Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil suggestion 90% track/10% street

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 09:27 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by djm68
It gives me a good excuse to blast your shop with broadcast emails! BTW: thanks to you and Stephen for your quick replies in clarifying my questions this week.

Best,
Dom
I'm researching a few alternative filters, including some washable filters in the next week or two. I'll likely make it part of a newsletter, but I'll post my findings when ready here.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:07 PM
Apex1
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanMadness
It looks like Mobil 1 rebranded their "European" oil to the "FS" and "FS X2" lines. I have been running Mobil 1 "European" 0w-40 (zinc level 1100) in my 987.2 without issue however, like you, I am wondering is that the best oil for track days / street driving.

I noticed they did come out with a 5W-50 that looks to be more race oriented which should work in the 987.2 S in the summer months (I would switch back to 0W-40 for the cold Midwest winters).

They also have something call Mobil 1 Racing oil but not sure how that would work in our engines along with emissions control parts such as cats (much higher zinc levels 1850)

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us...pecs-guide.pdf

I have also been looking at Driven DT and DI oils as well as Motul 300V.

Finally, I too have been looking at getting the LN adaptor, Napa filter kit along with the Deep Sump. I hear mixed reviews on if these are actually needed with a stock suspension and Michelin 4S tires as I am not pulling the Gs of a car with full race suspension and with race rubber.

Interested in continuing to see what people choose especially for racing a 987.2 S.
If you want to know where the FS brand of Mobil 1 oil came out in a non oil company sponsored comparison of 200 motor oils, including racing oils that many of us use on the track, take a look at RAT/540 blog. Read it and decide what oil properties are important to you. Engine wear, high temperature distruction effects, ZDDP additives, anti foam additives, wear additives. Two products stand out, Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 and Ams 0W-30 for heat distruction and wear protection. Its important to remember that oil formulations are designed for specific needs (M97, keeping rod bearing #6 from scarring) . You would think race oil would stand out at the top of the list as that is their only job of wear protection is very difficult environments.

Then add in the cost/hassle factor of changing oil after a weekend race because that oil has limited additives staying power for street use, making a trailer almost mandatory. Add on a billet oil filter, with 80 micron filter screen to reduce back pressure which is great for the track, not so much for daily use in my case with a M-97 motor.

This is the reason I am advocating CSF 3 front radiators, center one a GT3 with chimney, and a GT3 oil/water heat exchanger is that while running an M-97 motor, my oil wear factor, temperature and pressure margins very tight. 9A-1 engines have different needs, pistons to wall clearance is tighter, meaning the oil needs to protect the pistons from touching the cylinder walls while running at 7500 rpm and 280 degrees engine oil temps.

Last edited by Apex1; 03-22-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:57 AM
djm68
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex1
If you want to know where the FS brand of Mobil 1 oil came out in a non oil company sponsored comparison of 200 motor oils, including racing oils that many of us use on the track, take a look at RAT/540 blog. Read it and decide what oil properties are important to you. Engine wear, high temperature distruction effects, ZDDP additives, anti foam additives, wear additives. Two products stand out, Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 and Ams 0W-30 for heat distruction and wear protection. Its important to remember that oil formulations are designed for specific needs. You would think race oil would stand out at the top of the list as that is their only job of wear protection is very difficult environments.

Then add in the cost/hassle factor of changing oil after a weekend race because that oil has limited additives staying power for street use, making a trailer almost mandatory. Add on a oil filter bullet, with 80 micron filter screen to reduce back pressure which is great for the track, not so much for daily use in my case with a M-97 motor.

This is the reason I am advocating CSF 3 front radiators and a GT3 oil/water heat exchanger is that while running an M-97 motor, my oil wear factor, temperature and pressure margins very tight. 9A-1 engines have different needs, pistons to wall clearance is tighter, meaning the oil needs to protect the pistons from touching the cylinder walls while running at 7500 rpm and 280 degrees engine oil temps.
Hey Apex:

I've read RAT/540's blog, lots of info, difficult to navigate. I am using Motul 300V that falls in into RAT's 'Incredible' wear protection category, along with a number of other oils, including Mobile 1 'FS' 0w40. One issue with the Mobile 0w40 is, at some point, they changed the formulation; the new version was tested by RAT in 2016. When did the formulation change? The 'old' version had somewhat mediocre performance, according to RAT.

Like you, I am also looking for an engine oil that can last more than 10 hours before wearing out the additive package as I am not interested in trailering...yet. My next event, just next weekend, includes a 6 hour roundtrip drive, back-and-forth from the hotel to the track (Friday - Sunday event), so I will easily exceed 10 hours of running time.

Are you actually using the GT3 oil/heat exchanger on your car? It would be very interesting to know if this actually fits the M97 application. With regards to the CSF radiators: several race shops that prep Caymans for the track have tried CSF radiators, and while the CSF units are very well made and durable, they offer no additional cooling vs. stock, unless you upgrade to the GT3 center.

Cheers,
DJM
Old 03-18-2019, 02:30 PM
Apex1
Instructor

Hey Apex:

I've read RAT/540's blog, lots of info, difficult to navigate. I am using Motul 300V that falls in into RAT's 'Incredible' wear protection category, along with a number of other oils, including Mobile 1 'FS' 0w40. One issue with the Mobile 0w40 is, at some point, they changed the formulation; the new version was tested by RAT in 2016. When did the formulation change? The 'old' version had somewhat mediocre performance, according to RAT.

Like you, I am also looking for an engine oil that can last more than 10 hours before wearing out the additive package as I am not interested in trailering...yet. My next event, just next weekend, includes a 6 hour roundtrip drive, back-and-forth from the hotel to the track (Friday - Sunday event), so I will easily exceed 10 hours of running time.

Are you actually using the GT3 oil/heat exchanger on your car? It would be very interesting to know if this actually fits the M97 application. With regards to the CSF radiators: several race shops that prep Caymans for the track have tried CSF radiators, and while the CSF units are very well made and durable, they offer no additional cooling vs. stock, unless you upgrade to the GT3 center.

Cheers,
DJM
Thanks for your imput on the radiators, maybe I will delete the two side CSF radiators and go with OEM's there and keep the GT3 CSF center one/chimeny. Colin Cantrell Motor Sports said he has an older GT3 oil/water exchanger on his shelf that he knows will fit my M97 application. I recently sourced a TTP oil safe dual scavenger head oil pump and line from TTP in Germany, so that will be going on my right side head.

Last edited by Apex1; 03-22-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:24 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Motul
If you're interested, we will cover costs to send oil samples from your car to a third-party lab to show you how the additives are holding up after you put some track miles on the 300V. Shoot me a PM to arrange.

-Nolan
Damn... now that's a company standing behind their product and even going so far as to pay for critical analysis by a customer
Old 03-25-2019, 02:58 PM
djm68
Racer

Originally Posted by Motul
Our 300V 0W40 should hold up extremely well to a mix of driving to/from the track and then running it for the weekend. The typical street-driving drain interval is ~3,000 miles and a 90% track and 10% street mix would be closer to 750 to 1,000 miles, depending on engine temps, length of sessions, etc.

The 0W40 and 5W40 consumer product is exactly the same product that we ship to many of the endurance racing teams in IMSA and WEC.

If you're interested, we will cover costs to send oil samples from your car to a third-party lab to show you how the additives are holding up after you put some track miles on the 300V. Shoot me a PM to arrange.

-Nolan
Sounds good, Nolan. PM in-bound.

Cheers,
DJM
Old 04-04-2019, 10:15 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
I'm researching a few alternative filters, including some washable filters in the next week or two. I'll likely make it part of a newsletter, but I'll post my findings when ready here.
For those running an IMS Solution with a 2 quart deep sump, the Napa Gold 1068 (which is one inch longer) will work. This filter will also work with the DFI spin on filter adapter for the 987.2 and 981 models.

Likewise, I found a full flow billet filter for the track with a 45 micron element and built in magnet that should also work - the Powerfilter 10881.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:59 AM
Apex1
Instructor

Hey Apex:

Cheers,
DJM
Vision Motor Sports makes an adaptor plate for $495 for the M97 motors to more than double the capasity of the heat exchanger. For the 9A1, the fit is more straight forward as a 997.2 X51 will fit the 9A1 motor and appears to be the same as the footprint for the GT3 oil/water heat exchanger. The capasity of these heat exchangers is key- GT3 capasity is 535 cc's; 997 350 cc's; 987.1 Cayman 250 cc's. Quote from Vision/Roland back in 10-16-2013, post #3. This from a google search of GT3 oil/water heat exchanger for 987.1

I am not sure what oil flow resistance this larger capasity GT3 exchanger will have on the oil pressure.

Last edited by Apex1; 04-04-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:57 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex1
Vision Motor Sports makes an adaptor plate for $495 for the M97 motors to more than double the capasity of the heat exchanger. For the 9A1, the fit is more straight forward as a 997.2 X51 will fit the 9A1 motor and appears to be the same as the footprint for the GT3 oil/water heat exchanger. The capasity of these heat exchangers is key- GT3 capasity is 535 cc's; 997 350 cc's; 987.1 Cayman 250 cc's. Quote from Vision/Roland back in 10-16-2013, post #3. This from a google search of GT3 oil/water heat exchanger for 987.1

I am not sure what oil flow resistance this larger capasity GT3 exchanger will have on the oil pressure.
Good info. Thanks for posting!

Interested in the GT3 exchanger for my M97.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:47 PM
djm68
Racer

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
For those running an IMS Solution with a 2 quart deep sump, the Napa Gold 1068 (which is one inch longer) will work. This filter will also work with the DFI spin on filter adapter for the 987.2 and 981 models.

Likewise, I found a full flow billet filter for the track with a 45 micron element and built in magnet that should also work - the Powerfilter 10881.
Following up late:

Thanks for info on the billet filter, Charles. Do you feel that is suitable for both street and track?

DJM
Old 05-02-2019, 07:56 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Following up late:

Thanks for info on the billet filter, Charles. Do you feel that is suitable for both street and track?

DJM
I would still prefer a Napa/Wix spin on filter for the street, but technically the billet filter would work just fine. It just sacrifices filtration with a coarser micron rating to allow greater flow.

Quick Reply: Oil suggestion 90% track/10% street