Sponsored by: APR

GT4 over-revs question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 12:55 AM
MFT
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
Default GT4 over-revs question

I've been looking at the 981 Cayman GT4 since it came out, not being in a position to get an allocation when new (like most), and then waiting (and waiting some more) for pricing in the used market to fall into the realm of reason. It seems that prices are finally creeping down, and there is a decent selection coming into Spring.

My intention would be to buy a GT4 as a CPO from a Porsche dealer, preferring to keep to the lower end of the pricing spectrum because the pricing seems to be heavily driven by mileage. Obviously not all mileage is the same as some cars may have seen heavy track use - I would be taking the car to the track several times a season, but it would mostly be used for DD and back road jaunts.

This being said, I just got the DME results for one of the more promising leads I've been looking at and there are over-revs in ranges 1-5, specifically:

Range 1: 363 ignitions @ 318 hours
Range 2: 10 @ 127 hours
Range 3: 12 @ 127 hours
Range 4: 36 @ 127 hours
Range 5: 77 @ 127 hours
Range 6: 0 @ 127 hours

The car currently has 566 hours (20k+ kms), so it's been over 400 hours since over-revs in ranges 2-5, and they all happened at the exact same time, so obviously just one event. The range 1 values seem to be a few times when it's been redlined.

Seems that dealer may still be able to CPO it because so many hours have passed since the Range 2-5 event. Not sure the risks given how long ago it was, and if under warranty then it seems that the greatest risk is to re-sale value.

Any thoughts, insights? Should I take a pass, or use these results to drive a deal on the car? It's already the lowest-priced on the market and is otherwise in good shape with no accidents and highly spec'd (sport buckets, PCCB, etc.).
Old 03-08-2019, 01:19 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 311 Posts

My understanding of this is that you divide the redline rpm's of 7400rpm (insert GT4 redline) with 60 seconds and you get 123 revolutions per second of the engine at redline. Then the limiter cuts in.
Multiply this by 3 and you have the ignitions per second of the engine at redline, 123x3= 369 ignitions per second at the rev limiter.
So you have one event with one second at the rev limiter? Shoot, I did that tonight in my PDK when I forgot I was in manual mode.

It doesn't look to me like you have anything to worry about.
Smarter guys should comment though.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:07 AM
YTownSpyder
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

I was told by my Porsche dealer that range 1-3 is standard rev limiter touching when driving spiritedly. I was told that range 4-5 is a missed shift probably while tracking the car. Do I think it is a big deal...no. But he did say he can’t CPO the car with any range 4 or 5 present. So if it can’t be CPO’d you should get a better deal. My two cents

i had zero range 4 or 5 when I traded in my Spyder. And I drove the **** out of that thing.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:04 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by MFT
Seems that dealer may still be able to CPO it because so many hours have passed since the Range 2-5 event.
If you decide to buy it, get this is writting from a senior level person at the dealrship, AND CONFIRM WITH PCNA. While the dealership may CPO the car, PCNA can still deny warranty claims based on the over-revs in range 4 & 5.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:53 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by MFT
I've been looking at the 981 Cayman GT4 since it came out, not being in a position to get an allocation when new (like most), and then waiting (and waiting some more) for pricing in the used market to fall into the realm of reason. It seems that prices are finally creeping down, and there is a decent selection coming into Spring.

My intention would be to buy a GT4 as a CPO from a Porsche dealer, preferring to keep to the lower end of the pricing spectrum because the pricing seems to be heavily driven by mileage. Obviously not all mileage is the same as some cars may have seen heavy track use - I would be taking the car to the track several times a season, but it would mostly be used for DD and back road jaunts.

This being said, I just got the DME results for one of the more promising leads I've been looking at and there are over-revs in ranges 1-5, specifically:

Range 1: 363 ignitions @ 318 hours
Range 2: 10 @ 127 hours
Range 3: 12 @ 127 hours
Range 4: 36 @ 127 hours
Range 5: 77 @ 127 hours
Range 6: 0 @ 127 hours

The car currently has 566 hours (20k+ kms), so it's been over 400 hours since over-revs in ranges 2-5, and they all happened at the exact same time, so obviously just one event. The range 1 values seem to be a few times when it's been redlined.

Seems that dealer may still be able to CPO it because so many hours have passed since the Range 2-5 event. Not sure the risks given how long ago it was, and if under warranty then it seems that the greatest risk is to re-sale value.

Any thoughts, insights? Should I take a pass, or use these results to drive a deal on the car? It's already the lowest-priced on the market and is otherwise in good shape with no accidents and highly spec'd (sport buckets, PCCB, etc.).
It seems that Porsche changes their CPO rules all of the time, but here is my understanding of how range 4 and higher over revs affect the issuing of CPO.

1.Less than 200 hours since incident. Granting of CPO not possible. Exception if vehicle received a replacement engine after over rev

2.Greater than 200 hours since incident. Tests must occur: check filter for debris, compression test, pressure loss / leakdown test, test drive for engine noise/smoking/shaking/throttle response. Results must be uploaded and a ticket filed with PCNA technical evaluation for possible approval.

Having range 4 and higher over-revs is a stigma which will always negatively affect the car's value, especially GT cars were buyers are very discerning. So it's not surprising that the car is priced attractively. I'd recommend buying the car if the dealer can CPO the car, and if you can live with the fact that the car will have to be priced below market when it comes time to sell.

Quick Reply: GT4 over-revs question