Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at '14 981 - Is CR nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 05:09 PM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
I think if their 1/5 rating for that year was based on data, it was probably due to coil pack failures. That's about the only weakness I'm aware of the 981 cars have had. The part number for the coil pack changed at least once during the 981 production run, and I think it changed more than once. When one fails it causes several bizarre messages in the right-hand instrument display such as a problem with the PDK, driving permitted at reduced power, other random messages. If you do some internet searches for coil pack failures on 981 cars you find plenty to read. The coil packs are still somewhat prone to failure on cars that are tracked, especially those on cylinders 3 and 6 at the end of the banks nearest to the cats (or exhaust collector if race headers). You can install OEM heat shields used on the 991 cars to block radiant heat from the coil packs. I had one intermittently flaking out last summer during track days. I didn't know what it was at the time. Car would run like crap, display scary messages in the instrument cluster, and go into limp mode. I could always reset back to normal by shutting the car off and waiting a few minutes before starting it back up. Not everyone is so lucky to be able to restart back to normal operation. Sometimes they fail dead as a doornail and you will need to trailer the car to your house or a shop. I replaced all of my coil packs at 33,500 miles after I diagnosed the problem I encountered at track days at about 32,000 miles. I had done about 10 track days when the first failure occurred.

The good news is that the replacement coil packs are about $50 each and easier to install than spark plugs. The heat shields I mentioned are about $110 for the full set, IIRC.

After discussions with others who have had the problem, and a few techs at various shops, my conclusion is that the bizarre messages caused by the coil pack failure are due to corruption on the CAN bus.

Change the coil packs, install the heat shields, track your car (or drive on the street), don't worry, be happy.
‘what a great reply! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Looking at '14 981 - Is CR nuts?