Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a used 981 CS! Advice for track season??

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 05:47 PM
aakula
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, any recommendations on where to get 18inch wheels? I think I missed some group buying opportunities - but ideally would like to get into something less expensive, track ready and attractive (asking for a lot...I know)
Old 03-12-2019, 06:20 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by aakula
Also, any recommendations on where to get 18inch wheels? I think I missed some group buying opportunities - but ideally would like to get into something less expensive, track ready and attractive (asking for a lot...I know)
I'd look for used ones on here if you can be patient. If not, there are plenty of options out there. OZ, Apex, Forgestar, and on and on.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:48 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Lots of folks that I track with use OZ racing wheels. I’ve had good luck with mine and not too pricey. You can buy the wheels, tires already mounted, and tire pressure sensors from TireRack. Typically very quick service if the tires are in stock.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:05 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 447 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by badabing
I've been tracking a 987.2CS for 3 years and 2 of my close friends track 981 CS.

My suggestions are

RS29 pads front and rear

Fresh rotors (if you buy from FCPEuro every replacement set is free after the first set)

Castrol SRF brake fluid (don't waste time or money with RBF or others)

Caliper Stud Kit (especially if you are going to change pads back and forth between track and street)

Motive Powerbleeder

Torque wrench and socket(s)

Compact jack (the harbor freight aluminum race jack 1.5 ton is decent)

Jack stands. Jackpoint or Rennstand

Max negative camber alignment with your current setup.

Non asymmetrical tires so you can flip on rims and maximize wear (you will murder the outside shoulders until you get the suspension modded so you can

After that I would go all safety gear. Seats, belts, harness bar or bolt in cage, etc.

Track insurance. This is a must for aluminum framed cars in IMHO.
I like your list. Harbor Freight and Pittsburgh are your friends. I have the Tarett caliper stud kit on the fronts, but I don't have to remove the calipers to change pads, just rotors. Removed the pad dampeners. Are your "S" calipers different or upgraded? I know the 981 calipers have to be removed to change front pads. Looking at adjustable LCAs to get more negative camber.

09 Boxster PDK w/Sport/Sport+
Old 03-12-2019, 09:15 PM
Voyager6
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Go for the 2 ton HF aluminum racing jack. 1.5 ton jack has narrow front wheel and fell over on me and bent the jack up on a moderate 3 degree incline. Wider wheels and stronger frame of the 2 ton is much better/safer.

V6
Old 03-12-2019, 09:49 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

The 981 CS stock with good tires, is a dream car to drive and track - as all of its components are so well balanced and matched together. If I had to mod something, I would follow the path that Porsche followed to upgrade it. For the GTS, they added a center radiator for extra cooling, and a tune to give it more air intake. For the GT4, they brought in more power, bigger brakes, more cooling,adjustable (front) suspension, and rev matching. For me, most every mod, has an offsetting negative effect that takes the car out of balance, that will need a further mod. ie: Bring on more power from exhaust and tune, you better up your brake system and so on. The stock car is perfectly matched and balanced with just enough power, just enough brakes, and just enough cooling. Mod slowly. And think of durability ahead of speed. Sticky tires give you all the speed you want.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:20 PM
addysdady
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jealous!! Beautiful car. Congrats!
Old 03-16-2019, 02:21 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragingduck
Do you find there are any significant advantages/disadvantages to tracking a 981 vs a 987? I'm currently looking for an S, of course the 987 is more wallet friendly, but a low mileage 981 would probably have more life left at a cost.
I can't speak to 987.1 other than to say its accepted that they require a number of engine and cooling mods to be reliable for track use. I see many 987.1 at PCA track days so it's a popular choice.

I think 987.2 is the way to go. Many factory instituted upgrades/improvements. Active market of good used track mods (cages, seats, LCA's, etc). Many more repair options in event of a crash because of the steel chassis and frame.

981 - I recently bought a 981 GTS for street use. I haven't had time to really get used to it. Drove it a handful of times and TBH I'm not sure I like it. I feel very isolated and/or insulated. Both my friends have 981 CS cars that they track the s#$! out of and love it and have no issues. I do love the style though. Sexy car. I would not go anywhere near a track with it though without proper insurance.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:00 PM
Ragingduck
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badabing
Both my friends have 981 CS cars that they track the s#$! out of and love it and have no issues. I do love the style though. Sexy car. I would not go anywhere near a track with it though without proper insurance.
Are the 981's that much more expensive to repair over the 987's besides ACV? Aluminum frame as you mentioned?
Old 08-07-2019, 10:40 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

Strongly recommend a season of tracking as stock as possible - no matter how experienced. But... no judgement! Modding is fun and I can't help myself either

Quick Reply: Just bought a used 981 CS! Advice for track season??