Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forum Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 08:36 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Forum Confusion

I advocate for a separate GT4/Spyder forum page (not just a sub page as current, and include the Spyder since they do share DNA). Right now there's discussions about the future GT4/Spyder in multiple forum pages, and at times visiting the 718 page to talk GT4 you have to walk on eggshells. I'm puzzled as to why there is a separate 987 - 981 page when there is also a Cayman - Cayman S page which covers the 987 and 981, but not the R or GTS??? Ideally, there should be the following:

986 Boxster page
987 - 981 Boxster page (base, S, GTS and 987 special editions)
987 - 981 Cayman page (base, S, R, and GTS)
GT4 - Spyder page (or split these 2 and add the Spyder to the 987 - 981 Boxster page)
718 page (base, S, GTS)

Please consider
Old 03-10-2019, 09:38 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I think the GT4 sub-page should just be changed to “GT4 / Spyder”.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:12 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
I advocate for a separate GT4/Spyder forum page (not just a sub page as current, and include the Spyder since they do share DNA). Right now there's discussions about the future GT4/Spyder in multiple forum pages, and at times visiting the 718 page to talk GT4 you have to walk on eggshells. I'm puzzled as to why there is a separate 987 - 981 page when there is also a Cayman - Cayman S page which covers the 987 and 981, but not the R or GTS??? Ideally, there should be the following:

986 Boxster page
987 - 981 Boxster page (base, S, GTS and 987 special editions)
987 - 981 Cayman page (base, S, R, and GTS)
GT4 - Spyder page (or split these 2 and add the Spyder to the 987 - 981 Boxster page)
718 page (base, S, GTS)

Please consider
Agree with this, I just now realized there was a separate Cayman/Cayman S forum. I guess I didnt look at the forum list close enough. I've had my 981CS for almost 2 months and assumed this was the only forum.. very confusing with the mix/match of forum names based on type designation and model names..
Old 03-11-2019, 01:54 AM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, this little can of wiggly, squiggly things has been opened. I would vote for separate 987s, (all), and 981s, (all). My 981S has a lot more in common with Base 981 Boxsters than any 987. Admittedly, I know nothing about GT4s, Rs, & Spiders.

.A guy came up to me at a local Cars & Coffee to ask about my inner door sills. He wanted to see if they were getting loose & coming up. I never noticed, but they were. He said it was a common 981 Boxster problem, but he hadn't found a cure yet. IMNSHO, the All the base cars, Ss, and GTSs are kissin' cousins, while the 987 generation is a group of ancient ancestors - beloved, but ancient.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:59 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by vracer
.A guy came up to me at a local Cars & Coffee to ask about my inner door sills. He wanted to see if they were getting loose & coming up. I never noticed, but they were. He said it was a common 981 Boxster problem, but he hadn't found a cure yet.
Mine was a bit more scratched up for my taste (even at 22K miles) when I took delivery of my 981CS so I just bought a new one.. not terribly expensive as I recall..

wait, do you mean door panel? If so, then yes mine has a little gap at the top near where a traditional door lock plunger would be.. I'm under warranty and plan to get it taken care of when I take the car in next..
Old 03-11-2019, 08:59 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Speaking of confusion...I'm often confused as to whether I've entered a discussion forum or the classifieds, what with the incessant and unnecessary cross-post spamming everywhere.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:06 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

You're talking about a massive undertaking here. The Rennlist Porsche Forums, among many others, are all owned by Internet Brands. IB are not going to make any changes that don't have a positive impact on their bottom line and they've got nothing to gain by devoting human and financial resources to what would amount to a massive restructuring project.

Part and parcel to this is the paying member versus non-paying user issue. Currently, all one has to do to participate on the forums is to create a login and password. Some of the most prolific and informed people who post here are non-paying "Users." I wonder how many would stay if they (1) were required to pay an annual membership and (2) were limited to a single model-based discussion board.

To me, what it comes down to is that users should use a little more thought, discipline, discretion and courtesy with regard to posting, but I think that is highly unlikely in today's social media environment.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:51 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TMc993
You're talking about a massive undertaking here. The Rennlist Porsche Forums, among many others, are all owned by Internet Brands. IB are not going to make any changes that don't have a positive impact on their bottom line and they've got nothing to gain by devoting human and financial resources to what would amount to a massive restructuring project.
All valid points I'm sure and nothing's easy, right? Just renaming a few pages would be a big help. Is the "Cayman - Cayman S All Generations" page really all generations? We know how badly mixing the 981 and 982 went. Like one of the posts above, I just realized myself the Cayman page exists. Disappointing it somehow excludes the R and GTS.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:37 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vracer
IMNSHO, the All the base cars, Ss, and GTSs are kissin' cousins, while the 987 generation is a group of ancient ancestors - beloved, but ancient.
I think the 987 R and 2011/2012 Spyders were exceptions. I actually traded my '14 Cayman S for a '12 Cayman R. Gave me a slight increase in power, lsd, and better steering. Unlike most Rs, mine was very well optioned with a MSRP of $90k. I never thought I went backward. Plus the 987.2 S and 981 S/GTS shared the same basic motor so they will always be linked.

Last edited by MidEngineRules; 03-11-2019 at 12:47 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 03-11-2019, 07:12 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

To your original point, one simple thing IB could do to consolidate Cayman information would be to make the almost dead Cayman/CaymanS board read only (Thus maintaining the knowledge base there) and post a notice there directing users to the 987-981 board for all new posts. That doesn't really address your GT4/Spyder point though.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:40 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Part and parcel to this is the paying member versus non-paying user issue. Currently, all one has to do to participate on the forums is to create a login and password. Some of the most prolific and informed people who post here are non-paying "Users." I wonder how many would stay if they (1) were required to pay an annual membership and (2) were limited to a single model-based discussion board.

To me, what it comes down to is that users should use a little more thought, discipline, discretion and courtesy with regard to posting, but I think that is highly unlikely in today's social media environment.
It’s the Users (many who are not members, as you noted) whom create the content and the corresponding site traffic.

Massive... Really...?
Old 03-12-2019, 10:40 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BryanCO
It’s the Users (many who are not members, as you noted) whom create the content and the corresponding site traffic. Massive... Really...?
Well, maybe not "massive," but if you were going to "do it right" and maintain the existing knowledge base reorganized into a modified set of discussion boards, it would require that someone with knowledge of the various models parse individual threads on all of the current boards by model and then reorganize them into the modified set of discussion boards. That's a pretty big deal. Add to it the guarantee that users will absolutely disagree on the content (And even names) of the new discussion boards and it becomes nothing but a headache with no real benefit in the end.

Users do create the content. But if I owned this site, the current randomness of topics posted, rate of thread hijacking and excessive cross posting would give me reason to think long and hard before embarking on restructuring because in the end, there's no guarantee that users would conform to the new structure any more than they do now.

I'm not saying the OP's idea is a bad one. I'm just saying that from the site owners' point of view, it would require expenditure of significant resources with little or no ROI for them.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:59 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

To your original point, one simple thing IB could do to consolidate Cayman information would be to make the almost dead Cayman/CaymanS board read only (Thus maintaining the knowledge base there) and post a notice there directing users to the 987-981 board for all new posts. That doesn't really address your GT4/Spyder point though.
On your last point, when you open the GT4 page, it states it's "For the GT4 and similar to come Boxster" (i.e. Spyder) yet it's been used primarily as a GT4 page.
Agree with the simple COA to just make the Cayman board read only. At least that rids some of the inconsistency.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:01 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

changing the name may not have a huge impact in terms of focusing the thread(s). You would be surprised (perhaps not) regarding the errant posts on the 911 forum. As a former 911 owner and still a 911 lover, I noticed 991, 997.1, 997.2 owners posting on the 911 forum... Can you own a Porsche and not know which one you have?
Old 03-12-2019, 08:36 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by grgallo
changing the name may not have a huge impact in terms of focusing the thread(s). You would be surprised (perhaps not) regarding the errant posts on the 911 forum. As a former 911 owner and still a 911 lover, I noticed 991, 997.1, 997.2 owners posting on the 911 forum... Can you own a Porsche and not know which one you have?
Perhaps. Betting lots of 718 owners don't know they have a 982, especially most of those who also aren't forum users.

Quick Reply: Forum Confusion