Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cobb AccessPort for 2.7 to 3.4 engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 07:05 PM
wulfgang
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cobb AccessPort for 2.7 to 3.4 engine swap

I'm looking for input on a potential engine swap to turn my 981 base into an S. I found a dismantler that will sell me a similar mileage 3.4L engine and give me a $3k core refund if I bring them my 2.7L engine. So far as I know, the only other additional thing I would need is a tune for the 3.4L to be put onto my existing DME.

So what tune? It appears that the Cobb AP OTS tunes do NOT include the seemingly trivial upgrade to the GTS or 991 3.4 tune, while Softronic does include that for the same price. In addition, Softronic will give me the engine swap tune (change the 2.7 to 3.4) with the 991 upgrade, all for the same price as the AP. But... I do want that Cobb PDK tune as well. So I could potentially get a pro-tune on the AP to get the 991 power while also getting the PDK tune, but that requires a tuner who can change the displacement, which is at least a 7 hour drive for me.

So the basic question is this: can anyone recommend a Cobb Porsche tuner who can get me a remote tune that puts the base 991 maps and 3.4 displacement change onto my DME? Since it is just the base maps, it would seem possible and safe with no dyno time (not a real pro-tune), and it should get the car running with the 3.4.

As an aside, I have considered just selling the car and upgrading to an S. However, the engine swap is only about $6k for me, whereas upgrading to an equivalent S would cost me $8-10k (including tax and registration)... if I could find another one with acceptable options. Also, while in the old days of the 987, the S had several upgrades over the base (all 4 calipers, gearbox, radiators), that is no longer true. With the 981, the S only gets the bigger engine, bigger front brake rotors, and some aesthetic changes. So I'm looking into just doing an engine swap.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:13 PM
isthar
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

!!! This Frankenstein stuff can be done? Definitely gonna watch this thread... I picked up my first Porsche as a '13 Base, and I love it, I really do, but I did tune it, cuz I would love it a bit faster... and I eye S options often, and have realized as you that its' 10K+ to "Swap" (and the different just does not seem worth that), but ... Of course I wonder, if at that point you have a devalued car for resale though... hmmm...
Old 03-13-2019, 01:06 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

I think the big question is whether you can DIY the engine swap on a modern Porsche with all of the integrated electronics, especially on a PDK car, and whether the extra depreciation (compared to a S) and time spent (probably many, many hours) are worth it. Fabspeed can do remote tuning for Cobb.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:19 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

The hassle for the OP to get it “right” (and it might not ever be COMPLETELY right) is not worth the cost difference, IMO. Also, consider not just the cost difference to upgrade to a S but also come resale time, you will narrow your prospective buyers the minute you announce that this is a base with an S engine. Finally, consider that you will likely not be able to command the full asking for an S (some people care about seeing the ‘S’ on the paperwork - not saying it’s right, but it happens), so you lose $$ when you sell as well, might make this more or a “break-even” if you’re lucky? I was surprised to learn that the differences you listed between the two are correct (since the difference between the base 991.1 & “S” is 4 piston caliper vs. 6 in front, Porsche torque vectoring, etc. - that was all I could think of without looking it up &#128514. Let us know which route you go!
Old 03-15-2019, 06:10 PM
wulfgang
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
I think the big question is whether you can DIY the engine swap on a modern Porsche with all of the integrated electronics, especially on a PDK car, and whether the extra depreciation (compared to a S) and time spent (probably many, many hours) are worth it. Fabspeed can do remote tuning for Cobb.
I've done my homework here, and I'm pretty sure this is as close to a plug-n-play swap as you can get. Certainly it would be easier than any previous swap I've done. Nearly everything is identical on the 2.7 vs the 3.4: injectors, wiring harness, intake, headers, PDK, etc. are all the same part numbers. So far as I've been told, there are no changes to the electronics except for the software in the DME itself. I don't think it could possibly be an easier conversion.

But it still might not be worth the cost + the 4-5 days to swap. Anyway, I should've known better than to get a base... I live at 6800' and we're down almost 20% on torque up here. It was a stupid move, and I'm going to pay for it one way or another

Thanks for the replies and suggestion about Fabspeed.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:05 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 203 Posts

Why don't you call John T at BGB?
Old 03-16-2019, 01:50 AM
wulfgang
Intermediate

Originally Posted by A432
Why don't you call John T at BGB?
For a remote tune? I thought BGB uses Softronic tunes?
Old 03-16-2019, 07:38 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

If I were going to upgrade the engine at all, I think I'd go straight to 3.8.

OTOH $6K sounds like a pretty good deal, to put it mildly.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:53 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by wulfgang
For a remote tune? I thought BGB uses Softronic tunes?
Just about positive John or Jan (RMW, John's original tuner) can. He also has tons of experience with your swap.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:15 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Sounds like you've done your homework. If you end up doing this it would be great to post a few pics and the results of your work.

Quick Reply: Cobb AccessPort for 2.7 to 3.4 engine swap