Thank you for the tip on the studs. Worked like a charm exactly as you said. I bought some Irwin bolt grip nut removers and they did a great job of snapping two of the three studs off each flange. Each flange had one that would not come out. for those I used a die grinder to nibble away most of the nut then I busted the last of it off with an air hammer. The blue-tipped wrench work like a charm to hammer out the studs with the air hammer. It wasn't budging without the heat.
It's installed without the control system right now. Since it defaults to open without vacuum it is permanently in full race mode. Let me tell you it sounds freaking insane. Videos with the iphone do not do it justice. It literally sounds like a full on race car. It is borderline obnoxious around town. Scratch that- it is totally obnoxious. I love it.

Last edited by skidpalace; 05-13-2019 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:17 PM
skidpalace
Advanced

I could use some help identifying a vacuum line to tap into.
I believe this line running into the base of the intake tube after the throttle body is a vacuum line, no?
I want to be 100% sure before I cut into it.
Your help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Capristo MK1 Cayman system fit on '06 Boxster 2.7L?