Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with sport design steering wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 03:48 AM
dougle_turbo
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with sport design steering wheel.

My cay 2010 Cayman S.

So I purchased a sport design steering wheel from ebay I don't know what year it is, nor can I find a sticker with a part number. Someone had done a bit of a hatchet job on it and the plastics had been damaged, so I picked it up very cheaply and thought I'd try and restore it.

I Managed to get the wheel apart (serious PITA), and realised that the PCB in the wheel was damaged. Unable to find a replacement I decided to take my existing wheel apart (again total PITA) and use the PCB and loom from that.

I repaired all of the damage (resprayed the centre) and got the wheel back together and on the car. all works great....apart from the horn doesn't work. Now I might have expected this if I had just swapped them over (as per other members threads), but the new wheel has the loom, PCB, and airbag from the old wheel. As far as the car is concerned the wheel is the same. I decided to take it all apart rebuild the old wheel to check the horn and it works.

Anyone got any thoughts?

The only thing I can think is that the horn on my old wheel is activated by a magnet buried in the plastic sleeve somewhere, and the new wheel doesn't have the magnet.

The plastic sleeve the airbag sits in looks identical except it has slightly different mounting points so can't be transferred over to the sport design wheel to test the theory.

Quick Reply: Help with sport design steering wheel.