Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS 60 "worth" it over a regular S?

Old 03-12-2019, 09:56 PM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RS 60 "worth" it over a regular S?

Hi folks. Unlike the rather awesome carbon seated, manually lowered top Spyder I gazed upon recently, the RS 60 seems to be basically a Boxster S with some standard bits (like PASM, exhaust, etc). And I note it goes for a premium over an S. So my question is - is it actually a better ride in some way or is it simply the exclusivity of the limited run that's raising the price? Thanks in advance for your insights!
Old 03-13-2019, 12:27 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by professsorz
Hi folks. Unlike the rather awesome carbon seated, manually lowered top Spyder I gazed upon recently, the RS 60 seems to be basically a Boxster S with some standard bits (like PASM, exhaust, etc). And I note it goes for a premium over an S. So my question is - is it actually a better ride in some way or is it simply the exclusivity of the limited run that's raising the price? Thanks in advance for your insights!
I've always been a fan of the RS60 and, unlike many, don't dismiss the car as purely a cosmetic package. Is it worth a premium over an S? I'd say yes, particularly if you dig the cosmetic features unique to the car. The RS60 was over $9K more than an S and it came with the following (may be missing some items so RS60 owners chime in):

+8 hp
GT Silver paint
Revise front spoilers
Sport Design Wheels
5mm spacers
All red taillights
Silver roll hoops
Sport Exhaust
RS60 inscribed sill plates
Limited number
Full leather on door panels, dash, center console
Sport steering wheel
Removal of the hood over the gauges
GT Silver paint
GT Silver gauges
Really cool shift ****
Interior Plaque
Silver seat belts
Silver seat backs
PASM

The question becomes how much of a premium should one pay? And that will depend, in part, on how enamored you are with the RS60 options/package.

You asked if the RS60 is a "better ride" in some ways. See this article below which, in addition to the 8 hp bump, notes some performance differences between an S and an RS60:

https://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/13/...-rs-60-spyder/

Tim Cupp, Porsche's product manager for sports cars, says the sport exhaust is available on other Boxsters, but only raises the volume. On the RS 60, it helps the car take advantage of a re-worked engine management system, which adds eight horsepower. . . .

The Boxster S, he said . . . had a mostly linear power band. He then proceeded, in third gear now, to tell me as he demonstrated that the RS 60's power spikes between 6,000 and 7,200 RPM. . . . .

For a track car, Murry says he'd choose the RS 60 over the more common S. The choice is even easier with the RS60's Porsche Active Suspension Management system, which makes a big difference in the car's handling by allowing greater slip angles, stiffens the dampers and gives more dynamic accelerator pedal response.

RS60 owners love their cars. I suspect some will weigh in on why they think the car commands a premium over an S.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:41 AM
professsorz
Racer

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
I've always been a fan of the RS60 and, unlike many, don't dismiss the car as purely a cosmetic package. Is it worth a premium over an S? I'd say yes, particularly if you dig the cosmetic features unique to the car. The RS60 was over $9K more than an S and it came with the following (may be missing some items so RS60 owners chime in):

+8 hp
GT Silver paint
Revise front spoilers
Sport Design Wheels
5mm spacers
All red taillights
Silver roll hoops
Sport Exhaust
RS60 inscribed sill plates
Limited number
Full leather on door panels, dash, center console
Sport steering wheel
Removal of the hood over the gauges
GT Silver paint
GT Silver gauges
Really cool shift ****
Interior Plaque
Silver seat belts
Silver seat backs
PASM

The question becomes how much of a premium should one pay? And that will depend, in part, on how enamored you are with the RS60 options/package.

You asked if the RS60 is a "better ride" in some ways. See this article below which, in addition to the 8 hp bump, notes some performance differences between an S and an RS60:

https://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/13/...-rs-60-spyder/

Tim Cupp, Porsche's product manager for sports cars, says the sport exhaust is available on other Boxsters, but only raises the volume. On the RS 60, it helps the car take advantage of a re-worked engine management system, which adds eight horsepower. . . .

The Boxster S, he said . . . had a mostly linear power band. He then proceeded, in third gear now, to tell me as he demonstrated that the RS 60's power spikes between 6,000 and 7,200 RPM. . . . .

For a track car, Murry says he'd choose the RS 60 over the more common S. The choice is even easier with the RS60's Porsche Active Suspension Management system, which makes a big difference in the car's handling by allowing greater slip angles, stiffens the dampers and gives more dynamic accelerator pedal response.

RS60 owners love their cars. I suspect some will weigh in on why they think the car commands a premium over an S.
Not buying it for the track - just for a fun car to drive in the twisties, for getaway weekends, etc. There's one UK review that was kind of negative on it, which was a bit of a surprise (back when it came out). I DO like the look of it and leather interiors always spiff up a car's appeal.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:48 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

You gotta like the looks of it because it is mostly a cosmetic package, with some worthwhile mechanical features thrown in for good measure. If you dig the looks, and it sounds like you do, then the question simply becomes how much more are you comfortable paying over an S for the RS60 features.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:43 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Yes, very much so. It's the only Porsche I wish I never sold. Plus it holds its value far greater than a normal S. Ideally find one with red interior, and a red top (dark gray leather was an option, as was a black top).

It also had unique tail pipes (PSE was standard), a black painted framed windshield (meant to visually erase it), and I believe the rear bumper cover was unique.

Also, first Boxster over 300 hp

The only oddity is that PSE closes in the cruise range. But wide open the howl is intoxicating. I think we forget how much better non-DFI motors sounded.

I still have the original sales brochure and Porsche poster, and a 1/43 Porsche model set with it next to the original RS60.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:55 AM
professsorz
Racer

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Yes, very much so. It's the only Porsche I wish I never sold. Plus it holds its value far greater than a normal S. Ideally find one with red interior, and a red top (dark gray leather was an option, as was a black top).

It also had unique tail pipes (PSE was standard) and I believe the rear bumper cover was unique.

Also, first Boxster over 300 hp

The only oddity is that PSE closes in the cruise range. But wide open the howl is intoxicating. I think we forget how much better non-DFI motors sounded.

I still have the original sales brochure and Porsche poster.
Please - tell me more! Getting feedback from "one who had one" is the best way to understand (besides buying one and learning from direct experience).
Old 03-13-2019, 11:58 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Please - tell me more! Getting feedback from "one who had one" is the best way to understand (besides buying one and learning from direct experience).
relook at my post. I added more

Car drives amazingly. Makes the perfect noise. Surprisingly quick. I put Bridgestone RE-11s on mine after the PS2s wore out. Mine was #600.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:09 PM
professsorz
Racer

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
relook at my post. I added more

Car drives amazingly. Makes the perfect noise. Surprisingly quick. I put Bridgestone RE-11s on mine after the PS2s wore out. Mine was #600.
And you're talking "just drivin'", not high perf track events, yes?
Old 03-13-2019, 12:44 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

And you're talking "just drivin'", not high perf track events, yes?
Driving for which it was designed -- spirited. The roads in San Antonio really lack grip, so here it pays to step up to extreme rubber. But I found all operation of the car to be very smooth and reliable. I didn't find the brakes to be race worthy per se, but then again my RS60 sat next to my Cayman R w/PCCB in my garage until I eventually replaced the RS60 with a 2011 Boxster Spyder (which is now gone too unfortunately).

Interestingly, our local PCA chapter president has a RS60 where he retrofitted PCCB. He's taken that car to COTA many times.

I look at RS60s for sale time to time. My step daughter will drive soon and we may just make that her first car.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:22 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I owned one as well for three years and would echo everything said here. It was a great car in every way. I regretted selling it, got an M3 with 4 seats so I could take the kids to school. Sold that and have a Spyder now and I'll never sell it. Though i like the Spyder better, the RS60 is next in line in the family - your net cost of ownership will likely be lower than an S if you ever decide to resell, and you will enjoy it more. I never tracked the RS60 btw, not for any reason other than I just didn't have time back then.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:11 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 782 Posts

There's one on BAT right now...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...s-60-spyder-2/
Old 03-13-2019, 02:26 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Curious to see where that ends up because currently it's not that much more than a 19k-mile S model.

OP - for the purposes that you mentioned, I'd say it's worth it. The 8 hp bump is negligible when you're almost at 300 hp but the cosmetic upgrades are nice. I'm personally not a fan of the 987.1 interior but everything else about the car is awesome.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:27 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 255 Posts

The RS60 was my first Porsche and I loved it. All the comments above are spot on. I think it's definitely worth a premium over a comparable BS. I wish I had kept that car. I eventually got back into a Boxster Spyder. I wish I had kept that car too.

I have issues...

DaveGee
Old 03-13-2019, 06:11 PM
professsorz
Racer

Originally Posted by daylorb
I owned one as well for three years and would echo everything said here. It was a great car in every way. I regretted selling it, got an M3 with 4 seats so I could take the kids to school. Sold that and have a Spyder now and I'll never sell it. Though i like the Spyder better, the RS60 is next in line in the family - your net cost of ownership will likely be lower than an S if you ever decide to resell, and you will enjoy it more. I never tracked the RS60 btw, not for any reason other than I just didn't have time back then.
I note it gets consistent negative press for the ride quality on its 19's. Curious as I drove it and, yes, all the bumps come through loud and clear, they don't upset the chassis and somehow didn't really bother me.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:20 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

I note it gets consistent negative press for the ride quality on its 19's. Curious as I drove it and, yes, all the bumps come through loud and clear, they don't upset the chassis and somehow didn't really bother me.
That's crap (negative press). The first thing you do when you crank it up is turn on Sport (which turns on PSE) and turn off PASM. PASM in sport mode makes the ride way too harsh. In normal mode (which PASM still operates) it's quite good. I'm not a PASM guy anyway. I much prefer the X73 suspension the later 2011/12 Boxster Spyder enjoyed and the Cayman R, both of which I owned as well. One thing to always ensure is that the tires have correct cold pressures. And at that point. you can always go down a pound or two for comfort if you wish. I would also look at the type tire to see what's installed these days. Most second hand owners or dealers aren't going to replace the tire with a premium one. I went with Bridgestone RE-11s (or would go with RE-71 today) and the combination was amazing. I never much liked the Michelin PS2s it came with. I did find those a little less compliant.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RS 60 "worth" it over a regular S?