RS Spyder wheel replacements are THAT much?! - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

RS Spyder wheel replacements are THAT much?!

Old 03-14-2019, 01:15 AM
professsorz
User

Default RS Spyder wheel replacements are THAT much?!

Am looking at a service history and it shows an '08 RS 60 having had three wheels replaced and an all wheel alignment a couple of years back. The price shown (Porsche dealership) is 5,210. That seems kinda crazy high. Or is that just what's expected with this car?
Old 03-14-2019, 03:18 AM
Suicide Jockey
Addict
Rennlist Member

Maybe sounds a little high, but not crazy high as Porsche OEM wheels aren't cheap, particularly when purchased through a dealer as these apparently were.

Looks like you can currently get the 19" SportDesign for $1,195 per wheel through Suncoast:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/991G1SDW.html

Suncoast prices are usually cheaper than a dealer so when you factor in the dealer premium and then add for an alignment + labor, a charge of $5,210 by a dealer doesn't strike me as crazy high.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:54 AM
andy7777
Addict
Rennlist Member

Suncoast is a dealer, they just charge slightly less than other dealers. But if you take their price to your local Porsche dealer they will probably match it, though you have to ask.

OEM wheel prices for our cars are ridiculous. That being said, if you're replacing a single wheel it's likely because of damage, and depending on deductible it may be useful to get your insurer to pay. You can repair curb rash or other small stuff on any of these for way less than cost of replacement.

Besides, half the fun of owning old Porsches is changing stuff up, buying and selling wheel sets is a popular pasttime here.

Last edited by andy7777; 03-14-2019 at 09:56 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-14-2019, 09:55 AM
Scooby921
User

It seems reasonable to me too. In recent history I think the majority of Porsche's OEM wheels are a true forged monoblock to make them stronger at lower weight. If you go browsing forged wheels at CCW, Forgeline, BBS, HRE, etc., their entry level forged monoblock wheels start at $1000 and go up from there. Factor in the markup you'll see buying parts from the dealership and I'm not surprised to see 3 wheels and an alignment end up at $5k. I let the dealership flip the tires on the wheels and rebalance to "rotate" them and they charged me $600. I would have paid Discount Tire $120 for the same service.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:00 AM
andy7777
Addict
Rennlist Member

Scooby921, I'm not so sure that most (or any) OEM wheels are forged. I looked around for this when I specced out my Cayman GTS with Sport Techno wheels and none of the wheels offered were forged.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:02 AM
professsorz
User

Originally Posted by andy7777 View Post
Suncoast is a dealer, they just charge slightly less than other dealers. But if you take their price to your local Porsche dealer they will probably match it, though you have to ask.

OEM wheel prices for our cars are ridiculous. That being said, if you're replacing a single wheel it's likely because of damage, and depending on deductible it may be useful to get your insurer to pay. You can repair curb rash or other small stuff on any of these for way less than cost of replacement.

Besides, half the fun of owning old Porsches is changing stuff up, buying and selling wheel sets is a popular pasttime here.
Ah - ridiculous is the word that first popped into my mind. If they were forged wheels I could see it but I don't believe they are ...?
Old 03-14-2019, 10:15 AM
[email protected] Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The Porsche tax is real! Hopefully you get what you pay for. If anyone is looking for a true forged monoblock built to your specs, you'll pay nearly the same for a set of Finspeed wheels. They have $300 off for a set now thru April 15. Centerlock is also now a no cost option. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:41 PM
Scooby921
User

Scooby921, I'm not so sure that most (or any) OEM wheels are forged. I looked around for this when I specced out my Cayman GTS with Sport Techno wheels and none of the wheels offered were forged.
Then I must have misread or misunderstood something when doing the same. Hard to find any good data on OE parts, but I thought I had read somewhere that Porsche did use forged wheels to improve strength while keeping the weight lower. BBS does make cast and flow-formed wheels. Perhaps something I read misrepresented flow-formed as being forged.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:25 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Addict
Rennlist Member

...buying and selling wheel sets is a popular pasttime here.

It is?

Old 03-14-2019, 07:00 PM
andy7777
Addict
Rennlist Member

On RL sure, this forum maybe not so much. I don't know any track guys who don't have a second or third set.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:44 PM
Libast
Addict
Rennlist Member

New OEM wheels are expensive regardless of manufacturer. Additional Porsche Tax™ is just dollar bill sprinkles on top of the cupcake.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: