Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome vs. Black

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 01:40 PM
Fitzpat49
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome vs. Black

I am getting ready to pull the plug on getting a PSE installed along with new 20" wheels--would like advice about the better finish option: Black or Chrome/Silver.

My 981 Boxster is dk metallic blue with a matching top. The trunk badging and license plate frame are chrome. I keep going back and forth on what would look better with the dk blue and would appreciate any input. The obvious choice is to go with silver/polished wheels (OZ from Tire Rack) and get new chrome exhaust tips for the PSE. But black is a much more modern look and helps make the Boxster a little more "butch." I am strongly considering switching the trunk badging to black with a black license plate frame and ordering the wheels and exhaust tips in black.

Any thoughts? I like going all chrome/silver or all black. The major issue is how a dk metallic blue Boxster looks with black wheels.

To make things more complicated, does the Fabspeed (or Soul) exhaust tips with the "x-design" offer any performance advantage compared to the factory tips? They are about $100 cheaper, and I am thinking that the carbon fiber tips would work with the black scheme but with more visual interest.

Thanks for any opinions.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:55 PM
0-Steve
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I think silver/chrome looks best with dark blue and darker wheels look better on the lighter Sapphire blue. With that said, in case you go black, I went cheap and painted the stock exhaust tips with BBQ/Stove 2000 degree paint and really like the subtle way it came out. Matches the plastic trim. Have driven it a few thousand miles and no issues.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:10 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Fitzpat49
. . . .My 981 Boxster is dk metallic blue with a matching top. The trunk badging and license plate frame are chrome. I keep going back and forth on what would look better with the dk blue and would appreciate any input. The obvious choice is to go with silver/polished wheels (OZ from Tire Rack) and get new chrome exhaust tips for the PSE. But black is a much more modern look and helps make the Boxster a little more "butch." I am strongly considering switching the trunk badging to black with a black license plate frame and ordering the wheels and exhaust tips in black.

Any thoughts? I like going all chrome/silver or all black. The major issue is how a dk metallic blue Boxster looks with black wheels.
I've admittedly heavily opinionated in this area, which we all know is entirely subjective and based on personal taste. On a dark blue car I would not go with black anything - badges, tips, wheels - NOTHING. Chrome would be my choice. Pops nicely against dark blue. Have never understood black exhaust tips either because the tips get totally lost in the diffuser and become hardly noticeable IMO. I want those babies to stand out! I posted a comparison shot of my chrome tips next to my buddy's black tips and the difference is stark -- the black tips can hardly be seen. So my vote goes for chrome license plate frames, badges, wheels, and tips. Good luck making this call and either way post of some pics maybe once you decide and get all the pieces in place.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:24 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Tips comparison referenced above.

Buddy's car. Can hardly see the tips

Not the best side-by-side comparison, but the chrome definitely stands out more than the black tips.

I've always said, if you have great tips, be proud and show 'em off Don't hide 'em!

Old 03-05-2019, 04:22 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

What about the interior color? Considering the blue top, I am guessing it may be luxor beige or grey? Unless the interior is black, I think black wheels will look out of place but it's just me.

When it comes to the exhaust tips, I'm with Suicide Jockey. I like them to be in a contrasting color from the surrounding. Black (including carbon) only works for me if the diffuser is painted in body color and the body color is not dark.

Did you know you wouldn't have to buy the OE Sport Tips to retrofit the PSE? I know dealer says you MUST use the Sport Tips (it's because Porsche's instructions says so) but the stock tips fit perfectly to PSE. I know because I am running my original brushed aluminum finish tips with my retrofitted PSE with no issues at all. As to the possible performance advantage that the "X-pipe" design may or may not offer, although Fabspeed and Soul claim there is an advantage, I am not sold on it. I may buy them instead of OEM just because they are a little cheaper not because of the claimed performance advantage. YMMV.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:59 PM
Fitzpat49
AutoX

Default Chrome vs. Black

Thanks guys--great advice. I was teetering but I am now confident that chrome is the way to go--and the safer choice. I haven't seen any dk blue Boxsters with black wheels--there is probably a reason. BTW, the interior is full leather in Luxor Beige with mahogany trim and a leather/mahogany steering wheel. Though the Fabspeed tips look nice and are probably high quality, I am big on using Porsche OE unless there is a compelling reason--such as the OE wheels being ridiculously expensive. I am going with the OE chrome tips. You only go 'round once in life so grab all the debt you can. reusing the stock tip, as was suggested, would be the smart way to go, but nooooooo. I want the new OE version.

Again, really appreciate the thoughtful advice.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:20 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My 981 is also dark blue metallic. The tips on my PSE are black. Looks fine. Hides the carbon build-up well so I don't have to scrub the tips too often. Car originally had satin platinum wheels. Now has matte bronze wheels. Goes well with the black tips on the exhaust. Wouldn't hesitate to put black wheels on the dark blue car. I also like that idea more than the bronze that I purchased.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:08 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

I am going with the OE chrome tips. You only go 'round once in life so grab all the debt you can. reusing the stock tip, as was suggested, would be the smart way to go, but nooooooo. I want the new OE version.
Well, the stock tips and the new OE tips are actually the same thing unless you have the Base and thus the single tip. If you want chrome, you can buy new chrome tips or chrome the existing tips. Since I prefer the brushed aluminum look, I am running the stock tips as is.

Used 20" OEM wheels in a great condition are available at a reasonable price at the Marketplace here if you want to go that route. Here is an example: https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...986-718-a.html
Old 03-06-2019, 01:41 PM
Fitzpat49
AutoX

Could you post a picture? Actually, I have been thinking that bronze wheels could look good if the chrome bits were changed to black. There are so many ways to go that it's very tempting to just choose the typical direction. I would hate to spend over over $5,000 for the wheels and exhaust tips then decide that I made a mistake.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2019, 01:48 PM
Fitzpat49
AutoX

My Boxster is base with the single black tip. I will check out the used wheels as I would definitely rather get a good deal of OE wheels.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2019, 03:32 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Could you post a picture? Actually, I have been thinking that bronze wheels could look good if the chrome bits were changed to black. There are so many ways to go that it's very tempting to just choose the typical direction. I would hate to spend over over $5,000 for the wheels and exhaust tips then decide that I made a mistake.

Thanks
I assume you mean me

I'm 300 miles from home at the moment and I only have one pic of the car on my work PC. It's not from the rear to show the black tips. I'll see what I can dig up for you when I get home this weekend. Here it is on matte bronze HRE FF01's.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:15 PM
yachtfund
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Dark blue metallic is one of my favorite colors on any new Porsche. Personally I think silver wheels are always a classier option and would really make the dark blue as good as it can look. That said if you are going for a more aggressive look, black wheels still work really well with the color. I doubt that just an X pipe would make any noticeable difference in performance but Soul makes a great product and they have great systems for the 981 platform if you are open to aftermarket exhausts. Soul's straight cut tips look badass too. I'd recommend you match the wheel color with the exhaust tips color for whatever you choose for some continuity
Old 03-07-2019, 02:46 PM
Fitzpat49
AutoX

Thanks for posting the picture. The wheels and color create quite a sophisticated look. Did you have them custom-pointed? I really like what you have done with your car and look forward to seeing some more photos.

Quick Reply: Chrome vs. Black