Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carnewal GT exhaust from placing the order, to the sound clips

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 05:20 PM
SomnoBoost
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up Carnewal GT exhaust from placing the order, to the sound clips

UPDATED
PART 1: I know there are no shortage of threads or YouTube videos of questions and sound clips about the Carnewal GT muffler (available for 987-981), but I thought I would do a start to finish thread to cover the ordering process, delivery process, installation process, and then some before and after cold starts, warm starts, revs, drive by's and cockpit sounds from my 2009 Cayman 987.2 (40k miles). I saw something similar online somewhere but didn't bookmark it and now I cannot find it again for the life of me. So I'm making a thread of my own that should be easier to find. For those unaware, the Carnewal GT exhaust is a modification to the OEM exhaust that removes some of the noise reduction that Porsche built into the muffler for some dumb reason. The muffler mod is done by Gert Carnewal who owns a Porsche shop in Belgium. When you buy the Carnewal GT exhaust, they are used, not brand new. Gert will ship you a used exhaust that has comparable miles to your car, then you send back yours after the install. You can opt to have FedEx pick up the exhaust you are sending back right from your house for about $200. I've watched a ton of videos on the sound comparison vs. stock and absolutely LOVE the sound of this exhaust. It keeps the same flat 6 sound from the factory and makes it louder, yet still not as loud as the Fabspeed, etc. aftermarket exhausts that are louder than I care to have. Plus, in my opinion, those totally change the sound of the car. I just wanted the factory sound amplified. Carnewal makes no claims of HP gains, but I've read the louder exhaust sound shows improvement on the butt dyno.
Basically I'm making this thread because I would have found it very helpful to me, so maybe someone else has the same questions, concerns, and hesitancy as I did. Let me get started with the proces.

Ordering: I contacted Gert via email through his shop's website, to ask some questions about the process, especially since I don't typically exchange car parts between USA and Belgium. To be honest, it sounded like a big hassle. So far, it has not been. He was very quick respond with the answers to my questions and a quote for the total price for everything. As I said, they ship you the modded exhaust, then send back yours. There is a deposit of about $600 or so, which is refunded when Gert receives the exhaust that you ship back. I filled out my order form and CC info, Gert immediately emailed me and let me know he got it and started working on the order right away. He shipped the exhaust the next day. Total cost for the exhaust shipped $537. (Far less than half the cost of the full aftermarket exhausts.)

Shipping: I received the packaged exhaust just 4 days after I placed my order. Pretty fast since I live in Michigan, USA. I opted to pick up the box from the Fed Ex distribution center instead of leaving it on my porch. Plus, the less the box gets tossed around in the delivery process, the better. The mufflers were packed very well into one box that fits easily into an SUV.
Install: TO BE CONTINUED.... I have an upcoming appointment to have the exhaust installed in ArborMotion Porsche service in Ann Arbor, MI. Cost: Around $380.

So that's it for now... I'll update later this week. (Pretty disappointing so far, but it will be easier for me to update along the way, instead of all at once.)

How it fits in my 4Runner

The contents. (Always check your packages BEFORE you leave the FexEx facility. Don't wait til you get home to check for damages, you may save yourself a lot of hassle.)

Last edited by SomnoBoost; 03-23-2019 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Updated
The following users liked this post:
NP713_987S (08-09-2020)
Old 03-09-2019, 10:49 PM
higlesias
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Kudos to you for posting up.

I'll be following closely as I too am in the market for an exhaust for me 987.2 CS. There are lots to choose from but very few proper reviews with good sound and video.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:06 AM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Subscribed as I had the FD motorsports mod on my 986 Boxster and ti just got a 2009 base Cayman and looking for a similar mod.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:43 AM
Ale_72
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 74 Posts

@MerlinRS you may be interested to this thread
Old 03-10-2019, 09:34 AM
bvanlieu
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used Cantrell as an authorized Carnewal exhaust vendor out of the Seattle area. Gert's shipping that you post is very reasonable, certainly an option but Cantrell may also have used stock if you wanted to keep it in the US or were closer to them, just another option.

On a business trip I just brought my mufflers in a large bag and checked it in. Yup, it was heavy but I got the job done Dropped it off, and they did it in an afternoon.

We were 100% satisfied with the exhaust, really made the car sound angry but with no drone. We have since traded that 07 in and someone out there likely is loving the car not realizing it has the GT mod vs stock exhaust...

- b
Old 03-10-2019, 01:20 PM
SomnoBoost
Instructor

Originally Posted by bvanlieu
I used Cantrell as an authorized Carnewal exhaust vendor out of the Seattle area. Gert's shipping that you post is very reasonable, certainly an option but Cantrell may also have used stock if you wanted to keep it in the US or were closer to them, just another option.

On a business trip I just brought my mufflers in a large bag and checked it in. Yup, it was heavy but I got the job done Dropped it off, and they did it in an afternoon.

We were 100% satisfied with the exhaust, really made the car sound angry but with no drone. We have since traded that 07 in and someone out there likely is loving the car not realizing it has the GT mod vs stock exhaust...

- b
I did explore this Cantrell option, which by the way seems to be the ONLY other option to get the Carnewal GT exhaust, but by my math it was actually cheaper to buy directly from Gert Carnewal in Belgium. In my research I read nothing negative at all about buying from Cantrell, but there just wasn't much info that I found. I did read a lot about people having a good experience buying from Gert and I liked being able to ask questions directly to the guy who does the modification himself. Plus I read that a number of European Porsche owners said that they drove to Belgium to have the exhaust installed by Gert and he offers his guest house for them to spend the night in if they choose. I thought that was really cool.
Thanks for your post, I had actually forgotten about the Cantrell option since I did much of my research last summer and fall. And as far as I read, Cantrell is the only North American distributor for the GT exhaust.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:23 PM
higlesias
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Does anyone know if there is any power gains from this exhaust? if so, what might it be?
Old 03-11-2019, 12:48 AM
Ale_72
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by higlesias
Does anyone know if there is any power gains from this exhaust? if so, what might it be?
I think that 0.0bhp is a pretty accurate measurement.
but your ears will appreciate the change, subtle but still nice. At least, this is why I am still happy with it.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:37 PM
gman3280
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I emailed Gert based on your post. While the exhaust is cheaper direct from Gert the shipping puts the total package around $800 for me. I'm going to call Cantrell.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:15 PM
Goonfather
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Was there a declaration of the "cost of goods" on the package? Reason I ask, is in Australia, if the contents of the package exceed $AU1000 (not including shipping), we get slapped with customs taxes, have to get a broker involved etc, which is far more work than I'm willing to deal with.

Either way, I will be following this thread closely! Big fan of the sound, and I'm reassured to see that the results meet expectations in the real world scenario.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:35 PM
SomnoBoost
Instructor

Originally Posted by gman3280
I emailed Gert based on your post. While the exhaust is cheaper direct from Gert the shipping puts the total package around $800 for me. I'm going to call Cantrell.
That's roughly what I will pay in total after I factor in the $200 to ship the exhaust back to Belgium. I haven't yet researched what the shipping cost would be if I opted to ship it myself but I can't see it being much lower than $200, if any lower at all.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:54 PM
SomnoBoost
Instructor

Originally Posted by Goonfather
Was there a declaration of the "cost of goods" on the package? Reason I ask, is in Australia, if the contents of the package exceed $AU1000 (not including shipping), we get slapped with customs taxes, have to get a broker involved etc, which is far more work than I'm willing to deal with.

Either way, I will be following this thread closely! Big fan of the sound, and I'm reassured to see that the results meet expectations in the real world scenario.
Good question. The declaration of goods was 475 Euros or $535 US dollars, which is somewhere around $750 AU I believe. Well below that $1k you are looking for. And for the return, I will be sending the box back as "Junk parts for customization" and a declared value of $10, so that will avoid any major added charges.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:15 PM
F1Nels
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed and thanks for posting. Planning on getting the Carnewal exhaust for my 981. I believe if you don't mind the turn around time you can also ship him your mufflers for the mod, which I might do.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:32 PM
Goonfather
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SomnoBoost
Good question. The declaration of goods was 475 Euros or $535 US dollars, which is somewhere around $750 AU I believe. Well below that $1k you are looking for. And for the return, I will be sending the box back as "Junk parts for customization" and a declared value of $10, so that will avoid any major added charges.
Thanks, that's helpful. I originally reached out for a quote from Gerd, and had the intention of keeping my original exhaust, but I think the cost is bumped up if you're not doing a core exchange. That put it over the $1k threshold at the time. Might be time to reassess my needs!
Old 03-12-2019, 11:58 PM
SomnoBoost
Instructor

Originally Posted by F1Nels
Subscribed and thanks for posting. Planning on getting the Carnewal exhaust for my 981. I believe if you don't mind the turn around time you can also ship him your mufflers for the mod, which I might do.
Yes, shipping your exhaust to Carnewal to be modified is an option. It's also an option at the Cantrell shop as well, I believe.

Quick Reply: Carnewal GT exhaust from placing the order, to the sound clips