Yay! My first Porsche! - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

Yay! My first Porsche!

Old 03-14-2019, 08:53 PM
kiznarsh
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UltraMagneticAL View Post
i've only put about 150 mostly highway and in-town miles on it since the previous owner didn't do the 10k mile service. bringing it in tomorrow for service, then will try to put in more miles over the next couple weeks. my local mountain roads are probably full of debris from the recent rains, so i'll probably wait a while before i rip around up there. however, here's what i noticed so far:

1. the cayman sounds much better. i don't have the PSE, but the NA motor just sounds so good. that's not to say the N55 in the M2 sounds bad...its one of the best sounding modern mass-produced turbo engines; that's just how good i think the cayman sounds
2. the cayman corners differently than the m2. it feels flatter and changes directions faster. it feels like the cayman pirouettes around a corner whereas the m2 sweeps around. the rotation in my old MR2 didn't feel that pronounced probably because of the lighter engine, but the go-kart feeling is very similar.
3. the m2 is faster around town and on the freeways. this comes from the beefier torque curve of the turbo. the newer m2 comp should be even faster.
4. the m2 cup holders are significantly better! in fact, the interior of the m2 is just a nicer place to be. even when comparing the latest 718 gts w/ my pre-lci 2017 m2, i'd rather be sitting in the m2 as a passenger. the UI of the infotainment system in the bmw is also leagues better than the one in the cayman.
First off, congrats! I'm a huge fan of the SportTechno wheels and you got yourself great options; it'd be perfect with the PSE which you could always add if you wanted.

I drove the M2 at the M Track Days in 2017 but it was only the autocross portion so I never got to see how it feels at high speeds. I'm considering renting one on Turo and taking it to the Malibu canyons as it intrigues me, being the closest thing to "old school BMW" that's offered right now. Well, minus the forced induction but can't do anything about that. It wouldn't be to replace my 987 but to experience more cars and see how it compares.

I also had an MR2 ('91 Turbo) and miss its lightness, but the 981 is no pig with a better chassis and no snap-oversteer.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:01 PM
Steve48
User

Congrats! Very interesting perspective, I’ve had many M cars and am now searching for the right Cayman.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:05 PM
UltraMagneticAL
User

Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
First off, congrats! I'm a huge fan of the SportTechno wheels and you got yourself great options; it'd be perfect with the PSE which you could always add if you wanted.

I drove the M2 at the M Track Days in 2017 but it was only the autocross portion so I never got to see how it feels at high speeds. I'm considering renting one on Turo and taking it to the Malibu canyons as it intrigues me, being the closest thing to "old school BMW" that's offered right now. Well, minus the forced induction but can't do anything about that. It wouldn't be to replace my 987 but to experience more cars and see how it compares.

I also had an MR2 ('91 Turbo) and miss its lightness, but the 981 is no pig with a better chassis and no snap-oversteer.
I may just go aftermarket for the exhaust instead of PSE. As for the m2 on track, it runs out of steam after 6k rpm. I rarely took it to redline unless i needed the extra revs thru a corner. I did the m track days too, and honestly that autocross course is as good as it gets as far as feel. It's just too short haha
Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM
ssiminou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Shouldn't CPO warranty be two years? Gorgeous cars by the way...
Old Today, 02:09 PM
UltraMagneticAL
User

Originally Posted by ssiminou View Post
Shouldn't CPO warranty be two years? Gorgeous cars by the way...
if i had bought it from the dealer, then yes. but since i bought it from a private party who bought it CPO, i only get the one year that's remaining.
Old Today, 02:18 PM
masti99
Addict
Rennlist Member

Congrats, enjoy in good health!

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: