Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: Looking at 2014 Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 07:33 AM
hsattley
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Help: Looking at 2014 Boxster: FOUND ONE

Hello - first post. Just registered but have been reading for a couple months now. Currently own a Mk7 GTI but want a more fun and involved daily driver.

I have been looking for a 981 Boxster 6spd for some time and have recently come across this example: https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/inventory/used/Porsche+Boxster+Walnut+Creek+California+2014+Black+11611547

2014 Boxster
Price: $36,988
Mileage: 28,914
Colors: Black on Black
Options: Pretty light. Main highlights are convenience/Bi-Xenon w PDLS/Infotainment w Bose.

Budget is $40k with expected trade-in so this would fit right in but I would love some advice on the following things:

1) How low can I realistically negotiate since the price seems...optimistic? I ran KBB and Edmunds TMV and the market price is around $32k, but Edmunds TMV with retail says $35-$36k. 6spd Boxsters are also rare in the Bay from what I can see.
2) Should I expect any issues with trading in a VW GTI to a Porsche dealership? Fully paid off, I do 14k miles/yr and no accident history. Also considering Carmax.
3) Anyone in the Bay familiar with this dealer?
4) If I wait a year, budget will go up to $50k-$55k. Is it worth waiting? Extra power of the S isn’t a must-have (test-drove a base and loved it) and the other options I’d like (SportDesign wheel/Sports Exhaust) can be added later.

I’m in LA atm; will go see the car later next week. Would appreciate any advice!

Last edited by hsattley; 03-16-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:47 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Price does seem a little high. Try to get a CPO warranty if that is not already included.
I have a ‘14 base Cayman stripper that I absolutely love. For a modern Porsche it is relatively analog. I added the X73 sport suspension and an aftermarket non-valved exhaust (no buttons!). Good luck!
Old 03-06-2019, 10:07 AM
jeffm
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Looks like a clean car, but I agree with the other comment that it's a bit overpriced.

For slightly less than what it's offered at, I picked up my 2014 981 S. I purchased it about 11 months ago, but with higher mileage at 41k. Major difference (other than an S version) is that I have the premium package with Adaptive Sport Seats Plus and PDLS lighting system. Those 2 options combined are over $6,000 IIRC.

For the same price I'd recommend looking at some S models, if that's of interest to you. Otherwise, I'd say make an offer at $32k.

Good luck!
Old 03-06-2019, 10:31 AM
nr981
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck with the Boxster. I have a GTI also. It’s a great fun car, but I hope you know the resale value sucks. Sell it yourself if you can.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:35 AM
hsattley
Advanced

Thanks all for your comments! Glad to hear about the lower price point. Hopefully the car will still be there when I go see it next Friday haha

I've been looking at BS as well but unfortunately the closest manual S around $40k is in LA

Pep!RRRR, may I ask what exhaust you have?
Old 03-07-2019, 12:34 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Given your budget, no consideration of a new, loaded Golf R over a base 5 year old Boxster? Have you driven the car in question or another base Boxster?
Old 03-07-2019, 12:48 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by hsattley
Hello - first post. Just registered but have been reading for a couple months now. Currently own a Mk7 GTI but want a more fun and involved daily driver.

I have been looking for a 981 Boxster 6spd for some time and have recently come across this example: https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...Black+11611547

2014 Boxster
Price: $36,988
Mileage: 28,914
Colors: Black on Black
Options: Pretty light. Main highlights are convenience/Bi-Xenon w PDLS/Infotainment w Bose.

Budget is $40k with expected trade-in so this would fit right in but I would love some advice on the following things:

1) How low can I realistically negotiate since the price seems...optimistic? I ran KBB and Edmunds TMV and the market price is around $32k, but Edmunds TMV with retail says $35-$36k. 6spd Boxsters are also rare in the Bay from what I can see.
2) Should I expect any issues with trading in a VW GTI to a Porsche dealership? Fully paid off, I do 14k miles/yr and no accident history. Also considering Carmax.
3) Anyone in the Bay familiar with this dealer?
4) If I wait a year, budget will go up to $50k-$55k. Is it worth waiting? Extra power of the S isn’t a must-have (test-drove a base and loved it) and the other options I’d like (SportDesign wheel/Sports Exhaust) can be added later.

I’m in LA atm; will go see the car later next week. Would appreciate any advice!

Kbb. Edmunds. NADA. Hmm. When I bought my 981 Spyder with an MSRP of $107K in December of 2017, those resources had the full retail value in the range of high 70's to low 80's. I can still hear the laughter of the sales team as I made an offer in that ballpark.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:03 PM
hsattley
Advanced

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Given your budget, no consideration of a new, loaded Golf R over a base 5 year old Boxster? Have you driven the car in question or another base Boxster?
Hadn't considered that, but my GTI currently has APR Stage 1 low torque, so I'm not really wanting for more power. Fun factor and sound would be more important to me. I test drove a different base 981 Boxster and a Cayman S, both PDK, and absolutely loved them, but also drove a 987.2 Boxster manual and that pretty much settled the manual question for me haha.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:08 PM
hsattley
Advanced

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Kbb. Edmunds. NADA. Hmm. When I bought my 981 Spyder with an MSRP of $107K in December of 2017, those resources had the full retail value in the range of high 70's to low 80's. I can still hear the laughter of the sales team as I made an offer in that ballpark.
lol could see how that would happen. Hope it'll be a bit different with a non-limited edition Boxster; I'll probably aim for $33,500 (10% off) as my settling price.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:44 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Hadn't considered that, but my GTI currently has APR Stage 1 low torque, so I'm not really wanting for more power. Fun factor and sound would be more important to me. I test drove a different base 981 Boxster and a Cayman S, both PDK, and absolutely loved them, but also drove a 987.2 Boxster manual and that pretty much settled the manual question for me haha.
I'd take a spin in a Golf R before you spend similar money on a base Boxster, particularly if you're talking DD and not weekend canyon carver. Then again, the heart wants what the heart wants and you can't go wrong with a 981.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:06 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Pep!RRRR, may I ask what exhaust you have?
This is the exhaust I have:
https://www.fvd.net/us-en/BES9811500...d-version.html

Sounds good, but I’m a little unhappy with the amount of corrosion in only two years of summer driving.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:21 AM
hsattley
Advanced

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I'd take a spin in a Golf R before you spend similar money on a base Boxster, particularly if you're talking DD and not weekend canyon carver. Then again, the heart wants what the heart wants and you can't go wrong with a 981.
I think the R will be too like my GTI, especially since mine is Autobahn with the LSD and makes more power/torque with the ECU flash than a stock R. So for me the only real differences (AWD/styling) aren’t worth the money.

You’re definitely right about my heartstrings tugging here. I know that the Boxster won’t be nearly as good as a GTI for DD but think the trade off is worth it. I’ve heard it’s also surprisingly practical.

Plus I won’t be having kids for at least another 5 yrs so will hopefully be able to enjoy the 2 door life with my gf

Last edited by hsattley; 03-08-2019 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:22 AM
hsattley
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR

This is the exhaust I have:
https://www.fvd.net/us-en/BES9811500...d-version.html

Sounds good, but I’m a little unhappy with the amount of corrosion in only two years of summer driving.
Looks awesome; any vids to go along with? A bit concerned about the corrosion you mentioned since I live in the Bay
Old 03-08-2019, 08:29 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

For $40k I would be looking for a cherry 2008 RS60 Spyder, like in my avatar. They are all GT silver, all have full leather interiors (red or gray), all have either a red or black tops, 5mm spacers, and some have Bose and navigation. All the 6sp manuals have a unique gear shifter and the cover over the instruments was omitted. All have 19" Porsche Design wheels and red brake calipers. Essentially they are Boxster S models with a little more power and a lot of parts bin extras.

Mine had the standard radio and no Bose, but the motor is among the best sounding flat 6s (pre DFI), and these cars aren't going to depreciate much if at all. Limited to 1960 units worldwide. Each car is numbered. Mine was #600.

Also the very first Boxster to have an engine output over 300 hp.

2008 also saw a limited edition orange Boxster base and S, each 1 of 250 world wide.

987s are among the best handling Porsches, and extremely rewarding to drive. If you had a $50~60k budget I'd say find a 2011/12 Boxster Spyder for even more thrills.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:44 AM
algiorda
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

You may be better off purchasing from a non-Porsche dealer. They jack up prices to unrealistic levels; especially without CPO.

The Boxster is a very different animal from the GTI and even the CAYMAN for that matter. With the top down on twisty roads the experience is pure open sports car. Throttle the flat six and your endorphins will start pumping.

Just for reference, I purchased a 2013 Boxster Base off a non-Porsche dealer lot in fantastic shape, but with high miles (60k) for $29k; a bargain price! I purchased a 3rd party warranty.

Quick Reply: Help: Looking at 2014 Boxster