Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS 60 "worth" it over a regular S?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 07:28 PM
mamow
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chose an RS 60 while otherwise looking at 981s in order to add a manual transmission to the stable. Not sure I could be happier with the decision. For sure I'm getting way worse MPG than our other cars, but that's because 5th and 6th see far less usage and there's no 7th. Even more, top up or down, the sound from the Boxster's engine is just so perfect (PSE normally being off, unless I'm properly up and running at speed). No experience with other 987s, but I think the extra bits in the RS 60 wrap a nice bow around a super driver's package.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:54 AM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
Curious to see where that ends up because currently it's not that much more than a 19k-mile S model.

OP - for the purposes that you mentioned, I'd say it's worth it. The 8 hp bump is negligible when you're almost at 300 hp but the cosmetic upgrades are nice. I'm personally not a fan of the 987.1 interior but everything else about the car is awesome.
Reserve not met.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...s-60-spyder-2/
Old 03-14-2019, 09:49 AM
BobRx
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reserve not met

That was my high bid, super disappointed! I spoke with the selling dealer, we'll see what happens. Supposedly it is an estate sale with a minimum price. The posting dealer is an agent for the family of a deceased Porsche lover who had 3 Pcars.
Assuming the RS 60 falls thru, I am looking for a 987.2/981 Boxster or Cayman S under $45K if anyone knows of any for sale. Prefer manual and non-black.

Rob
Old 03-14-2019, 10:06 AM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRx
That was my high bid, super disappointed! I spoke with the selling dealer, we'll see what happens. Supposedly it is an estate sale with a minimum price. The posting dealer is an agent for the family of a deceased Porsche lover who had 3 Pcars.
Assuming the RS 60 falls thru, I am looking for a 987.2/981 Boxster or Cayman S under $45K if anyone knows of any for sale. Prefer manual and non-black.

Rob
I was looking at that as well and from Edmunds, at least, your price was reasonable. Especially with the 5% BAT added cost. Estate sales, especially if they involve kinda clueless offspring making the decisions, can be a pain. I prefer manual and non-black as well but MAN, soooo many of the cars on the West Coast are black, black, black.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:59 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Rob
You should easily be able to find a 981 S for under $45K. Carmax alone has half a dozen of them under that price.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:21 PM
BobRx
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The family accepted my offer. The car is going to Hendrick Porsche in Charlotte on Monday for a PPI. Assuming all checks out OK she'll be moving north to NJ. I am going to try and find out how the previous owner ended up getting car #911 of 1960. Thinking there must be an interesting story.

Very excited!

Rob
Old 03-15-2019, 07:32 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

That's great news, Rob! Hope the PPI comes out clean and that baby is in your garage shortly.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:34 PM
professsorz
Racer

The family accepted my offer. The car is going to Hendrick Porsche in Charlotte on Monday for a PPI. Assuming all checks out OK she'll be moving north to NJ. Very excited!

Rob
Congrats! I hope you love her. The PPI for my #1825 build is scheduled for Wednesday. Can't wait!
Old 03-15-2019, 09:26 PM
mamow
AutoX

Very cool. Congrats and enjoy!
Old 05-11-2019, 09:10 AM
SUS91
4th Gear

Originally Posted by professsorz
Hi folks. Unlike the rather awesome carbon seated, manually lowered top Spyder I gazed upon recently, the RS 60 seems to be basically a Boxster S with some standard bits (like PASM, exhaust, etc). And I note it goes for a premium over an S. So my question is - is it actually a better ride in some way or is it simply the exclusivity of the limited run that's raising the price? Thanks in advance for your insights!
What is a fair price for an RS 60 with ~49K and black int and roof?
I will be test driving one this week and need an idea of where the price should be.

Thanks in advance.

Lee
Old 05-11-2019, 09:35 AM
professsorz
Racer

Originally Posted by SUS91
What is a fair price for an RS 60 with ~49K and black int and roof?
I will be test driving one this week and need an idea of where the price should be.

Thanks in advance.

Lee
Are you speaking of the one in Walnut Creek or the one being sold on PCA classifieds?
Old 05-11-2019, 09:58 AM
SUS91
4th Gear

I believe it is on PCA and a few other sites. Are you in NC?
Old 05-11-2019, 10:54 AM
professsorz
Racer

I believe it is on PCA and a few other sites. Are you in NC?
Nope. CA. Know all about the one being sold at Nohr's in WC. But only know from pics the one in PCA. If you check out bringatrailer.com you can search on prior auctions and see what the 4 RS 60's went for. One had similar miles to the one you're looking at. Briefly, one silver/red with similar miles went for $27K (+5% fee on top of that) in January. That seemed like a GREAT deal. The others were low 30's (again you have to add in the 5% BaT fee). Those were lower mileage. Hard to be sure what they're worth due to the small data set. A guy was offering one with 12k miles for 37K but what it will/did sell for isn't known. My own sense is for one with mileage in the 40's a price between $28K and $32K is a good range, with condition being a defining factor.

As you can tell from reading the comments on this site, they're GREAT cars. Just came back from driving mine this early AM, just because it's so fun. A regular S will cost less but almost certainly lack the natural leather and SE. And I have my car set in sport mode most of the time - not having the SE would take a noticeable bit away from the experience.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:15 AM
SUS91
4th Gear

Thanks for the feedback. I owned a base 01 Box a few years ago and loved the car but the idea of four cars un driveway pushed me to trade it and a Sub Outback in for a 14 Infiniti Q50, which is a nice car but does not make me want to drive it on a sunny day. Originally, I set out to look for a 911 and have found an 07 C2 cabriolet with 27K on the clock, but price is mid-30's. I stumbled across this RS 60 and I LOVE the GT Silver color and now trying to decide between the two. On upside, the Box has more storage, lower price, new clutch and fabric roof, the car is super close to me and the seller has been super friendly sending pics and copies of service records. Downside, the Box has ~20K more miles than the 911 and when you think Porsche you always think 911.

Thoughts/comments?
Old 05-11-2019, 11:22 AM
professsorz
Racer

Thanks for the feedback. I owned a base 01 Box a few years ago and loved the car but the idea of four cars un driveway pushed me to trade it and a Sub Outback in for a 14 Infiniti Q50, which is a nice car but does not make me want to drive it on a sunny day. Originally, I set out to look for a 911 and have found an 07 C2 cabriolet with 27K on the clock, but price is mid-30's. I stumbled across this RS 60 and I LOVE the GT Silver color and now trying to decide between the two. On upside, the Box has more storage, lower price, new clutch and fabric roof, the car is super close to me and the seller has been super friendly sending pics and copies of service records. Downside, the Box has ~20K more miles than the 911 and when you think Porsche you always think 911.

Thoughts/comments?
Personal pref. For me, the RS 60 trumps a 911. I prefer the look and I prefer the trunk/frunk combo. Don't care about the rear "seats" of a 911 as if I need seats I've got another vehicle to take instead. But obviously there are others with the opposite opinion!

Quick Reply: RS 60 "worth" it over a regular S?